Checklist - Four guides

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Motherjoy

Checklist - Four guides

Post by Motherjoy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:19 am

I found this great CM-inspired checklist, and I thought that I would tweak it for our family. An hour later I have a very overwhelming sheet of paper that shows all I'm supposed to do in our homeschool for one week. I want to simplify. Sigh. But I'm not sure how. You can see that I want to do a "Morning Time" of learning with everyone. This won't take too much time, as each subject takes only a few minutes, and my plan is to go over this at breakfast. The poetry that is listed in the Morning Time will be from the Preparing guide that I'm doing with three of the kids. The scripture memory and hymn study listed in the Morning Time will be from the WH guide that my oldest is doing. I'll omit the scripture memory from the Little Hearts guide and from the Preparing Guide and we will all work on the WH guide's memory passages. At least, that's the plan for right now. The darker cells represent the subjects done on that day. So, what do you think? Does this look doable to y'all?

Image11738403-0

(Part of post removed by board moderator per board rules)
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

Tidbits of Learning

Re: Checklist - Four guides

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:05 am

I would not do the scripture memory from WH (the high school guide?) with everyone. The passages are much larger and are much more complex concepts I believe. I get that you want to do some things together and all, but I wouldn't try to have my Preparing and Little Hearts kids try to do anything from the WH guide. I guess by that time I am looking for my high school kid to be taking scripture and really debating and processing meaning to determine what they truly believe from scripture. I think there is a much different goal in scripture study at the high school level than at the lower levels. Do you know what I mean?
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

Rice

Post by Rice » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:09 am

I am just coming to HOD and am looking for a similar checklist myself, so I'm not sure I can help with whether it's doable or not, but I do have a suggestion for simplifying it visually, at least a little bit: You could take the subjects that are just once a week or alternating days (especially ones that rotate in the same box in the guides) and put them on the same line, noting which day they belong. It would also break up the chart visually a bit to make it easier to read. For example, in Little Hands Science, Art, Drama, Thinking and Music could all go on the same line. In WH Eng. and Comp. could go on the same line.

Another thing that my old one has (since I can only print in B&W) is heavy lines between each student so it's easier visually to see if a student is done their work on a given day.

Thanks for sharing your checklist. I hadn't started modifying mine for HOD yet (I'll have 4 students in 3 guides plus 3 pre-schoolers/babies) but now I know it CAN be done!

If you'd like to see mine (I don't know how to get it up for everyone to see and don't have the time to figure it out right now) you could PM me and I'll send you a copy. It won't be till the end of the first week of August, though, since we're away this coming week.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:57 am

Thank you, Rice. Those are very helpful suggestions. Just reformatting it that way has made it seem so much simpler. THANK YOU!!! :)

I can do memory work that is tailored to each kid, but it will just take longer. I'll probably have to print out their memory work or use a memory box (part of post removed by board moderator per board rules) to keep it all straight. But, I could go around the table at breakfast and have everyone recite their verse. That would be good.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:58 am

I like reviewing our memory passages at the breakfast table with everyone together. It gives everyone a part to play and something to proudly say with the others. But I too would not suggest doing the scipture memory passage from WH with all of your kids. My child in Preparing does long passages, I can only assume by the HS level they have them memorizing larger chunks even and I think that would be too much for the younger ones. I would just have each do their own and maybe pick one of them each day to discuss all together. Also the memory verses often go with some of the lessons from the History stories, really bringing home the point or character qualities the kids learn. Keep each one with their own guide! You can choose to do the discussion of the Bible story with them each individually during their school time.

Trust me it will be much easier overall to have each kid doing the scripture from their guide, even if you do have to write it out for them. With the music CD in the younger guides, if they get a chance to listen to that, they will be doing them in no time!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:47 pm

I think your idea to do Bible memory work together is a good one. We work on chapters of the Bible together. The little ones don't get all of it all the time, but they do get big chunks of it, and it is definitely something we can all do together. I can't get your sheet to pop up bigger on my computer, so I can't comment on that.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:31 pm

Even if you do the memory verse together, I wouldn't skip the Bible box in LHFHG. It is tied into the history. I know this is the case for LHFHG and Beyond, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for later guides as well. We don't focus on memorizing the verse, but we do read the verse each day and discuss how it relates to the history (as indicated in the Key for the box). In Beyond, there is even more in the box, and it really adds meat to the lesson.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:58 pm

The Bible in Little Hearts isn't vital, especially since it just memory verses and a devotional just once a week. Not that it isn't good, but when looking at ways to shave minutes here and there, its on the chopping block. We will be covering Bible in many other areas (church, family worship, morning time, etc.) I don't mind skipping boxes. Its the only way that I can make HOD work for our family and trying to juggle so many guides, and the other needs of our home. I only mention this, so that if there are other moms reading they don't feel trapped by what's written on the guides. There are lots of ways to use HOD and using it exactly as written is only ONE way. :) I've been homeschooling long enough to know that trying to do something just because I'm "supposed to" never works.

