Preparing Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
shaffer96

Preparing Question

Post by shaffer96 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:09 am

Hi, I am just curious if most of you use Preparing for 3rd or 4th grade? My daughter has a summer birthday and could technically be in 4th grade as she just turned 9, but she is working at a 3rd grade level in most subjects.
Thanks!
DD 8 - BHFHG
DS 5 1/2 - LHFHG
DS 4 - Enjoying preschool toys and workbooks.

MomtoJGJE

Re: Preparing Question

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:39 am

Have you looked at the placement chart?

My 9yo (turned 9 in January) is just beginning Preparing (started today actually), but she's gone through LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger...

I think Preparing is a great 4th grade program, but only if they absolutely fit there on the placement chart... there would be no hesitation for me to put a child in Bigger in 4th grade, especially if they were a young 4th grader.

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:14 pm

On a "normal" track Preparing is 4th grade, and if you do one guide per year after that you would complete all the guides and get all the available H.S. credits.

Many people are ahead or behind this schedule. Proper placement is what you want, not a specific grade level, as kids really learn and grow at their own pace and if they are properly placed you will enjoy your experience with HOD so much more.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:15 pm

I agree with the others. You will need to check the placement chart to see if your child is ready for it or not. My oldest dd had no problem starting when she was 8, almost 9. My youngest is very advanced and she will start when she is 8. But my middle child, he will start at either 9 or 10 LOL. Each child is just so different :-) So check the placement chart to see if your 9 yo is ready for Preparing. If not, then Bigger is also an excellent program too. And you could do Bigger without the extensions.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

jenn in nc

Post by jenn in nc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:47 am

MomtoJGJE wrote:I think Preparing is a great 4th grade program, but only if they absolutely fit there on the placement chart... there would be no hesitation for me to put a child in Bigger in 4th grade, especially if they were a young 4th grader.
My daughter is in this situation exactly, on the younger side, and we did Bigger this year for 4th, and will be doing Preparing next year for 5th. For her this is a perfect fit and she has had a fantastic year.
Jenn, mom to 10

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:51 am

We used Preparing in 4th grade when my dc had just turned 9. It was a good fit, but we had done LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger, the three years prior, so it was the natural progression for us. I agree with the others that the grade really doesn't matter, just go with where your dc places on the placement chart. That's the most important thing. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:22 pm

We used PHFHG for 3rd grade for my oldest ds and for 4th grade for my middle ds! Both were a success! :D Placement is key, as the ladies have so wisely shared. Doublecheck the placement chart and place your sweetie in the guide that fits her best right now - you'll have a super year ahead of you then! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:59 pm

As we do math and language separately from the guidebook schedule, I have ended up using Preparing as young as third and as old as fifth. When I did it with the third grader I had to help with research and help more with history project. I am thinking about using it this upcoming year for my daughter for 5th grade (she's never done it - my mistake - I should have had her do it this year but with a new baby I was doing something different). I will have her do almost all of it independently. I will do poetry and storytime follow-up with her.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:16 pm

If your DD completed Bigger, then she should be fine to start Preparing. My son used Preparing for "4th" grade, he turned 9 in July before starting.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!