Something ELSE Homeschooled Kids Don't know :)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mrsrandolph

Something ELSE Homeschooled Kids Don't know :)

Post by mrsrandolph » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:50 pm

We recently got a family version of Trivial Pursuit. It has separate questions for the adults and children. My "homeschooled" / "sheltered"/ "unsocialized" kiddos don't do so well with some of the questions. One asked what Justin Beiber's fans were called. My kids said. "Who is that?" LOL

Another was about Hannah Montana...again "Who is that?"

And...they don't know the pledge that well either... : )
That one we may actually work on!!
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

raindrops

Re: Something ELSE Homeschooled Kids Don't know :)

Post by raindrops » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:28 pm

Haha, that is great. (I also don't know what Justin's fans would be called.)

Their interests/ ya'lls conversations would be totally different if they were in public school. <shudder> fashion and entertainment focused.

Thanks to HOD, my son's favorite thing is to pretend I am Squanto.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:37 pm

Justin's fans are Belibers. Like believers crossed with Bieber. But I'm from the same province. Kinda hard to escape it, lol.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

annaz

Post by annaz » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:34 pm

We got tired of "trivia" games since most had to do with TV or some Hollywierd personality. sigh.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:51 am

I'll add to the list. My kids are in a nature day camp this week and I have made a list for myself '35 Lessons from Day Camp' ...ie. reasons we should continue to homeschool based on what they've been telling me (for future reference when I'd like to throw in the towel). :) Topics include: vampires, blood, current books & movies (that contain the first 2 topics), alternative relationships, demons, possession...it's scary what's out there in teen culture and what is even scarier is that there is a huge trickle-down effect in the elementary ages. My 9 yo was made fun of for liking Frozen (most of the children appreciated movies such as Hunger Games & Divergent at 9, apparently). I'm convicted to not only protect my children's worldview but to shower ps children in prayers to protect their minds. Murder, blood, and violence have been the catch phrases of all ages. This is so very concerning! Please pray with me.
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:18 am

That is so true, mamanlait... :( I am always amazed when it is ... how should I put it? A christian family and the kids rooms are covered in vampire posters and scooby do stuff and other occult things. Monster High dolls. !!

The Biblical study in Beyond has been delightful. DS and I have talked about some of these things simply because they've come up during our bible study in Beyond. It is nice because we're one on one and totally focused rather than just a passing comment about vampires and whatever. And how we are called to honor God. Well, I have really appreciated it. I am looking forward to seeing what is in Bigger! :D

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:12 am

I am also disturbed by things in current culture and how young kids are exposed to these things. We never play trivia games because we are so out of pop culture we would all flunk. :wink: There's good and bad to this of course, I have read The Hunger Games and Divergent and found the first depressing and the second less so but still not something I would let a child under the age of at least 14 read. I have no desire to see the movies. Why does our culture worship or at least love to dwell upon evil?

Homeschooling is a great blessing in this way, my kids are not even pressured to be into these things by their peers. I have one child who struggles with nightmares, and even tense scenes in G rated movies scare her and make her fearful. We talk about how God helps us overcome fear when we trust in Him and that He has all power. Frozen was a stretch for her in movie viewing so we just have not watched much as a family. I think we are hopefully protecting our children's hearts, they will see the evil of the world soon enough, but for now I hope they enjoy being kids and being innocent and having joy in creation and simple things.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:16 am

It also scares me what other kids my children's age know as well. I can't believe how exposed they are to everything. I am so glad that I get to homeschool my kids for this reason alone. Luckily for us - we haven't experienced much backlash for what my kids have seen or not seen.

And for the record - I am completely dumbfounded that someone would think letting a 9 year old watch Hunger Games was in any way acceptable! I love the series myself and I can see letting a teen read or watch it. But 9 versus 13 is a huge difference!!!! Plus, at 9 they don't even understand themes of the movie and what makes it such a strong message. It is a waste at that point anyway IMHO.

Hopefully more parent's eyes will be opened and they will start guarding their children's eyes and hearts. Even if they aren't Christians, they will hopefully realize these actions they are taking aren't wise.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 am

I forgot to mention the best part of our Day Camp story. My dd9, who is in Preparing currently where Grandpa's Box provides a wonderful introduction to the battle against good and evil, has been able to give thoughtful narratives. She shared with me that the enemy has all ready lost the battle and she couldn't understand why he keeps trying. She said that she knew our battle wasn't against flesh and blood but against the dark forces and she could clearly see that the enemy was attacking these children through contemporary culture (books and movies). She has been very disturbed by what she's heard but has clearly discerned dark from Light. I can't imagine her having this Godly foundation and understanding without HOD! Praise God for this provision. I'm so thankful that I'm able to homeschool my children!
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:50 am

I agree, it is so wonderful that our children are learning discernment of worldy things and Satan's tactics to distract us from truth, good, and right. Phillipians 4:8 - my daughter in Beyond memorized that verse and I try to hold it for myself as well as my family in what are we putting our minds on, what are we glorifying with our time and our hearts? I can always do better and I hope to keep an open dialogue with my children about all the things they see and hear.

I am so blessed that my children are learning to discern truth!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:53 pm

mamanlait wrote:I forgot to mention the best part of our Day Camp story. My dd9, who is in Preparing currently where Grandpa's Box provides a wonderful introduction to the battle against good and evil, has been able to give thoughtful narratives. She shared with me that the enemy has all ready lost the battle and she couldn't understand why he keeps trying. She said that she knew our battle wasn't against flesh and blood but against the dark forces and she could clearly see that the enemy was attacking these children through contemporary culture (books and movies). She has been very disturbed by what she's heard but has clearly discerned dark from Light. I can't imagine her having this Godly foundation and understanding without HOD! Praise God for this provision. I'm so thankful that I'm able to homeschool my children!
That. Is. Awesome.

I mean really awesome.