Suggestions for movies set during WWII

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Homeschooln2qts

Suggestions for movies set during WWII

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Thu May 29, 2014 12:31 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for age appropriate (dd is age 11) movies for the WWII time period? We're in Preparing and we're just now learning a little about FDR, Churchhill, Hitler, Nazi Germany, Mussolini, the attack on Pearl Harbor, etc. and it is all so fascinating. I would love to expand on it all some more, esp. since in the grand scheme of history, it really wasn't that long ago! I realize that finding age appropriate movies (PG rating) might be a tough challenge simply because of the thematic content of this time period, but it doesn't necessarily need to be strictly about the Holocaust or WWII, but maybe just set in the time period. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/

MomtoJGJE

Re: Suggestions for movies set during WWII

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu May 29, 2014 1:12 pm

I'm not sure what your version of appropriate is, but I'll give you some ideas....

Pearl Harbor (version shown on channels like abcfamily has a lot of stuff cut out that our family views as inappropriate)
Saving Private Ryan (again, tv version cuts out a lot of stuff)

Then there are a bunch of older movies which in general are cleaner... The Bridge on the River Kwai is one example...

Just an idea, do a google search on WWII movies and plug them into common sense media...

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Thu May 29, 2014 1:39 pm

I think there is an American Girl movie set during that time.
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

Homeschooln2qts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Thu May 29, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I never knew about Common Sense Media! Very helpful website! Also, I just rented the American Girl movie "Molly" to watch tonight. Thanks so much!
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Fri May 30, 2014 10:41 am

When is the AG movie 'Kit' set? Might be around then as it deals with the depression.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Kalle

Post by Kalle » Fri May 30, 2014 10:57 am

The Hiding Place is a great movie about Corrie Ten Boom and her family.
Ds 12 and dd 10 preparing after school
Ds 8 beyond after school
Dd 5 and ds 3 LHTH

4arrows

Post by 4arrows » Fri May 30, 2014 7:38 pm

sound of music