I can't figure out a way to attach the file so that its viewable by everyone.

Thanks again, Rice. The simply advice has really streamlined the look of the checklist, which has made it easier to see how my day will run.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:37 pm

Motherjoy wrote:The Bible in Little Hearts isn't vital, especially since it just memory verses and a devotional just once a week. Not that it isn't good, but when looking at ways to shave minutes here and there, its on the chopping block.
I guess reading this struck a chord. :( The Bible in Little Hearts was more than just memory verses and a devotional to me and our dc. Having done it 3 times as well as just having done the WG guide and looking ahead to the WH guide's Bible, it would take me more time to get my little one to do the WH Bible Memorization along with my oldest than it would to have him do the more age appropriate LHFHG Bible time. Discussing the meaning of the Bible verse and sharing it with someone special, as well as discussing the devotional's story, Scripture, doing the questions, saying the prayer, and singing the hymn come to mind as being precious memories to me (especially as Emmett often called my Dad to share his memory verse each week, and my Dad has now passed away). HOD would never advocate skipping boxes, as that would be skipping skills. This shows up as gaps in learning later, which is never as easy to go back and fix as it would have been just to teach it the first time. It would be better to go half-speed for awhile and do all the plans/skills in a guide than to skip things and move forward. It would also be better to combine with the younger in mind and add extensions for the older. These are some other great options HOD offers that make the guides flexible without resulting in missing things.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:08 pm

I've done check lists for up to 4 before. I'm on my phone, so I can't link. This is how it went though. Each child has a check list with everything to do listed vertically, starting with breakfast, brushing teeth, etc. Then moving on to school subjects in the order I wish to do them. Inside each school subject, every independent subject has an 'I', so they can work ahead if they go quickly and I'm busy with another child. Horizontally, is 1-5, for the day. There's a grid of boxes for them to check.

I have a master check list done by day. So it'd say Day 1. Then vertically it'd list the things to do and horizontally it would have the child's name so I can keep track of everyone each day. If a child does not have a subject, I just have their box marked with a 'X'.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:25 pm

Julie, I'm so sorry to be offensive. :( I completely worded that poorly, and just made a big mess of things. I'm so sorry. We did enjoy the bible when we through LH with our older kids.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:48 pm

Motherjoy,
The Bible in Little Hearts isn't vital, especially since it just memory verses and a devotional just once a week. Not that it isn't good, but when looking at ways to shave minutes here and there, its on the chopping block. We will be covering Bible in many other areas (church, family worship, morning time, etc.) I don't mind skipping boxes. Its the only way that I can make HOD work for our family and trying to juggle so many guides, and the other needs of our home. I only mention this, so that if there are other moms reading they don't feel trapped by what's written on the guides. There are lots of ways to use HOD and using it exactly as written is only ONE way. :) I've been homeschooling long enough to know that trying to do something just because I'm "supposed to" never works.
We must have been posting at the same time as I didn't see your last comments until I posted mine here! I appreciate your sentiments, as I have to admit that reading words like "The Bible in Little Hearts isn't vital..." and "its on the chopping block..." and "so that if there are other moms reading, they don't feel trapped by what's written in the guides" were hard for me to read. I would definitely agree that the Bible in Little Hearts is vital, even along with Bible at church and during family times. The Bible in Little Hearts is meant to directly connect to the history readings. After doing the Bible in tandem with the history readings, you can really see the connections. The devotional is also directly connected to the history readings in Little Hearts and works well to bring out topics that little ones have on their hearts at that age. I had many wonderful discussions with my boys through the Bible topics in Little Hearts. :D I also discovered through the years that Bible is one subject that is good to do with my boys as individuals during school time, because it allows for heart to heart discussions where my boys felt free to share things they would never share if their siblings were listening. Bible is truly meant to be one of the most important subjects in the guides. :D

As far as feeling trapped by what is written in the guides, it is my hope that simply following the plans actually results in more freedom in one's day overall as the burden of deciding what to do each day is lifted. By simply doing what is in the guide, there is less meandering and more on task behavior (as the child knows exactly what is expected and so does the parent). There is less time spent talking and debating about what to do and what to skip (and the child realizes that if it is in the plans it must be done). This also results in less time spent negotiating with the child (as once kiddos see that some of the plans are negotiable, everything becomes open to negotiation). :wink: There is also more comfort for the students in knowing exactly what to expect each day (when following the plans as written), as the guides are written with a rotating schedule of skills and a balance of reading, writing, listening, and speaking each day. :D

While as the parent you can definitely do as you please with the guides, one thing to keep in mind is that the purpose of this board is to help families use the guides as close to the way they are written as possible. This is because this is not just a general board, but it is actually the home board of the author. :wink: There are many general boards where discussing deviations from the plans is fine, however on this board it only leads to confusion as to the author's intent. As people read threads like these, they quickly begin thinking that certain parts of the plans are expendable and that it is fine to skip whatever they wish with no long-term consequences at all. With the amount of time I spend writing the guides, I do actually have a purpose for every part of the plans which means that I feel each part is integral to a child's education. Over time, skipping boxes repeatedly will lead to gaps in skills that we assume your child has been practicing prior to entering the next guide, and some of those skills are found in the Bible box.

