using 2 programs at once with 3 kids...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momofj3

using 2 programs at once with 3 kids...

Post by momofj3 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:24 pm

We are new to HOD and will start next month. I am a bit worried about how it will all go…
I have one that will be using Beyond and two that will be using Preparing. I know someone out there can calm my nerves and help me to understand how to make this go smoothly! What would a day look like?!!

Kims

Re: using 2 programs at once with 3 kids...

Post by Kims » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:08 pm

Beyond is very easy and quick to get through.
I can't answer about Preparing, although I know there are some independent things in it.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:39 am

You can finish most if not all of Beyond while your Preparing child is doing ind stuff... especially if you meet with Preparing child first and do all your part of the S boxes. You'll have a great year with those two guides!

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:04 am

I think your day looks different depending on what you need to prioritize, what your child likes and does well with and what you or the child(ren) may struggle with getting through. I try to do "harder" things earlier in the day and get them over with. I like to sit down and do all the read-alouds and have the child read to me all in one block of time, but others may prefer to have all of the history activities together and split things up differently. You can really do the boxes on each page in almost any order you wish so you just need to develop a flow that works for you.

With those two guides I do what MomtoJGJE suggested, I work with the Preparing child first and get them rolling with things, do some of the T activities and get them kick-started on the S activities and then they finish S and work on some I activities while I am doing Beyond with the younger one. Beyond, once you get on a roll, should take about 1 1/2 hours to complete as long as you aren't adding or substituting for any of the subjects. (Note that the first few weeks things do tend to take a little longer.) Then you can finish up with the Preparing children and make sure they've been doing well with their independent work. You will probably want to give them some guidance on what order to do independent work in if you have one copy of the books, so they will know when they should get each resource to work with.

I hope this helps.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:20 am

I taught those two guides last year with my kids but I had 2 in beyond and 1 in preparing. Below is a link to my schedule. Our year went very smoothly and was a great year.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h54abxwmzuzpu ... edule.xlsx
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM