Switching from BJU Press English to Rod & Staff

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momtocj

Switching from BJU Press English to Rod & Staff

Post by momtocj » Fri May 30, 2014 3:17 pm

I am thinking about switching to Rod and Staff for English next year. My students are going into 9th, 7th and 6th in the fall. We have been using BJU Press English for the past two years. They have been doing their correct grade level books for BJU. I will be using the World Geography guide for my 9th grader next year and it is suggesting Rod & Staff 7 for her. I couldn't find any placement tests for Rod & Staff, so how do I know where to correctly place her? Has anyone else moved from BJU English to Rod & Staff? If so, how did you place your students? I plan to move the 6th & 7th graders too. Again, not sure where to place them. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Amanda

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Switching from BJU Press English to Rod & Staff

Post by Carrie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Amanda,

If your oldest did BJU Grade 8 last year for English, then I would think that it would work to go into Rod and Staff English 7 at half-speed as planned in the World Geography guide. :D

If your 6th grader did BJU English 5, then I would lean toward going into Rod and Staff English 5 as a 6th grader. For your 7th grader, I would lean toward going into Rod and Staff English 6, doing it half-speed over two years (doing the first half in grade 7 and the last half in grade 8). If you get the books and feel that the levels I mentioned aren't right for your students, you can always return or exchange them within the next 30 days with no penalty. :D

Blessings,
Carrie