How much reading is too much for my emerging reader?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
queenireneof3

How much reading is too much for my emerging reader?

Post by queenireneof3 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:27 am

Hello...

One question to run by all of you. My 8yo is reading the emerging readers list now. He is about 2/3 thru The Beginners Bible. He reads about one or two stories and then is done. This takes less than 10 min. I am concerned that he is technically entering 3rd grade and not more advanced with his reading. I don't want my fear to push him to read more than is necessary, but I am wondering if I should gently push him to read for a longer amount of time. Maybe two sessions a day? I don't want to squelch a love for reading by making it too long, but I also don't want to wimp out on pushing him a little harder if that would be good for him. He is a good reader but just wants to be done after one or two stories.
Thanks.
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

StephanieU

Re: How much reading is too much for my emerging reader?

Post by StephanieU » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:52 am

Have you considered doing the supplemental titles with each unit as well? These are listed with the ER questions in the Appendix. They are at the top of each unit. They would add to the reading without speeding up the ER processes. Your are already reading books at a second grade level, and by Unit 16 (Prairie School), you will be in the 3rd grade level. The last book is often considered 4th grade level even (The Courage of Sarah Noble), so he will be on pace if you just keep with the ER books.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:56 am

I would say to have 2 reading sessions. You don't want to push too much at one time ... Yet it would be a good idea to practice a bit more.
That is what Julie (my3sons) suggested to me with my oldest. Ds did not have enough stamina to read for more than about 7-8 minutes at a time. Two sessions a day helped.
I think you are on the right path.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:05 am

I have looked for the supplemental titles in the library and haven't found them yet. I have picked up a few different ones and he loves to read them. A friend also gifted us with her old abeka readers and he also loves reading those.

Maybe I will do two reading sessions with him and add an extra book or abeka book after he reads the beginners bible.
Thank you. :D

I just don't want him to go too slowly... :(
Sara Irene
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:15 am

I am sure I sound a little mean but I always make my kids read at least 10 minutes for every grade plus an additional 10-15 minutes. We read for school during the day but an extra 10-15 min a night before bed. They can break their school reading up during the day too. I have just found that my oldest hated reading and would do it minimally. I had to build her up to the volume that she would read was she got older. With my son, he shocked me this summer. I told him (well all of them) that if the wanted any media, they had to read for it. My two oldest got 1 minute of media for every minute that they read up to 1.5 hours of media. My youngest got 1.5 minutes of media for every minute read. They all maxed out their media every day! I was shocked! So maybe an incentive type thing would naturally encourage more reading
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:16 am

Daneale,
That is just what I was wondering...if I pushed him to read more would he hate reading eventually. I never thought of incentives. I will have to think that one over! Yesterday we did two sessions and the first I required him to read an extra story. He did it just fine. Maybe we will work up to 10 min per grade! Thanks. Since I am not a certified teacher I don't always know what is a good idea.
Sara Irene

Kims

Post by Kims » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:25 am

I LOVE the incentive idea.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:10 pm

I like the 2 sessions idea. I am thinking through this with you as I need to push my emerging reader a little too. She is number 7 and we are in the midst of rearranging rooms as one heads off to college. I need to keep on top of this!!!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:33 pm

Two sessions has been working well. He reads to me during the day and to dad at night when it works out. I now have him read one or two stories from the beginners bible, then he reads from the abeka reader we were given. Wish I had the supplemental titles listed in the guide. Still probably not enough but at least it is consistent.
Sara Irene

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:54 am

Glad to hear it is working out for you! I think building them up slowly is totally fine too. Don't want to overload them :-) And the gradual transition is much less stressful for them too.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:07 am

We've been doing the 2 session's. Emerging readers during school time and library books at night work out well. I get a stack of level 1 from the library and let him choose which one to read so he is very motivated. There is an interesting assortment of history and science readers available. I let him read until he says that is enough. He reads for longer than i would make him so it works out well. He gets really into the books.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG