Canadian's using HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
myboys

Canadian's using HOD

Post by myboys » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:32 am

Hello I'm just wondering if there any Canadians who have used HOD CTC or RTR. I'm close to ordering both of these levels but wondering how or if there is any Canadian history involved or if you have added your own. Thank you in advance for your time.

Rachel

Re: Canadian's using HOD

Post by Rachel » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:55 pm

We are Canadians (living overseas) finishing up CTC right now, and will use RTR (I assume you mean 'Resurrection to Reformation') next year. These 2 guides are about Ancient Times and Medieval Times mostly, so I didn't feel the need to add in any Canadian history... except for extra books I keep around the house anyway that are full of fun pictures and info about Canadian history/geography. My ds did listen in a lot while I taught my dd Canadian history (gr. 3), since I have substituted that for the Bigger guide, and I had already covered some of that with him when he was in gr. 3. I anticipate needing to add in Canadian history again somehow during the Revival to Revolution & MTMM guides, since they cover that specific time period more. Not completely decided yet how I will work that out, but it's in the back of my mind.
married to dh since 1998
ds 12, RTR
dd 9, Preparing

Rice

Post by Rice » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:18 pm

I'll add my name here, even though we're just starting HOD for the first time (CTC) with my oldest three so I don't have any wisdom to add. Just wanted others to be able to recognize me on the boards as Canadian, too!

I appreciate Rachel's comments, as that is what I was thinking ahead to, as well. (ie. following the HOD timeline as we do Cdn history, so no need to add/change anything this year)

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:20 pm

We're doing Bigger this coming year and adding Canadian history.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

myboys

Post by myboys » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:31 pm

Thank you ladies for your input, sounds like I don't really have to worry about including Canadian history for a couple of years. We just finished the Canadian Natives Long Ago which my boys enjoyed, I have sitting on my shelf the Province to Province, and the Courage books so I will most likely use those at some point in time. Just curious where are you located in Canada, we are from Ontario.

Kendra

Rice

Post by Rice » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:00 pm

MB (Shortest answer I've ever given on a message board!) :D
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:25 pm

We're in ON.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

sted

Post by sted » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:39 pm

Hi everyone,

We are Canadian and have used HOD for several years now. Unfortunately there are no similar programs using Canadian Content. I took a year off, couple years back to cover Canadian History by using a variety of resources including the CBC videos, Story of Canada (which is kind of dry), My First History of Canada(better but for younger grades) and several other books. I felt I needed to do it but boy, did I miss having everything so laid out for me as in HOD! I started to run out of steam and good resources to do it the whole year! And taking the year off seemed to mess me up knowing whether to age-wise put my daughter into the next level and miss the chronology of the HOD programs or just continue from where she left off.

Not sure how I'd do it in the future. Maybe just do it alongside HOD or do a month or two at the end of the year or something. My oldest is likely going to do the new World History program next year(for grade 11) and then do Donna Wards 20th Century Canadian History for grade 12, However we really enjoyed learning the American History that I never learned in school here in Canada. If anyone figures out a good way to integrate the two, I'd sure be interested. We need someone to write a Canadian History supplement to go along with the HOD programs each year!

By the way, I'm in Alberta :D

Shannon
dd, age 14
dd, age 12
dd, age 10
ds, age 8
dd, age 5
dd, age 1

Tooactiveboys

Post by Tooactiveboys » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:54 pm

I am originally from Canada but have grown up in the States since I was 6. We are going to my cousins wedding later this summer and I know my relatives will have a lot of questions about homeschooling (many are public school educators). What is homeschooling like in Canada? Is it a big movement? Just getting started? Is it very regulated or loose regulations? Just curious how things are :D
Becky
Married to DH 21 years
DS 9 just finishing Bigger
DS 8 just finishing Bigger
Completed: LHFG, Beyond

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:40 am

Like the US, it varies from province to province. AB will reimburse you for your curriculum, but you have to do reporting. ON, there's no reporting or anything. You're just required to provide satisfactory education. No credit or reimbursement. I am not familiar with any other province. It's definitely growing though. There's many stores, conferences and groups. I know about a dozen homeschoolers.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

Rice

Post by Rice » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:11 am

Tooactiveboys wrote:I am originally from Canada but have grown up in the States since I was 6. We are going to my cousins wedding later this summer and I know my relatives will have a lot of questions about homeschooling (many are public school educators). What is homeschooling like in Canada? Is it a big movement? Just getting started? Is it very regulated or loose regulations? Just curious how things are :D
Typing from MB here: Canada is probably 20 years behind the States when it comes to homeschooling but it is quickly growing and becoming more mainstream. There are enough people pulling kids in some communities that school boards are asking homeschoolers to put their kids back in school (for the funding), but in other places there isn't anyone yet. There are two provincial Associations (one Christian, one secular) and both are growing annually, with each of them having an annual conference.
In MB the regulations are very simple: register in September stating curriculum/methods/resources used, send in reports in January and June. No marks required, just satisfactory progress. Along with the lack of oversight and control comes zero funding.
I think Quebec is the only province where homeschooling is actually difficult legally.
Blessings,
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics

Tooactiveboys

Post by Tooactiveboys » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks, Interesting to see how things are in different places. One of my Uncles is a principle at a Christian School in Alberta. Maybe I can get him in touch with Carrie about a Canadian History to parallel the US History.... Who knows, I will see him at the wedding and chat :)

In Christ,
Becky
Becky
Married to DH 21 years
DS 9 just finishing Bigger
DS 8 just finishing Bigger
Completed: LHFG, Beyond

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:30 pm

I have a friends who's an English and Geography teacher. I've been telling her she needs to write a curriculum. It'd be so cool if we could get a few people to work with Carrie after the next two guides are done, to Canadianize the American guides. A girl can dream...
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR