Ladies I am totally overwhelmed

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
amysconfections

Re: Ladies I am totally overwhelmed

Post by amysconfections » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:17 pm

Carrie had some great wisdom in her post for all of us. I do have one book that has helped me tremendously with hormone issues, depression and anxiety. It's called The Mood Cure. Now, my issues were not severe. But there were some areas that I was lacking. Also there were some good recommendations on what foods to avoid, such as soy, for depression. Soy blocks serotonin. It's a quick read with charts to help you quickly assess and read about your specific area you need help in. Nothing really expensive in it at all.

I hope you feel better soon. It's already a uphill battle raising kids, homeschooling and keeping a home. Add health problems to the mix and it feels impossible.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

Yaya68

Post by Yaya68 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:01 pm

Just my .02...perhaps if your older DC are not available to help with the littles, then maybe, just maybe, a fellow homeshooled teenager/friend can come over for 1 hr to help out? My girlfriend (50+) does this as she has special needs kiddos and she said this is a God sent. Not sure of she pays or barters, but in either case...the teen offers a world of help. HTH
Sonya

wife to a great man for almost 25 blessed years!!
ds- Bible College
ds- Jr.college & work force
ds 10th
ds 4th
ds 3rd

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:39 pm

Yaya68 wrote:Just my .02...perhaps if your older DC are not available to help with the littles, then maybe, just maybe, a fellow homeshooled teenager/friend can come over for 1 hr to help out? My girlfriend (50+) does this as she has special needs kiddos and she said this is a God sent. Not sure of she pays or barters, but in either case...the teen offers a world of help. HTH
This changed my life! We have had a sweet homeschool gal come a few hours at a time a few afternoons a week for the past 6 years, and it has been a huge blessing (both for her and for us, I think)! I'm going to be her personal attendant in her upcoming wedding, and we are meeting this weekend with her fiancé to see if we can figure out a way for her to keep coming at least a few times a week in this new chapter of her life. I started this when I was sure we didn't have the money, and yet we found the funds for it somehow by cutting corners on other things, and by me tutoring some afternoons to make a small income. Before I did this, my sister and I traded off a few afternoons watching each other's dc, so each of us could have a free afternoon each week. If there are no funds, I'd babysit an afternoon each week to have the funds to pay someone else to come once a week for me. I'd look at it as a playdate for my kiddos and then a needed afternoon for me. :D

I also wanted to thank Carrie for taking the time to type out all of those wonderful ideas. It was like reading conversations Carrie and I have had the past few years about what is going on in our lives, and it is very similar to what is going on in all of yours! This is a stage in life to guard against becoming 'burned out' and 'stressed to the max.' There are gems of advice in that post that Carrie did, worth reading and pondering. I am finding myself more willing to try to make changes now that will make it possible for me to 'run the race to the finish line' with homeschooling our dc. It is a marathon, and longevity doesn't just happen. It takes real thought and planning, and time spent in the Word and on my knees. It is not easy. But then most things that are worthy endeavors in life aren't. :wink: I realized awhile ago that I can't put my health on hold forever - I need to have time to take walks now and then and try to eat right more than I don't too; my relationship with my dh can't take a backseat for the next 15 years or we won't know each other - so a date out with him a few times a month needs to happen now while we are still both here; I can't skip my Bible time each day to race into my teaching time for school or I won't know my Lord and Savior very well - and He may very well not know me when I go to meet Him someday either! And the list goes on. When it seems there is no time for these things, I have to rethink things and make time. I don't do this well all of the time, but I am beginning to understand that these types of things are the 'balance' my life needs for me to keep going with what I feel is my purpose for the Lord in life. Life is precious and to be lived today. It's a dangerous business putting important things on hold. So, I hope this school year we can all find 'balance' in our lives, in our relationships, and in our homeschooling! Blessedly HOD makes that about as easy as possible. That is one thing I know for sure and thank God for daily. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie