Finishing SM 6B in 6th grade...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MomtoJGJE

Finishing SM 6B in 6th grade...

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:33 am

I know I've asked similar questions before... but my search isn't coming up with anything.

Jayden is good in math. She will be in 6th grade this year and will be finishing up 6B at least by the end of the year. Would I simply do DM to get time between now and 8th grade?

I guess I'm asking because I keep seeing where it's ok to go into algebra from 6B. I guess I'm just not understanding why I wouldn't just go on to algebra with her? Is there a reason other than just doing algebra in 8th or 9th grade?

mamanlait

Re: Finishing SM 6B in 6th grade...

Post by mamanlait » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:44 pm

Lora Beth,

Basically, you can give Algebra a try in 7th grade but don't get frustrated if it is too abstract for your dc. We finished 6B at the very beginning of 7th and moved over to an Algebra program (and dd was totally confused). I waited almost a full year to try Algebra again. We did a pre-algebra book (which was almost all review) and then went back and did Singapore 6b again and some of 6a. I had DM 1a on hand but I didn't feel confident teaching it.

We just started Algebra (again) last week and it's like a completely different child. She understands, has stronger math skills, and is excited to be learning about variables. :)

I think age has everything to do with algebra readiness but that's just my experience.
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:51 pm

Gotcha... so basically it is an age thing, right?

Jayden completely gets algebra (well, I suppose pre-algebra with algebraic concepts thrown in) because that's what I use to teach her some of these problems in 5A/B that I can't figure out the way they are teaching it :shock: It's rare, but there is a problem about once every 6 weeks or so that we just can't figure out the way they are doing it and the way we've been doing the rest of them. So I'm like "ok, don't know what they want you to do, but see if you can solve for 'x'". So I'm thinking that another year and she'll be good to go. Or I'll stumble across a wonderful can't miss pre algebra program in the meantime ;)

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:49 pm

I think it is more of an age thing and the way the brain matures. If she is getting the algebraic concepts though she very well may be ready for algebra in 7th grade. Our public schools here do algebra with their AG kids in 7th. I think it is a very individual thing when a child is ready to think abstractly and be able to get the algebraic concepts. In general girls I think get there quicker than boys. My dc finished 6B in 5th grade and we ended up going on to DM 7A. It just didn't mesh with us so in 6th grade we decided to do Art of Problem Solving Pre-Algebra. That worked out well for us. If they had been a bit older though we would have just gone straight into Foerster's Algebra. I think it sounds like Jayden will likely be ready to move straight into Foerster's for 7th grade. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:33 pm

It probably also has to do with how mathy the family is in general. We speak math algebraically from the beginning. We start writing it soon after.

I remember doing algebra in 5/6 grade on the bus, helping out the older kids. My dad had done the same thing with me that I'm naturally doing with my kids.

So I think at this point my plan will be to see what happens this year... you know how things sometimes just happen to get in the way of plans. Then I'll probably let her go through either DM or a pre-algebra thing at her own pace and see what happens with that. If at that point she starts algebra in 7th, then she does, but if she doesn't she doesn't.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some really huge reason I was missing as to why we HAD to wait.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:41 pm

Have you considered maybe doing No-Nonsense Algebra as more of a pre-algebra course and then doing Foerster's for Algebra 1? You might go a little faster at times if you do both (just because things will be a review, etc), but it would spread things out a little at least.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:58 am

I really haven't considered anything yet... but that is a great option! I'm assuming Foersters is more difficult?

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:16 am

Yes, Foerster's is honors/pre-AP level for Algebra 1, while No-Nonsense is more of the regular/basic option. I know Foerster's has some challenging word problems in it with each unit, etc, which I think is why many students who are not math=y or strong in math can struggle with it.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:39 am

Awesome info! Thank you!

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:55 am

At the convention this year, I specifically asked Julie and Carrie what would recommend if you finish Singapore 6B by the end of 6th grade, they recommended taking a year and completing No-Nonsense Algebra for 7th grade. And then once the child is in 8th grade, they recommended completing Foersters.

If you plan to use VideoText Algebra though, you would complete Level A in 7th grade, level B & C in 8th grade and then Level D, E, and F in 9th grade. You could move faster if you wanted to as well but this schedule would put you at pre-algebra for 7th, Algebra 1 for 8th and then Algebra 2 for 9th.

BTW - My kids are also on the young end and I am sweating it. I am a little bit stressed because I wonder, can they do the algebra earlier or not? Very confusing because I know that sometimes age brings wisdom here for harder abstract concepts LOL. Before finding HOD, I always planed VideoText. After finding HOD, I thought Foresters. However, VideoText is back to winning for the moment. I will pray for your decision as you navigate this stage of your child's life :-) My dd is only 5th grade and while we didn't use the Singapore program , we used another program that taught math very similarly and she has mastered the concepts up through Singapore 5B. I pretty much refuse to do Singapore 6A with her next year because she is so young. But my plan is to make a decision on VideoText or No-Nonsense algebra for 7th grade. So please pray for me too :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM