need suggestions to help DD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rice

need suggestions to help DD

Post by Rice » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:09 pm

I'm needing some suggestions of how to help my DD succeed in learning.

Our 10yo DD has always struggled with reading but didn't seem to fit into the Dyslexia scale of things so we finally had her assessed by a developmental psychologist who did a battery of IQ/academic skills tests. She (thankfully) did not show any "significant cognitive impairment that would account for her difficulties with reading and writing" (ie, she tested in the average range for everything) and does not meet criteria for a learning disability, which still leaves us with "difficulties with reading and writing" to address and accommodate for.

Some of her specific difficulties: "She had some difficulties with Verbal Comprehension, specifically tests of similarities, or being able to identify commonalities between two words or objects." And though everything tested average "there was a discrepancy between her General Knowledge and Lexical Information." In other words, as he described it to me, she could define words (lexical) very well but her general knowledge and ability to see connections, similarities, contrasts, etc. was low.

Some other strategies he suggested were, "providing organizers or outlines of materials ahead of time, help with previewing strategies such as skimming or scanning, help learning to highlight key information, help learning to review new topics, and having her engage in pre-writing activities such as brainstorming ideas, words, and helping to develop plans or ideas before beginning to write about them." I think I can work much of that into our daily work, but I'm wondering if, based on what I've shared, any of you have suggestions on activities or games we could play during the summer to help develop some of her weak areas.
Are there some language-type educational games you can think of that might help us?
Is there a website you would suggest for language games?
Does anyone know what I should even be looking for?
Has anyone else had a child with similar difficulties and what seemed to help?

I'm honestly second guessing myself and all I thought I knew about her (that her comprehension was fine, despite her lower reading level) and wondering where to go from here. We switched to HOD because I was overwhelmed putting things together in our other curriculum and now I suddenly feel like the "open and go" aspect of HOD won't be so nice with having to adapt/facilitate everything for her. (Not that it's not there, just not so easy anymore.) Over the next few days/week I'll be taking a new look at the placement chart and re-considering what I'd planned for the coming year. Feeling rather alone with this new revelation (DH listens but can't help; no one else around even uses CM, never mind HOD); I'm overwhelmed and unprepared and underqualified for what will be needed this coming year. But also thankful that we'll have the wonderful structure and guidance that is written into the guides (that I have not had these last years, and now see gaps in what we did not cover).
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

MelInKansas

Re: need suggestions to help DD

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:16 pm

I can't offer specific suggestions for working on those areas, but I do think that HOD will help you. Since there are connections between many of the different subjects, and many of the discussion questions written into the guide help the child make connections with what they read and the Bible, or have them analyze what they read in light of other things that were studied. Many times the art is connected to the history and things like that. I think HOD is very strong in helping a child make connections with what they read and their own lives. In Preparing that is the discussion you most often have with the Storytime box. Either talk about how this story is like something in your own life, or what it would be like for you to live in this time period, or who is the main character placing their faith in.

So maybe it will not be as hard as you thought? Definitely seek advice from people who either have experience or know how to help these type of learning problems. See if there are supplemental activities that are needed or will help her. Maybe you could look at Critical Thinking's materials. I think they have lots of things that are meant to help a child see connections in different things, especially things like spatial reasoning and stuff like that. Definitely rethink placement if you think working on these areas she needs help in will take a lot of your time. At the very least, you could back up one guide to make that part shorter and easier, to allow more time for you to dedicate to the other things.

I hope this helps.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Rice

Post by Rice » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:29 pm

MelInKansas wrote: Maybe you could look at Critical Thinking's materials. I think they have lots of things that are meant to help a child see connections in different things, especially things like spatial reasoning and stuff like that.
Thanks for your quick response, Melanie. I just finished looking at a Critical Thinking email in my inbox around the time you were posting your reply! I guess I'll start there. :) Thanks!
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:00 am

Rice,
I want to encourage you that our God is more than able to help your dd. I have a dd that the experts said had autism. I have slowly and steadily used HOD, speech therapy, resources and much prayer. Now my dd is just average. I can suggest some resources for dd's language issues. We have used resources from National Learning Concepts. (Not sure I can put the website but nlconcepts). They have critical thinking, language & concepts, etc.. Perhaps a speech evaluation might be beneficial. Speech is not just for issues with talking, but with all aspects of language. My dd had speech for a short time as her IEP indicated she needed that. She has tested average and no longer needing that service.
I believe that after the Lord it has been HOD that has helped my dd with language comprehension. The CM aspect that HOD utilizes is rich in so many areas of language, because it is thorough and complete. With my dd, I have used HOD slowly and gently. If you contact HOD they will make sure that you have correct placement as this will be key for optimal learning. HOD can still be used as OPEN, but the GO to the next page may just take longer. I have taken HOD slowly with my dd starting her and keeping her at a lower level until her learning caught up. If it is necessary I slow down until she is ready to continue. With this slow steady progress my dd is now in the middle age range of the current guide and completing each day in one day. Our children's brains are pliable and "plastic" meaning they are making new neural connections especially with the rich environment that HOD is providing. By teaching utilizing all aspects of learning-kinesthetic, visual, auditory, and tactile the brain's plasticity is improved. You have made a wise choice to teach with HOD because not only does it include all aspects of learning it has Christ at the center. Praying that you find the answers that you seek on how best to teach your dd. We are wonderfully created and all have special gifts. May you find the special gifts your dd has.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

Rice

Post by Rice » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:50 am

chillin'inandover wrote:Rice,
I want to encourage you that our God is more than able to help your dd. . . We have used resources from National Learning Concepts. . . Perhaps a speech evaluation might be beneficial. Speech is not just for issues with talking, but with all aspects of language.
Thanks, Chillin'. I'll take a look at NLC and consider what you say about speech. She never had speech delay or anything that would call attention to her speech acquisition but does have some strange words (unraser instead of eraser, for example). I also had the local resource teacher suggested to me today by a non-homeschooling friend (who, incidentally did homeschool for a year, so somewhat understands the pressures we face). I'm not sure if there's a speech person in the local school but I'm sure the resource teacher would know where too look next.
chillin'inandover wrote:I believe that after the Lord it has been HOD that has helped my dd with language comprehension. The CM aspect that HOD utilizes is rich in so many areas of language, because it is thorough and complete. If you contact HOD they will make sure that you have correct placement as this will be key for optimal learning. Our children's brains are pliable and "plastic" meaning they are making new neural connections especially with the rich environment that HOD is providing. By teaching utilizing all aspects of learning-kinesthetic, visual, auditory, and tactile the brain's plasticity is improved. You have made a wise choice to teach with HOD because not only does it include all aspects of learning it has Christ at the center. Praying that you find the answers that you seek on how best to teach your dd. We are wonderfully created and all have special gifts. May you find the special gifts your dd has.
Yes, I agree with you. We have been using CM since the beginning with her but I am already looking forward to the variety of methods of interaction with the course material Carrie has included every day within the guide; it will be more fun for all of us, compared to our pretty much oral-narration-only years. I am anticipating continued growth in my DD through the coming year (as there was last year, before testing) and think that HOD will be the perfect guide for me to make certain I address all areas, not only for my DD but all my boys, too.

Thanks for your comments. After prayer and discussion, DH and I have decided to take a step back for her and her younger brother, putting them in Preparing instead of CTC. They might have been able to handle CTC but this will give us the freedom to work on needed areas with less pressure to finish the higher volume of written work in CTC. It might allow me to add some supplementary language (NLC, Critical Thinking, etc.) work as well.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:09 pm

Rice,

I don't have any extra advice but wanted to post words of hopeful encouragement. While my son is much younger than your dd, he has always struggled with just following directions and answering questions on topic. Before finding HOD, I could hardly ask him anything and he could never follow the story I was reading about. It was down right frustrating and bordering alarming. Granted, he does have some language delays and was in therapy for that in the past but he has always struggled significantly here!

Last year was our first year with HOD. I think the stories were so engaging that my son started following along much more and being activity engaged regularly. In addition to being able to follow a story and answer questions, his language this year has grown exponentially! He can not only understand more words, he can read more words and he uses more words. And I know that kids obviously will grown in knowledge every year, but his increase in knowledge has been significantly drastic compared with his sibling's rate of growth in these areas. So I guess what I am hoping to say is that after you complete next year, you will probably be surprised at how much your dd grows without adding anything extra.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Rice

Post by Rice » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:19 pm

Nealewill wrote:Rice, I don't have any extra advice but wanted to post words of hopeful encouragement. While my son is much younger than your dd, he has always struggled with just following directions and answering questions on topic. Before finding HOD, I could hardly ask him anything and he could never follow the story I was reading about. It was down right frustrating and bordering alarming. Granted, he does have some language delays and was in therapy for that in the past but he has always struggled significantly here!

Last year was our first year with HOD. I think the stories were so engaging that my son started following along much more and being activity engaged regularly. In addition to being able to follow a story and answer questions, his language this year has grown exponentially! He can not only understand more words, he can read more words and he uses more words. And I know that kids obviously will grown in knowledge every year, but his increase in knowledge has been significantly drastic compared with his sibling's rate of growth in these areas. So I guess what I am hoping to say is that after you complete next year, you will probably be surprised at how much your dd grows without adding anything extra.
Thanks Daneale. I'm sure she will grow a lot this year. She has already made great strides this past year (not only learning, but moving up in the assessments I do "just for fun" from At Risk to Some Risk) so I know things are already improving. I also know that the structure provided by HOD will help me teach her and cover some basics that my boys have just seemed to pick up naturally without direct instruction. And I already know (since we've always used it) that the CM methods that Carrie uses are far and away the best for her and for us as a family, so I'm really looking forward to this year. Last week was kind of a crisis week, learning that DD has some problems where I thought she was doing fine, but I also know that she will not need "major interventions" just to do normal school work. I just needed to take a step back and re-evaluate what I had planned. We'll move her back to Preparing instead of CTC and that will allow more time for growth before the greater independence and I might be able to fit some supplemental stuff in there, if it works, but if it doesn't I know Preparing will be a perfect fit for her. I think it will probably be best for her older brother, too, to be separate from her and their younger brother.

I'd still love some ideas of things to do with her to help her, specifically in "Verbal Comprehension, specifically tests of similarities, or being able to identify commonalities between two words or objects." She can narrate (as in "tell back") well and I know CM has supplied her with a vocabulary beyond her years but she seems to have trouble assimilating that in her general knowledge and then making connections. I was hoping there would be a fun way to work on that (as she loves board games) before heading "back to school" in September.

Thanks for sharing your story, Daneale.
Blessings,
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics