Singapore Math Textbook Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
coastalmom

Singapore Math Textbook Question

Post by coastalmom » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:54 pm

In the guides where Singapore Math is scheduled, has textbook and workbook pages scheduled. Is it meant that students should complete all of both textbook and workbook problems? Our routine has been to go over the textbook together, do some of the problems on the dry erase board, and then they complete workbook independently. Just want to make sure we are getting in enough practice. Maybe they should be doing all the textbook problems?
CS

DD 11 RTR
DS 9 Preparing
DS 6 Beyond
DD 4
DS 1

mamanlait

Re: Singapore Math Textbook Question

Post by mamanlait » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:03 pm

I'm not sure what the official HOD recommendation is but we do ALL of the textbook problems and ALL of the workbook problems. I have a Singapore graduate (through 6B) :) and I'm thankful that we took things slow and steady and completed everything.
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:40 pm

We typically did all of the examples in the textbook as well. We did these together on the whiteboard. Then they typically did the workbook problems on their own. On days when there are a bunch of textbook problems, like a review, there usually isn't anything scheduled in the workbook. Then when there is a workbook review, the textbook isn't scheduled. So there usually isn't a lot of problems on any given day even when considering the textbook and workbook problems. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:39 pm

yes, you would want to do both :-)

I do the text book orally or on a marker board and the workbook they do alone. The textbook is how they learn how to do the workbook activities.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

coastalmom

Post by coastalmom » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Ok Thank you! We have been using Singapore Standards Edition from the beginning up until this point. It was way too many problems so we always did less in the textbook. This year I switched everyone - we are following HOD's recommendation and using US Edition, and I want to make sure we are thoroughly covering the lesson. We will continue doing the textbook with my children on the whiteboard and complete all textbook problems.
CS

DD 11 RTR
DS 9 Preparing
DS 6 Beyond
DD 4
DS 1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:14 pm

Good question! :D As the ladies shared, it is HOD's recommendation to do all of the problems on the assigned textbook pages and on the assigned workbook pages, unless otherwise noted in the plans (for example in the upper math schedules it is often noted as optional to do the final end reviews). The good news is it doesn't take long, and it really helps dc do well with their math work! HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie