cursive writing?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Charika30

cursive writing?

Post by Charika30 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:13 pm

Trying to decide between the Italic book D or cheerful cursive? Any thoughts? From what I understand these r completely two different styles of cursive handwriting? Any pros and cons to each?

mamanlait

Re: cursive writing?

Post by mamanlait » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:01 pm

The only pro/con I can think of is that the History-Drawing Books that are used throughout the guides have dictation passages that are in traditional cursive. Personally, I like the look of italics but went with the Cheerful Cursive book because I didn't want to confuse my children when it came to reading and re-writing traditional cursive.

Ultimately, I have no regrets.
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:36 pm

We didn't do the Italics book, but loved Cheerful Cursive. It was a fun book that my dc looked forward to doing everyday. One of the things that I really liked about it was that it helped them learn how to read cursive (various types) not just write it. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:06 pm

I agree, my daughter loved Cheerful Cursive, the writing of it was fun and the way it taught cursive was good and pretty easy.

I did some of the earlier Italic books and they are not nearly as fun. Plus as others mentioned, it is a different approach to cursive, one I personally don't like as well.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:05 pm

I think Cheerful cursive is great. I have a child that struggles a little bit still with fine motor but he is really liking the cheerful cursive.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Charika30

Post by Charika30 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:13 am

Wow, it looks like cheerful cursive it is. Thank u ladies! :)