Need some encouragement!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
4froggies

Need some encouragement!

Post by 4froggies » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:36 pm

Hi! I could really use some encouragement as we get ready to start another school year. I have five kids 15,11,8,5,2 and am expecting #6 at the end of September/ beginning of October. I have been planning in using CTC with my 11yo dd(6th) and Bigger with my 8yo ds, along with LHFHG half speed with my 5yo ds. I wrote out our schedule and just looking at it and imagining a newborn mixed in just stresses me out!! I have done CTC before with my oldest, so I know they do a lot independently, but I do remember them being very full days! And I only had 4 back then...

I have even thought of selling the HOD packages I bought for some textbooks for science and history! Help me stick with HOD- I thought God had led me here and given me peace but I am struggling now! :/

Thanks!
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

jenn in nc

Re: Need some encouragement!

Post by jenn in nc » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:26 pm

I just finished doing CTC with my 12 year old with a newborn in the house (born in February) and I found that it could be done pretty independently if needed. That is not ideal of course, but it was doable on the days that I really needed him to be able to operate with less input from me. There were many days that narrations didn't happen until dinnertime or while we were chopping veggies up for a salad or folding clothes or something. And there were days that he did his own reading instead of me reading aloud, and then told me about it. By the end of the year he was printing up his own maps and such.

We were also running several other HOD programs. It was busy but doable. Every time I got into a pinch of some sort, or things were just not working out well for some reason, the ladies on this board helped me think it through and come up with a new way to do things.

We have used a lot of different programs over the years. Last year with HOD was by far our best year, even with a new baby in the house. We went half speed for a while, and that helped. I would really encourage you to stay with HOD. If your kids are placed in the right levels and if you are willing to slow things down for a while after the baby is born, I think you'll be fine. Your kids will be happier (and therefore you'll feel much better about things) if their days are spent in a dynamic, lively program like HOD ... much better than a house full of kids who hate school and resist it because it is all dry textbooks.

Praying for peace for you. :)
Jenn, mom to 10

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:33 pm

It can be done! Newborns really throw a lot of unknown factors into the mix, but I find it easier to HS with a newborn in the house than a 1 year old or maybe even a 2 year old. I am guessing you may have done that before. I do make a schedule but I rarely stick to it completely and the schedule stresses me out more than just trying to establish a routine, what things go in what order, so the older children know what to do without needing my guidance all the time and so everyone is happier in their daily tasks. It is daunting and schooling so many different kids is a big task no matter how you do it. With HOD they are getting such a full and well-rounded education, and full of activities that help them retain and remember things and really enjoy their learning. Try to adjust things as needed - is there anything your DH can do with the kids in the evening on a fairly regular basis? Math became that for us. Both DH and I are good at math but he is more thorough and patient and they enjoy doing it with him so much more than with me. I do some of it with them during the day and he grades and reinforces it.

I guess my thought for you is to relax and trust. God has always provided for me when I have placed it in his hands in prayer and asked Him for guidance. In every season with every mix of kids I have looked at it and felt myself incapable, or needed wisdom beyond myself to even figure out how to get it done. And yet, I have been able to joyfully (usually) school my children and seen them make such amazing progress that I don't think would have happened without the tools HOD provides (and a lot of grace and prayer and deep breaths at times).

I am having a baby in January. I have no idea what school will look like at that point, but as jenn mentioned you can always go 1/2 speed for a while, take a few weeks of just math and reading, or try to have the oldest do more things independently for a little while. I do it for a day at a time with my Preparing child even - she reads History or Storytime and does it on her own instead of doing it with me. But I do want to make sure I am following and she is understanding and doing everything she should to the fullest so I don't do it too much.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:09 pm

I also think newborn time is much easier to school than when they are in that 1yo time (from walking until a little after they turn 2 :shock: ) but my suggestion is to stay with HOD, plan slow/light days for when you need them (in other words don't get upset if you only get a few boxes done in a day) and print everything you'll need for the year out and put it in a binder with holes punched. Like maps, science experiment pages, blank white paper for notebooking stuff, watercolor paper for CTC, regular notebook paper. Just go ahead and have that DONE at the beginning and then it'll be there. Teach the kids to write what unit/day it is on the page and to put it in the correct spot when done with it. Those things make or break our day much faster than anything else....

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:10 am

I just want to encourage you as well! As the ladies wisely said, it can be done! :D I would look at this year as progression forward at the pace you can. Give yourself some grace on the days that are harder, and assign more independence if needed. I'd also have your olders take turns playing with the youngers. Your oldest could even do a box or 2 of LHFHG with the little one. Our oldest ds has done this with our youngest, and they both thoroughly enjoy it for their 'playtime.' :D They often choose to do science together, or Bible memory work that has active components (i.e. throwing pair of socks in laundry basket and saying Bible verse when they make it.) I'd not give into the allure of textbooks. They are lifeless and not memorable (IMO). The science in CTC is independent anyway, as is a good portion of the history. Your BHFHG user may be able to take over the science readings mid-year as well. Full-speed CTC, BHFHG, and half-speed LHFHG is definitely doable, even with a newborn. I'd get my ducks in a row beforehand and put together a good routine using the "Let's Share Our Schedules" link for ideas. You can do this!!! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

4froggies

Post by 4froggies » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:56 pm

Thank you so much for the encouragement, ladies! I started organizing the school room and getting everything organized for Bigger & CTC today. Just doing that made me feel so much better. Thanks again!
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:22 pm

No words of advice - just wanted to say I believe you can do it!
Cleaning/organizing the school room is such a big help in this. I am doing that now. Allowing some days of gentle instruction helped me a lot as well.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)