Well, added #3 into the mix

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MelInKansas

Well, added #3 into the mix

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:10 pm

My daughter is so very proud to be starting her first day of LHFHG today and I was amazed at how much of it my 2YO got into also. Of course Rhyme in Motion (which he also loved in LHTH). It was so hilarious that they were dancing along, Leaping to North America, Waddling to Antarctica. Then he tagged along for our science activity demonstrating that God said "Let there be Light" and there was light. Then my 5YO and 2YO took the flashlights and ran around squealing and screaming for a while which of course they thought was fun. The first page of The Reading Lesson was cake for her (I knew it would be) and she wanted to do it twice. I had her decorate a cover for her new notebook to keep all of her papers in, and we created a sticker chart for The Reading Lesson so she could put a sticker on it each day.

Less than stellar perhaps was her wiggling and hanging upside down and basically not paying attention during the History reading, I had to keep calling her back to it. Oh well... I think it will get better. She loved Storytime!

I am so thankful for HOD!
Attachments
Fun with Flashlights!
Fun with Flashlights!
IMG_3752_small.JPG (35.26 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
Her new guide!
Her new guide!
IMG_3751_small.JPG (29.71 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Re: Well, added #3 into the mix

Post by Nealewill » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:32 pm

Congrats!!!! So fun! Glad she is so excited!
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:29 am

This is adorable! The history sounds normal to me. At this age they are just learning to listen to books like that. I remember my son tunneling under pillows during history. He really enjoyed the Bible readings though. So just see it as a skill to develop and grow. 5 is suppose to be wiggly. Oh but a snack during reading sometimes can slow them down. I think i finally resorted to that. LOL

They sure look happy! This is wonderful.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:14 am

How fun! Sounds like you had a great start.
We started Little Hearts today - my children has just as much fun with the flashlights :D
Enjoy the rest of your week!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:30 am

Sounds like you had lots of fun! I agree with the other ladies, wiggling is normal at this age. I always read during snack time so he had to be still.
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:50 pm

I have trouble keeping this child still even when she is eating (or supposed to be eating). She is a very active child (different in this way from her older sisters). I think LHFHG will be perfect, she is ready for more challenge and I love how active it is! I want her to do her best to try to pay attention and I have been asking her questions to make sure she is at least engaged somewhat. She loves Storytime and has already shown me she is more than capable of paying attention when she wants to!
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

forever lovers

Post by forever lovers » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:13 pm

Your little ones are so cute! :) I've been meaning to thank you for your reply to my hands on question post a couple of weeks ago. I have really enjoyed what you've shared on different topics. You sound like an experienced HOD mom :) I'm looking forward to chatting more in the new school year ahead. Our box of goodies arrives on Friday, we're all so excited to see everything! :D

Gyminey

Post by Gyminey » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:50 pm

FYI, The Reading Lesson has a free progress chart and completion certificates on their website. My little guy loves to sticker off each lesson as he finishes :)
Amanda
"I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth."
Have used LHTH - Rev to Rev

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:25 pm

Oh my goodness - your little sweetie is just the cutest little gal with her cheeky grin and LHFHG guide!!! :D I am so glad adding #3 into the mix went so well! Your little ds is precious too. I'm getting a little teared up actually thinking that I won't be doing LHTH and LHFHG again (until grandchildren someday maybe?!? :D ). Those are awesome memories. Thank you so much for sharing, MelInKansas! :D I hope your year is full of just such special moments like this!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:31 pm

Thanks everyone! forever lovers - I love the connection and fellowship and support I have found on this board and I do hope we get the chance to connect more as the year goes on. TruGRIT I'm glad to hear your dc are enjoying LHFHG too. It is so fun, you kind of forget how much fun it is until you do it again. It is interesting fitting it in between all the other guides though, the last time(s) I did it there was a little bit less going on. But somehow we make it all work.

Yesterday when we started Unit 2 and it was time for the Rhyme in Motion my son said "Leap leap!" I said "No, we're not doing Leap Leap today we're learning a new rhyme!" He was a little confused. But he likes this one too and my DD picked it up quickly because there was more repetition.

My 3rd born DD is (as I explained before) a very active, busy child. She is smart, and she is ready for more intellectual challenge but I think a textbook based curriculum, or even one that involved sitting and listening to a lot of read-alouds would not work nearly as well for her as HOD will. The active, hands-on, with just enough book work thrown in to help her grow, is perfect. She loves "Do it Carefully" and would like to do that every day. I did some of the other R&S workbooks with her last year and she enjoyed those too, but I skipped Do it Carefully and Finding the Answers since I knew we would be doing those this year. She also enjoys the Bible stories along with the history in History for Little Pilgrims and History has been going better, especially when there are fun activities to go along with it.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven