Placement for 6th and 8th

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
*~Summer~*

Placement for 6th and 8th

Post by *~Summer~* » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Hello,

I am planning on ordering HOD for my 6th and 8th grader this upcoming year. I just want to double check and see if I have them placed into the right guides.

For my 6th grader....she just turned 11, and I was thinking of Resurrection to Reformation. She reads well. This past year the hardest chapter book she read was the Hobbit, but her favorite book that she read for fun was Farmer Boy. Reading is not a love for her. She can do copywork/narration/dictation very well. She did Apologia Zoology 3 on her own this year, and did very long narrations in her journal. We also did narration/dictation for spelling and writing. She has completed two years of IEW. She loves to write, and has no problem writing 2-3 paragraphs (or possibly more). She has had lots of grammar and diagramming. We would use IEW for grammar/writing, and CLE for math. Do you think RTR would be a good fit for her? My only concern is that she doesn't like to read...even though she can.

For my 8th grader....he just turned 13, and I was thinking of Missions to Modern Marvels. He reads extremely well, and he loves to read. He has read several higher level books. He did Apologia General Science this year independently, and it went well. He can do copywork/narrations/dictation very well. He has had several years of writing instruction, and can write several paragraphs although he does not enjoy writing. He has had several years of grammar, and can diagram very well. We would be using IEW for writing/grammar, and Saxon for math. Do you think MTMM would be a good fit for him?

Since we are just coming back to HOD I don't want to burn them out by selecting too hard of a guide for them. They both have done some independent work. I think HOD might be a little more writing and researching then they are used to. I would work with them both for a unit or two just to get them used to it.

Also, both of my children LOVE science, and if they go to college they will probably choose to go for something science related. This past year my ds has actually really enjoyed Apologia General...even though I am not 100% in love. I do think it would prepare them well for college though. Do you think we would be better off sticking with Apologia for 8th grade and up rather than HOD science? HOD science looks fun and more enjoyable, but I want to make sure they are prepared.
DS(8th) HOD MTMM
DD(6th) HOD RTR
DS(4) LHTH
DD(3) LHTH

8arrows

Re: Placement for 6th and 8th

Post by 8arrows » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:55 am

It sounds like it would work. CTC is less reading if you think the reading will be an issue in RTR. As far as the science, that is really a personal call. HOD science is complete. It sometimes looks deceivingly simple, when there really is a lot of meat! It is definitely a different flavor than Apologia. RTR uses IEW. Preparing, RTR, and MTMM are my three favorite guides so far!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

*~Summer~*

Post by *~Summer~* » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks 8arrows,

We have decided to use HOD science. It looks really good, and I think my kids will enjoy it much more.
DS(8th) HOD MTMM
DD(6th) HOD RTR
DS(4) LHTH
DD(3) LHTH

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:45 pm

It sounds like good placement choices to me from what you've said. The amount of reading might be more than your dd likes to begin with but I don't think the level is going to be too high. We haven't done MTMM yet, so I have no experience with it, but it sounds like you have looked over the placement chart and placed them accordingly. Sounds like you have a great year ahead! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi Summer! 8arrows and pjdobro already did a great job of helping you! I think your placements sound right from what you've shared, and I like your idea to help them ease into it the first several weeks. One thing I'll share - in these upper guides it is helpful to view them as Teacher's Guides AND as Student Planners. For the "I" boxes and also for the "S" boxes, it is very helpful to have dc practice reading the directions and following them themselves directly from the guide. The directions for the "I" boxes and a good portion of the "S" boxes are written to the students, so this works beautifully as a student planner in those instances. You have a wonderful year ahead of you with RTR and MTMM! :D

In Christ
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

*~Summer~*

Post by *~Summer~* » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:37 pm

Thank you both! I am really excited to be using HOD this year :D.
DS(8th) HOD MTMM
DD(6th) HOD RTR
DS(4) LHTH
DD(3) LHTH