Help me think on this, please!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carly

Help me think on this, please!

Post by Carly » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:51 pm

Our children are going into 3rd and 4th grade. We've always done American history. Well, this year I'm having a hard time deciding whether to do American or world history. Our kids place pretty much into Preparing. It covers world history using a spine I really think the kids will enjoy. Still, I'm feeling our American history is not finished and will miss it. Ancients just seems so foreign to me. Bigger than what our kids can understand at this age.

After so much time on American history, I do believe it's time to sweep and learn a bit about ancient times. I'll be out of my comfort zone though. Anyone out there like me or have these woes? I wanna let go and study something fresh, but it's the unknown!
Carly

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:21 pm

We're not there yet, but if your kids place in preparing, I say go for it.
:D

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:34 am

Carly,

I can so relate to where you are coming from on Ancients. But I want to encourage you that this is an area I have really spoken to Carrie about and I promise you if your kids are in the age range it will be appropriate for them. She is very sensitive to not giving them more than would be appropriate. I am pretty extreem to some in this area. :roll: I am though very confident in Carrie's judgment here. Hopefully she will chime in and give her answer as to what the focus is and how in depth it goes. But I can almost assure you that it focuses on pointed for the need for God and the awesome power and faithfulness of God rather than glorifying the sin of the Ancient times. And studying Ancients that way is really awesome. We connect some looking into Ancients as it relates to our Bible study kind of on the side. It really helps to understand the why of the Bible. I am excited to go through it again more in depth the HOD way! And I have really found this is true, it all depends on the authors focus as to what is age appropriate and what is not. This is a huge beef of mine with some of the other Christian publishers that feel to me to embrace the sin more than they point to God. I really feel like HOD gets the focus right. :D Hope that helps. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carly

Post by Carly » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:47 am

Yeah, I'm very conservative and that's why we've held off on studying ancient history. I'm hoping HOD can make it a God centered study.

Another question for HOD Preparing...do you read CHOW aloud or get a copy for each child to read? Just wondering. We've always had the kids take turns reading it aloud, but with all the names and places that have names they'll struggle to pronounce...

Thanks for the help!

Carly

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:00 am

Carly wrote:Yeah, I'm very conservative and that's why we've held off on studying ancient history. I'm hoping HOD can make it a God centered study.
Me too and also very conservative about what my kids see and hear. So I am there with you. And I have spoken to Carrie a fair amount about this. It assured me that her heart is the same on this. And she is not the first author I have spoken to on this. Her response was unlike any I had gotten, no excuses she gets it. :wink:
Carly wrote: Another question for HOD Preparing...do you read CHOW aloud or get a copy for each child to read?
I hope Julie or Carrie confirms but I believe it would be read aloud since it is part of the program package and not the independent study. It would make sense that it is read aloud by the parents if it works like all the other HOD programs work.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carly

Post by Carly » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:38 am

I know if they were in school they'd be expected to read it all themselves. In college they will be assigne a TON of reading in their
classes. Don't I need to get them accustomed to reading on their own?
Not saying I'd never read aloud, but they'd be responsible for their text/spine reading. I don't want to go to easy on them and then they
buckle in college with the heavy load. Just thinking down the road.
Carly

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:59 am

Carly,

The ladies are doing such a great job of answering your post! :D

I'll just pop-in to say that if your kiddos place solidly in Preparing, then that would be the way to go for them. I also want to assure you that I am in agreement with you on the Ancients. We were unable to find a study that hit the overview of world history by bringing everything back to the Bible so that is why we've written our own. I think you will be very excited about the depth of Biblical content and the way the Bible is woven throughout the entire study. We feel strongly that there is nothing else like it out there! :wink:

As far as the history read-aloud goes, you are welcome to have your kiddos take turns reading it aloud. We originally scheduled it in the guide to be read-aloud by the parent, but we are including a note that says if your kiddos can read it on their own that is fine as well. We are moving the children toward taking over more of their "spine readings" in the guide that follows Preparing. In Preparing, we start to move them in that direction by scheduling Deluxe and Extension Packages to be read by the kiddos on thier own (along with the science readings too). :D

We are in agreement that the kiddos need to take over more of their own reading as they mature, which is very CM-style. We will keep readings that require a discussion or a lesson for our parent interaction time in the upcoming guides. So, there will always be some reading aloud, but the purpose will change.

Blessings,
Carrie