Ideas for Independence in Beyond/Bigger?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
bethelmommy

Ideas for Independence in Beyond/Bigger?

Post by bethelmommy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:45 pm

My oldest ds is an early riser. He likes getting as much schoolwork done as possible while the house is still quiet as it is easier for him to focus. He also likes to finish as early in the day as possible to have more time to play with his siblings and have free time. So far, I've been letting him do his cursive page, read his DITHR assigned pages, and do 2b math if there is no accompanying activity assigned that day. We are in the last 6 weeks of Beyond and will be moving straight into Bigger. Are there any other subject areas I can let him do on his own? I've thought about doing the oral portion of R&S 2 with him the night before so he can do the written part in the morning. However, I'm not sure if it is a good idea to split the lesson that way. He does really nice work first thing in the morning, so I'd like to maximize this opportunity. Thanks.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

Nealewill

Re: Ideas for Independence in Beyond/Bigger?

Post by Nealewill » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:51 am

The ones you came up with were pretty much the only thing I could think of making independent for him :-) I also think grammar would be fine to do the way you stated, splitting the lesson up. My oldest would have her lesson split sometimes and she did fine with it. There are two other areas I thought of but I don't know how well it work for you since you have 2 of your kids combine in this less. I have read that others have let their dc read their science to themselves by the end of the year with Bigger. I would also let him listen to his music as well. But again, since your two oldest are combine, these two things might not be helpful to you.

In one more year, he will do Preparing and he can do SO much independent. I also have a DS very similar to yours. He jumps out of bed and want to go straight to doing school work because he wants to finish his day quickly. It drives me nuts because he is the same age as your DS.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:29 am

I give mine a choice (once they are able) to read their own history or science, and sometimes they do both. I also let them read the poem, get out all of their stuff for all the sections I have to do with them.

He could also do chores and make breakfast once he finishes all of that.

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 am

I don't know if you do them but my son in Beyond does the poetry copywork and spelling list by himself. He also does a good bit of grammar by himself. He is advanced in that so we do it everyday, plus add in a supplement. We are working to have him do history with me, instead of all on me.
Don't know if any of this helps, but just some ideas.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:32 am

WOW. Just wanted to say, what a blessing he is. I know it might be a tinsie bit annoying because he needs you for a lot of his schoolwork... but wow, this go-for-it enthusiasm will be really nice in a few years when his independent desire will... well, will be lovely. And there will be plenty he can do then, independently.

Give him a hug from me. "Good work!"
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG