French

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mamamag5

French

Post by mamamag5 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi Ladies,

My daughter really wants to learn French as her foreign language. Those of you who are doing French, can you tell me what curriculum you are using or have used and what you like or don't like about it.

Thanks,
Shirley

Mumkins

Re: French

Post by Mumkins » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:38 pm

We plan to use Rosetta Stone. I like it because it speaks to them with a correct accent, which I can not. I also like the feature where it corrects their pronunciation, which I wouldn't be any good at either. I don't like that it doesn't tell you anything at all. It's all immersion. Some things are so basic, yet so crucial to understanding. A little introduction would help people catch on much quicker, IMO. I took it for 6 years in school. I don't remember a ton. But just a few little things were tripping my kids up that were so easy.

I'm interested in checking out the French program by the same people putting out the Spanish that Carrie recommends. It's suppose to be out this year.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Leslie in TN

Post by Leslie in TN » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:54 pm

I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but for late elementary/middle, another option might be L'Art de Lire, depending on the age of your daughter. We liked it when the kids were younger but the vocabulary wasn't overwhelming (in fact, at first glance, it almost looks too easy), but there a steady progression of grammar and skills.
Leslie in TN
Mama to Eva & Laura (16) and Samuel (14)

Currently using: World Geography with VideoText Algebra
Veterans of Rev2Rev, CTC, PHFHG and BLHFHG

mamamag5

Post by mamamag5 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:44 am

Hi Leslie,

My daughter is 14 starting the WG guide this fall and will need a foreign language credit for high school.

Shirley

Leslie in TN

Post by Leslie in TN » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:48 am

In that case, I'd probably wait for Getting Started with French, if at all possible, but if not, I'd probably lean towards doing Rosetta Stone as well.
Leslie in TN
Mama to Eva & Laura (16) and Samuel (14)

Currently using: World Geography with VideoText Algebra
Veterans of Rev2Rev, CTC, PHFHG and BLHFHG

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:39 am

Some on this board recommended Living Language foreign language courses since my son needs German for high school. I ordered it on Amazon for an extremely reasonable price and I really like the looks of the program so far. They have many languages to choose from, including French. Might be worth checking out!
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008