which independent books for Preparing?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jenn in nc

which independent books for Preparing?

Post by jenn in nc » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:55 am

Hi everyone,

I'm gathering the books we need for Preparing and I am a little confused about the independent readers... maybe someone can help straighten things out in my mind??

We have most of the books for the basic package already, and if I understand it right, those are scheduled in the Storytime (read aloud) plans... right?

So then the Deluxe package are independent readers at about the 4th grade level, but I can't tell where they are scheduled? Are they for Independent History Study maybe? Looks like at least the drawing book is in there.... Are these scheduled in the daily pages?

So then there is the Extension package, which (if it is like CTC was for my older child last year) would be a separate independent reader list in the appendix. Right?

Okay, so I think for my 5th grade girl, I should order both the Deluxe package *and* the extension package?

I hope this makes sense to someone here because all this book ordering is making my eyes cross. :?
Jenn, mom to 10

Motherjoy

Re: which independent books for Preparing?

Post by Motherjoy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:59 am

For a child that places in Preparing, the independent history readings are scheduled daily in the Independent History box. Some days there is very little reading, and more writing and drawing. Some days its reading and narrating. It changes up a bit, so the children aren't bored. For children that are older or need extensions, the independent readings are scheduled in the back of the book.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

jenn in nc

Post by jenn in nc » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:07 am

Thank you, MJ! :)
Jenn, mom to 10

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:24 am

For the ones who need extensions they would still do the guide as written (including the Independent History box which is the "self-study Deluxe History package") and then they would also add in on top of the regular work the extension schedule in the back of the guide, which would be the "self-study extension package for older students"

so for ease of explaining, with a child who was doing extensions, if you were ordering straight from the website, you would need:

Economy package
Science adder
Basic package
Self-study extension package
self-study deluxe history package

jenn in nc

Post by jenn in nc » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:06 pm

MomtoJGJE wrote:For the ones who need extensions they would still do the guide as written (including the Independent History box which is the "self-study Deluxe History package") and then they would also add in on top of the regular work the extension schedule in the back of the guide, which would be the "self-study extension package for older students"
Oh I'm glad you mentioned that they should do both... last year I had two kids in the extension range of the programs they were in (CTC and MTMM) and originally I had them doing only the extension readings. I thought they were supposed to do one or the other. But we eventually added in the regular readings because they were such great books and we didn't want to miss them.

So I'll plan to get both sets for my daughter going into Preparing. Thank you!

Jenn
Jenn, mom to 10