Contemplating switching to Singapore, but uncertain...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
countrylivin

Contemplating switching to Singapore, but uncertain...

Post by countrylivin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:17 pm

I have been using HOD for one year now with my kiddos :D , but only switched my three younger kiddos to Singapore last spring. My 11 DD is using TT 5 happily, but I am not seeing her understanding of math increasing very much. I just got back her ITBS scores, and she didn't have a one grade jump up in math. Normally that would be find, but with this love, she is already a little behind in math. I am pondering switching her over to Singapore and doing 4A, 4B, & 5A with her for 6th grade, and then doing 5B, 6A, & 6B for 7th. I don't want to over react to the standardized test scores :oops: , but I also want to help her have a solid foundation in math before heading into advanced math. Anyone made a switch to Singapore to help an older child firm up their math foundation? I would love to hear your insight!
Amy
Wife to Jonny
Momma to
DS 19 YWAM
DD 17 college grad
DS 15 World History
DD 13 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 11 Resurrection to Reformation
DS 10 Resurrection to Reformation
DS 8 Bigger Hearts
DD 4 LHTH

http://www.familyrestorationproject.com

Tidbits of Learning

Re: Contemplating switching to Singapore, but uncertain...

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:44 am

We haven't switched into Singapore this late, but we have previously used Teaching Textbooks. It is a great math program if you want hands off and minimal fuss, but I personally feel it is behind in concepts and understanding achieved by a student. I wouldn't base everything on a standardized test, but after having done TT and switching to a charter. I discovered the TT6 was the same scope and sequence as the charter math's 4th grade level. My ds was 4th and I compared my dd's 6th grade TT to his text and found TT lacking. It was eye opening for me.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:05 pm

I would definitely have her take the placement test and see where she places. Also, Singapore 6A/6B are basically pre-algebra. So, as long as you have that completed well by the end of 8th grade, you are okay. I wouldn't try to do 1.5 years of math in 1 year with a student that isn't mathy and wanting to go faster.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:35 pm

I definitely say do the placement test. ds11 went back to Singapore this year and he placed 3a-ish. He could have went into 3b but wasn't really strong in the placement test on 3a. So our goal is to get him through 6a/6b and then go into Algebra 1.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:23 pm

I come from RightStart math and both are Asian math. I find that Singapore naturally helps kids to figure things out. My younger 2 are very mathy and my oldest is not. This year my oldest will be completing 4A & 4B for 5th grade. She actually already knows most of the concepts but she doesn't always "think". So I think Singapore will be a fantastic fit for her. I am very excited to start the program. Also - for my son, he is has significantly increased is speed in working through things where before I tried to teach him tricks and it didn't work out. Now, he flies through it and thinks so fast. Both and my youngest are thriving significantly. I can't say enough great things about it.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

countrylivin

Post by countrylivin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:37 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! After starting HOD I literally 'Burned the Ship' and sold all my years of accumulated homeschooling materials. Teaching Textbook is the last survivor :wink: I so value just making a plan and sticking to it (Learned from MANY years of switching), that I am having to let that go a bit to think of switching Lydia. However, when I think about it, it could never be wrong to switch to Singapore, but it could be wrong to stay with Teaching Textbook. :shock: I also think she would benefit from sitting by my side for her math lessons so that I could help her whenever a question arose. Has Carrie ever posted about her experience using TT with her oldest? I think she did for a year, but not sure. I would love to hear her opinion if anyone knows...

Okay - off to make supper for my crew! Blessings on your days!
Amy
Wife to Jonny
Momma to
DS 19 YWAM
DD 17 college grad
DS 15 World History
DS 8 Bigger Hearts
DD 4 LHTH

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:46 pm

Here is one post where Carrie talks about it:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13453&p=96518&hilit ... oks#p96518
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

countrylivin

Post by countrylivin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Thanks for the link....

Wow, now I'm wondering what to do even more. Carrie's point about just staying the course with a math curriculum is a compelling argument to just stay with Teaching Textbook. Hmmmm.... What to do, what to do....
Amy
Wife to Jonny
Momma to
DS 19 YWAM
DD 17 college grad
DS 15 World History
DS 8 Bigger Hearts
DD 4 LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:46 pm

HI Amy! Here is one more link to read, where Carrie further explained her TT experience with her ds, as well as where other moms share their experiences with their dc with TT...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9266

I think I'd give the Singapore placement test to your dd, and see where she places! That won't take very long, and it may help you sort through your decision. :D :D :D Another thing to weigh may be if this dd is really into math and may someday go into a math-based field of study upon graduation (probably difficult to tell though this early). If so, you may want a more challenging math plan for her, such as Singapore. If not, then something less challenging may be better. And if you are not sure one way or the other, I'd probably try to do Singapore just to cover your bases (but that may just be me, and I may be biased because I love Singapore :wink: ). Just a few thoughts to consider! Hope something here helps!!! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie