Need a little help for my DD (LHFHG)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
crlacey

Need a little help for my DD (LHFHG)

Post by crlacey » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:15 am

My DD just turned 5 at the end of May. She places into LHFHG so we ordered it and have done a little over 6 units so far. While it seems to be pretty much a good level for her, she doesn't seem to be retaining much. She doesn't like the handwriting at all (A Reason for Handwriting), so she rushes through them instead of taking her time and practicing. She complains about reading the storytime, but once she's started usually asks for another chapter. I know she's remembering her Bible and verse, but I don't think she's retained any science. We've taken time off here and there due to various reasons. Is that what's causing our problem? So I just need to be more consistent? Or is she just not mature enough for LHFHG yet even though her ability is there?

Oh, and when I mentioned selling the Sonlight Pre-K (Core B) she told me the only book she wanted to sell was the instructors guide. So maybe she's just not mature enough to do LHFHG yet?

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:35 am

I am thinking she maybe needs to move a little slower. It sounds to me like it could be a maturity issue. Have you thought about doing one half of the lesson per day (left side them right side). Sometimes that eases them into it and gives them a chance to get use to doing school and really that may be all she is up for. On the comprehension of science I might focus more on is it helping to develop a love for science and learning. I think at this age honestly that is most important. Maybe just slow down and have more fun with it, and take time to talk about what you are learning. :D She did just turn five and I know from my kids that there is a little window of not ready for a ton of learning to bring it on I want more. :D

Other than that I would really get into a routine. If things are all over the place she may not be taking it seriously in the sense that she is really focusing on things. Sometimes if we are all over the map on if and when we do school (know this from personal experience :wink: ) they kind of feel like hey if you can blow it off so can they. Sometimes you can't help it and when those times come I declare it an official break or holiday and let them know how long it will last.

For handwriting my kids did R&S for a long time and really did not improve much. I felt like I was banging my head against the wall. Then I switched them to Italic and it was like magic. So we really love that program. Some may not like the writing but I like it. It is neat and easy to read. I do familiarize them with other styles as well though so they can read it all. Sometimes with Handwriting different programs seem to work better for different families.

So long answer for hang in there, slow down and think about a different handwriting program if that one is not connecting for your child. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:52 am

Water to wine gave you great advice. That's exactly what I was thinking. A routine helps tremendously. My son did not like Handwriting either. He still doesn't, but he does it neatly because I have told him that he has to write more if it rushes and doesn't try. Sometimes it may take a while to get into the story. I did put away the Burgess books for a little while when we did LHFHG last year because we started before my son was 5 and he just wasn't ready for them. A little while later we picked them up and tried again. It wasn't long before he was into them and we just read extra to catch up. What hooked him was acting out a scene in Reddy Fox.

I also encourage you to just have fun with school. That's more what it's about at that age. You may be suprised at what she remembers in her own time.

Sometimes at 5 they just want to go and play. Set a schedule of days that you will do school. Do it at the same time each day with a routine. Reward with computer time or something like that she loves when school is over.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

jessyb26

Post by jessyb26 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:19 am

My dd is 5 1/2 and we just started LHFHG. We are using Handwriting Without Tears for our handwriting and she is loving it. She is enjoying the songs that go with it and the other activities that you can do to learn each letter. They say that each handwriting lesson should only take 15 minutes using a multi-sensory approach. It really is a fun approach to handwriting.

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:47 am

When we started my son also complained then wanted more. I think some of that is the age and wanting to see if they can get out of it just because they can. I know for my son he complains unless it was his idea.

With handwriting it didn't work or us either. I just wrote on lined paper an he copied. Many times sentences that he ditated to me.

Karen
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:06 am

Im really,really new to home schooling.But I can tell you that I spent years of asking my older kids what they did at school-only to be told'Nothing' or 'I dont know' or similar.Of course what they really were answering was that they were done with school and didnt want to tell me.I wonder if your DD really is not absorbing the science or just so finished with 'school' thats she is not willing talk .
The writing.I have a kid with an aversion to handwriting.I may be alone here but I try really hard not to force the issue.Some kids develop fine motor skills later than others.Left handers tend to really struggle with handwriting.Are you noticing that she struggles with fine motor skills in general-like not managing lego or threading things?
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi! We started LHFHG on the young side with one of our sons, and we did it slower paced at first. We did the slower pace that water2wine suggested. Doing the left side of the plans one day, and the right side of the plans the next day worked great for us. We did this for 4-5 months, and then began doing both sides of the plans each day.

I think you're right in recognizing that it is important to be consistent, and just doing that will really help your dd know what is expected from her each day.

As far as the Thorton Burgess read-alouds, they became my son's absolute favorite books to hear after consistently reading them for several months. I think that learning to listen to chapter books with few pictures and learning to answer questions about what was read are 2 new skills for most 5 yo's. I think sticking with them and giving them time will do wonders - and those books are just wonderful anyway!

With handwriting, just doing it every other day (which is what your dd will be doing if you slow down the pace), may be enough. I'd stick with it for awhile yet and see if doing it less often like this works. Also, this is another new skill, so as with any new skill, there can be some frustration. During handwriting, we turn on our Christian radio, and (at the beginning of the year) every time my ds completed a letter or a row, I'd say, "Can you believe your WRITING now?!? This is so exciting... bet you can't do another row?!?" Just me sitting there being really encouraging helped. I also starred each letter as it was completed. If it was "off the line", I'd say, "Oh no, your letter is floating away!!! Quick draw a line to hold it to the bottom before it's gone!" If the letter was below the line, I'd say, "Oh no, your letter is falling down. Can you erase that part and 'help it back up'?" Having just a little fun like this helped handwriting be fun, and me sitting by his side and encouraging him (as well as immediately having him fix his mistakes) really helped.

As a general rule of thumb, I try to give our school a few months before adjusting much, just because it takes both me and my dc that long to get into a great rhythm usually. HTH, and LHFHG is a super program - I know your dd will grow to love it just as my ds did!!! :o :o :o

In Christ,
Julie :D :D :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks for the help. I do love the idea of LHFHG and I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't plowing through it without getting the benefit from it. Maybe we'll take some time to regroup and ease back into things to be sure we're having fun. Then pick up LHFHG once we're in a routine and having fun again.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH