Which program to get for my 4 year old and 6 year old?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mmercer48

Which program to get for my 4 year old and 6 year old?

Post by mmercer48 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:14 am

I have a 4 year old daughter and a 6 year old son. They both have a good phonics foundation and are reading the Penguin Level 1 readers. My daughter can count to 25, understands addition and subtraction concepts, but doesn't yet write. I am working with her on prewriting skills, but don't want to push her into a formal handwriting curriculum at her age. My son is able to write simple sentences. He is at a late first grade/early second grade math level. I am not sure where to start with Heart of Dakota! This will be our first year with the program. I have looked at the charts and am considering Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, with our own readers and our own math program. Any advice for me? Thanks!

Kims

Re: Which program to get for my 4 year old and 6 year old?

Post by Kims » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:37 am

Beyond is probably too much for a 4yo. 6yo may be fine with it.
Have you looked at the placement charts and placed them accordingly? If you want to keep them together Little Hearts would be better.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:51 pm

It seems like maybe you could combine these two, except you would have to make accomodation for the 4YO with writing. If you plan to keep them together then you should use LHFHG. Beyond isn't too high in writing requirements but the next guide after that, Bigger Hearts, is. Your 4YO would not be able to keep up with it as a 5YO or maybe even as a 6YO if you drew Beyond out. I think you need to give her more time to grow before putting her in that guide. Although you could also decide to split them up by that point to make it easier for her to gain the skills she would need.

Attention span and length of the school day is another big factor for why not to move up in the guides too early. Each one makes the school day longer. You could do A Reason for Handwriting 1st grade with your son, since he can write more, and use the fine motor skills books for K level for LHFHG for your daughter, along with a handwriting book.

You could also have each of them in their own guide, and this allows them to move at their own pace and would give the younger one more time to mature in her writing ability and just the ability to comprehend and follow the higher level materials. Definitely check out the placement chart and pray for wisdom in making that decision!

Welcome to HOD!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:34 pm

I would combine them in LHFHG. There are plenty of options to up the level of work for the 6 year old.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:49 pm

Welcome to the HOD Board, mmercer48! :D Could you please share when your 4 yo will turn 5 yo? Thanks!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie