CM method?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
calihil

CM method?

Post by calihil » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:13 pm

Im looking into the HOD program and I've heard that it's a CM based method. In what ways? Is there daily copywork? If so, what kind of copywork is assigned? (quotes, verses, etc?) What about narration after every reading? Dictation? Is there Nature study? What about Art study or Composer study? Folk songs? Are there many classic books with rich literature and morals assigned to read? I'm finding it hard to find some of this stuff just by viewing one week on the TM samples and perusing the catalog. I really love the idea of HOD and how Christ centered it is (and how it's already DONE! haha) but I really love CM. ;)

Thanks!!

MelInKansas

Re: CM method?

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:13 pm

What ages of children are you looking at? Starting in Beyond Little Hearts there is daily copywork of the poem studied in the weekly unit. Moving up there is copywork that covers history and science, as well as Bible verses and drawing as part of that. Narration is covered in some areas in the younger guides and by Preparing Hearts there is daily narration, sometimes oral sometimes written, but not of everything that is read. Art is covered in various areas and ways at all levels. I believe some of the late elementary and middle school guides have Composer studies. Hymn study starts in Bigger Hearts.

Many classic books with rich literature, yes definitely this is core to what they are doing. But HOD, unlike other CM things I have seen or heard of, takes an approach of slow and in-depth reading and study of the books. So there are fewer books and you explore them more in-depth, gaining skills in many areas including analysis and discussion. By the time you add DITHOR into one of the programs there are a lot of wonderful books being covered, I don't see how anyone could be disappointed in the selection and variety of them. Most notably, the book selections HOD has on their website and in the guides uphold virtue and encourage children to think about the moral value of what they see and do. They are carefully selected to not only not have questionable moral content, but to really uphold good values and morals and point us over and over again to what is truly important in life. I am encouraged by reading these rich books, especially I am encouraged to not just accept "not too bad" as good enough for me and my children to read. Phillipians 4:8. This will be why you will not see all of the books on other major curricula's websites on HOD's website. (at least this is my interpretation after having been a user of their curriculum and member of this board for 5+ years).

Christ centered is really the key thing and a main draw for me as well. You really are exploring and discussing the Bible and what Christ did for us through many different topics each day. I appreciate the constant pointing to a Biblical worldview and teaching children to think critically about what they read and see. I hope this helps.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:50 am

Welcome! At the top of the main board is a sticky titled The Reasons Behind HOD's choices. I believe the linked threads in that sticky will answer most, if not all of your questions. I have referred to that section many times since we started enjoying HOD.

In general, I find HOD to be very CM oriented with some minor differences (such as when to start grammar and not narrating absolutely everything). The sticky I referred to will explain things much better than I can. What I can say is that I really like the idea of a CM style education, but do not like the reality of putting it all together myself. HOD has met this need and been a wonderful blessing for our family. Happy reading :D !
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:18 am

HOD uses lots of CM methods, such as narration (starting written in Preparing, CM suggests waiting until 10, which is the upper age range of Preparing), copywork, poetry study, short lessons, varying what is studied so that one part of the child's brain isn't overused and tired. Living books are the backbone of HOD, even the science in the upper levels is chosen because its conversational. Notebooking is done from the early years. Picture study is done in RTR, though not focusing on one artists per term, as CM suggested. Composer study is done in Rev to Rev, though not focusing on one composer per term. Nature study is done in MTMM. The Book of Centuries is used in high school. CM suggested students beginning one at or after 10yo, when the child's handwriting has been solidified.

Some differences - arts & crafts projects are done throughout, which CM wouldn't have cared for. She preferred handicrafts with the end result being something of use.

HOD is, in my opinion, the best boxed curriculum that is based on CM methods. The planning is done for mom, the layout of the guide is easy to use and includes many helps and directions for mom (rather than just a grid of weekly pages to read). The guide walks mom through asking narration questions of varying degrees, which is something that CM used to change what type of narration the child gave (expository, narrative, etc..) HOD is also completely integrated. Instead of the subjects being separate, they all relate to one another. Carrie has added in dialogue prompts that help mom to center all the studies around God and show the student how they are interdependent. This is an important part of education, and something you will not find in many curricula.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:18 am

HOD uses lots of CM methods, such as narration (starting written in Preparing, CM suggests waiting until 10, which is the upper age range of Preparing), copywork, poetry study, short lessons, varying what is studied so that one part of the child's brain isn't overused and tired. Living books are the backbone of HOD, even the science in the upper levels is chosen because its conversational. Notebooking is done from the early years. Picture study is done in RTR, though not focusing on one artists per term, as CM suggested. Composer study is done in Rev to Rev, though not focusing on one composer per term. Nature study is done in MTMM. The Book of Centuries is used in high school. CM suggested students beginning one at or after 10yo, when the child's handwriting has been solidified. Also, the way HOD teaches spelling is very CM, focusing on correctly seeing the word in the mind's eye and copying it from memory, instead of intensive phonics.

Some differences - arts & crafts projects are done throughout, which CM wouldn't have cared for. She preferred handicrafts with the end result being something of use. You can choose your reading instruction with HOD, but the options are not truly CM's way. She relied much more on sight reading and word building, which you can easily add in, but TRL doesn't have that written out for you. We've used TRL and enjoyed it, but it would probably be considered twaddle by CM, as she suggested using good poetry to help children begin to read. She was able to do this because she did teach sight words, and then later use those words as the basis for word building and basic phonics instruction.

HOD is, in my opinion, the best boxed curriculum that is based on CM methods. The planning is done for mom, the layout of the guide is easy to use and includes many helps and directions for mom (rather than just a grid of weekly pages to read). The guide walks mom through asking narration questions of varying degrees, which is something that CM used to change what type of narration the child gave (expository, narrative, etc..) HOD is also completely integrated. Instead of the subjects being separate, they all relate to one another. Carrie has added in dialogue prompts that help mom to center all the studies around God and show the student how they are interdependent. This is an important part of education, and something you will not find in many curricula.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

calihil

Post by calihil » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Thank you for your replies!!! They were really helpful.

My oldest will be 6 in December, so she is going into her K year. She would be in Little Hearts for His Glory, right?

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:42 am

Yes, Little Hearts would be where to start. :D
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:18 am

This link on the message board may help as well.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6248
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:05 pm

This thread may help as well.. :D