SM 6A/6B straight into Foerster's Alg 1?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momtofive

SM 6A/6B straight into Foerster's Alg 1?

Post by momtofive » Wed May 21, 2014 9:53 am

My oldest will begin Foerster's Alg 1 this fall, and is completely prepared for it, though we did use another math up to this point with him. When we found HOD, it was a little late in the game to switch him to Singapore, so we stuck with what was working for him. For my younger kids we're now using HOD'S recommendation of Singapore Math, and they are loving it, and thriving with this program!! :)

I've read Carrie ' s recommendation that kids can go from SM 6A/6B right into Foerster's Alg 1. I was planning on doing just that, when I read something about Singapore not covering negative numbers or probability. And that you would have to cover those in some other way before beginning Algebra 1.

So my question is if that is true, OR if students can successfully go from 6B to Alg 1? Are there concepts that should be covered, that aren't addressed in SM? I'm really pleased with SM, and love that my students enjoy it! I just don't want them to be frustrated later if they are confronted with things in algebra that I could have prepared them better for.

Any advice or thoughts on this are appreciated! ;)
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

wonderfilled

Re: SM 6A/6B straight into Foerster's Alg 1?

Post by wonderfilled » Wed May 21, 2014 5:33 pm

My son went into Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 from SM 6B and he did great. I know that isn't as challenging as Foerster's. I think I read that one of Julie's sons went into Foerster's after SM 6B. Hopefully, somebody with more experience can answer you.
Enjoying Heart of Dakota for our fifth year using:
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts
http://wonderfilleddays.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 22, 2014 9:48 am

Lisa,

After finishing Foerster's Algebra I this year with our second oldest son, I would say that much will depend on the age of your children when they exit Singapore 6A/6B as to whether they can go right into Foerster's Algebra I. It will take a very strong math student who should be at the end of 7th grade or beginning of 8th grade at the very least to make the transition to Foerster's well. I wouldn't recommend using it for the whole year with a 7th grader, as it has been selected more than once as an honors level high school Algebra I text. Maturity will play a big role as well, because students need to be mature enough to critically think through the story problem sets for which Foerster is well-known. :D

One thought for students who are exiting Singpore 6A/6B prior to grade 7 would be to go through No-Nonsense Algebra I for a 7th grader and then go into Foerster's Algebra I as an 8th grader or a freshman. This would give the child a no frills, no-nonsense introduction to Algebra I that would help as he/she heads into Foerster's Algebra I. In this scenario, you would only list one credit of Algebra I for completing Foerster's Algebra I, and the No-Nonsense Algebra would be considered preparatory. Another possibility, with a young student, is to do Discovering Math 7A/7B before going into Foerster's Algebra I. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Thu May 22, 2014 12:05 pm

Thank you so much, Carrie, for taking time to reply! ;) I know you're quite busy wrapping up convention season. :)

I have a few different scenarios in our house:

My oldest, as I mentioned is mathy and prepared for Foerster's in the fall, so no problems there! ;)

My next ds is more of a math struggler, at least in the past, and he's now soaring with Singapore.He's mostly where my concern lies. His earlier years of math were tough.....but now, praise the Lord, things are clicking and he's making such wonderful strides. He started with Singapore in the 3B level, and I was hoping if he finished level 6B by the end of eighth grade, he could start Foerster's in 9th. He's just finishing 6th grade now, and will begin 4B in the fall. Being that he's a late bloomer of sorts, with math, and will be finishing up the primary math series in eighth grade, can he easily go into Foerster's for his 9th grade math? (He'll definitely have the maturity, and all the skills covered in the six levels of SM.) Or should I be moving him through a bit faster so he can do the No-Nonsense Alg first?

For my next children in line, they are all doing SM at the same level as each of their HOD guides suggest, and they are on track to start the WG guide in 9th grade. For those students, who are much more math-minded, I'll likely do the DM 7A/7B books prior to beginning Foerster's in 9th.

Really most of my concern is with my second ds, as I want him to be completely prepared for doing Foerster's in 9th.

Thank you so much, Carrie for your help and advice! I truly appreciate it! ;)
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!