I understand desiring to make the plans your own and figuring out what that looks like for your family. All families need to find ways to do this. You are certainly entitled to your opinion of what is necessary and can set up your year any way you choose. However, discussing it on this particular board as if encouraging others to break away from the "ONE" way of using HOD is not going to fit well here. This board is meant to help people use our guides as close to "ONE" way as possible so that we can help families when they hit roadblocks and can assure them when they falter that progress will be made if they just persevere in doing what is written. :D We are unable to do those things if we have no idea what anyone is doing and if everyone just does whatever they want with the plans each year. The common thread we all have in mind when we discuss things on this board is what is contained in the plans at each level, the sequence of skills within each guide, and the understanding that we're coming from a similar perspective in trying to accomplish what is found within the guides. If you pull that commonality away, we really can't advise one another very well any more, as the discussions will quickly turn to who is skipping what and why. At that point, it won't be worthwhile for me to spend time on the board trying to advise and aid families in how best to use the guide, as I won't actually have a good idea of what anyone is doing! :wink:

With the guides that you are using and your goal of having a together time in mind, I would be inclined to keep your idea of using Selah's hymns with everyone. Hymns work well across the age levels. The poetry from Preparing would work in a group too. Poetry can be done across age levels too. The Scripture memory I would keep separate, as each level speaks to the kiddos' hearts at their specific age. Perhaps you could also play the music CD from Little Hearts as well during this together time, as the verses are good for everyone to hear? Then, you could work on the memory work part later alone with your LHFHG child. I wouldn't add the music from the Preparing guide to the together time, as it is lengthy memory work from the Psalms that would be tough for everyone to learn in addition to their own memory work in their own guides. The Thornton Burgess books from LHFHG are another thing that could be done at the together time. You could read aloud the chapter and then everyone could kite off while you do the questions and follow-ups with your little sweetie in LHFHG. :D Even my big boys still won't part with their Thornton Burgess books, and my oldest was a senior this year! :wink: On the days the devotional in Little Hearts comes up, you could possibly read that aloud too to everyone. The devotional topics are good ones and they bear fruit in discussion. :D

One other thing to keep in mind as you look at a together time is that sometimes adding a together time adds time to everyone's day as kiddos are actually doing things that are not a part of their own guide, making everyone's day go longer. Perhaps you could entertain just having a round table time instead where everyone works on math at once and you pop around and help, or everyone works on copywork (or handwriting/fine motor skills for your LHFHG person) at once from their guide for that day and you bounce around and oversee. I have done both of these things in the past with success with my boys. Or, maybe everyone could have reading/literature time at once, with you helping one sweetie with phonics and the rest of the kiddos curled up in chairs and couches reading quietly in the same room or nearby whatever is assigned for their reading/literature that day? In these ways, you get your together time but everyone is going forward with their specific guide. Anyway, these are just some ideas as you ponder the days you envision for your children. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:03 pm

We did several of those Carrie.

Everyone did handwriting or copy work at the same time. I taught the oldest math first, then the youngers while olders were work on theirs. We all gathered on the couch while I did the story times, so they could hear the others stories. It was fun!
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Motherjoy wrote:Julie, I'm so sorry to be offensive. :( I completely worded that poorly, and just made a big mess of things. I'm so sorry. We did enjoy the bible when we through LH with our older kids.
Thank you so much for this! :) I really do appreciate your getting back to me here. I am glad you enjoyed the Bible earlier with your kiddos - thank you for sharing that. :D Were we face to face it would have all come out differently I know! Homeschooling can just be stressful, can't it? It is tough to figure out the logistics from year to year sometimes as health, life, and family concerns arise that are often totally unexpected - sometimes surprises come in the form of incredible blessings, and sometimes with the deepest of heartaches. I am finding this stage of life isn't so easy for me to navigate - maybe you are finding this too. Anyway, I think you have received some good ideas here, especially with the specifics Carrie shared that can be practically put to use in the day to day. I hope you have a terrific year with your precious kiddos! The details will get ironed out - God is in the details. There is comfort in that!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie