JULIE (my3sons) - Scheduling Question. . . .

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Re: JULIE (my3sons) - Scheduling Question. . . .

Post by my3sons » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:05 pm

jenn in nc wrote:
momtofive wrote:We're really focused on not stressing out about how long things take this year. In the past we've done that, and I feel like we've lost the blessing of our studies that way. Our main focus is to do quality work and really LEARN, even if it takes a bit longer. The funny thing is, now that we're keeping the focus where it should be, our days are actually fitting into where we wanted them to without us even trying! :D
I've wondered about doing things this way... but I am afraid I have at least one who would take twice as long to do everything if I approached our day this way. Do all of your dc stay reasonably on task with this approach? Just curious because I really love the sound of this! I'd love to know how you make this work.

Jenn
Hi Jenn! I just thought I'd mention a few things that have taken the pressure off the 'time' spent doing school. Setting the timer for the suggested time allotments for a subject area, and when the timer rings setting that subject aside to finish at the end of the day independently is one thing that has helped. That way, my creative Riley can take a long time on the more artistic things without extending MY day. :D I've also noticed he begins to choose how much he truly cares about this, whereas before he just took as long as he wanted with no thought. So, he knows we've figured about 'x' amount of time to complete a box, and if he chooses to go over, he'll be finishing it at the end. Sometimes, if it's nice weather, he'll forego the artistic devotion to finish on time to be outside instead at the end of the day. Some of his best creative endeavors have been on blizzard days! :D

Another thing we do is just plan more time in the day for the things that take a particular child longer. Emmett takes longer with copywork, and I do believe he is actually trying his best. So, I might allot 20 minutes instead of 10 minutes (per say) for that for him.

Finally, putting independent subjects at the end of the routine helps ensure that my more teacher-focused part of the day is done at the time I want it to be. Then, later I simply have to correct the work.

I hope these few tips may help, but I know Lisa will probably have some great insight as well!!! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:49 am

jenn in nc wrote:
momtofive wrote:We're really focused on not stressing out about how long things take this year. In the past we've done that, and I feel like we've lost the blessing of our studies that way. Our main focus is to do quality work and really LEARN, even if it takes a bit longer. The funny thing is, now that we're keeping the focus where it should be, our days are actually fitting into where we wanted them to without us even trying! :D
I've wondered about doing things this way... but I am afraid I have at least one who would take twice as long to do everything if I approached our day this way. Do all of your dc stay reasonably on task with this approach? Just curious because I really love the sound of this! I'd love to know how you make this work.

Jenn
Haven't forgotten you, Jenn! ;) In the past we have allowed ourselves to get stressed out worrying about how long each box in the plans was taking us to get done. Sometimes it just plain takes longer to do certain things than what the suggested box times recommend. They are just guidelines, and for everyone this will look different based on your students, and the your dynamic in your household. For us, my ds was getting very stressed because he didn't want his day to go too long. I sat down with him and explained that the whole purpose of his education was to LEARN and to enjoy learning all the wonderful things God has for us to know about! :) If he's rushing through his work to get done at a certain time, he was losing the blessing of just that. So for us, we are focusing on truly learning, and also taking time to develop the skills that are being taught.

In the day to day, we do have a schedule that we go by, but it's not a minute-by-minute, set-in-stone type of thing. It's more routine based, and I've tried to work in extra time for certain things that I know will take certain children longer to do. ;) So, yes my children do stay reasonably on task, but I'm always in the schoolroom with them through the day (usually working with someone! ;)), and I keep them accountable for the work they are doing and the time they are investing in it. I always encourage the children to move along through their subjects keeping a nice pace (so no lolly-gagging ;)), but the importance is placed on what is supposed to be accomplished by that assignment and truly learning the material (not just racing through to be done)! :D

One other thing I tried to do when coming up with a good order of our subjects for the day, was to take into account what subjects will take certain children longer to do. For instance, my second oldest guy in REV this year, LOVES doing his science and does best when there is an open ended amount of time for him to do it. So I place science at the end of his day, so he can take as long as he needs, and has that motivation through the day of his science to look forward to. Main thing, I guess is to just take each of your children's natural bent into mind as you plan out your day, and teaching times. This took me a while to finally come to, but has been a HUGE blessing this year!

Praying this is helpful, Jenn! Blessings on your year! :D
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

jenn in nc

Post by jenn in nc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:46 am

Julie and Lisa, I just wanted to take a second and tell you both thank you for taking the time to answer my questions from a few days ago. Coming up with a good schedule is always one of the hardest parts of a new year for me. I've got a list with many of your suggestions written down and I'm knee-deep in guides and books and proposed schedules! Don't know what I'd do without you ladies. It's so nice to be able to come to this forum for help and encouragement when needed. :)
Jenn, mom to 10