Math help-What after TT Algebra 1?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
wonderfilled

Math help-What after TT Algebra 1?

Post by wonderfilled » Mon May 19, 2014 7:24 pm

My son just finished Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1. He did really well and enjoyed it. He will be in 9th grade next school year. I like the looks of Carrie's plans for Geometry using Geometry A Guided Inquiry and the Math without Borders DVDs. However he will be in the World Geography guide and so I will not have her plans for math. I think I would like the plans since it doesn't look like it's very well scheduled out on its own. I'm considering different options, but am not sure what is the best.

1. I could buy the World History guides a year ahead to have the guide, but we would prefer to start the school year before September, and I really didn't want to buy the guide early.
2. I could try doing Geometry without the written plans.
3. I could have him do TT Algebra 2 and then he would be ready for geometry when he is in the World History guide. After that he could do TT Pre-Calculus. This would probably be more than enough math for him.
4. I could have him do some other Algebra to prepare him for Foerster's Algebra 2 after Geometry, but I'm not sure what, and I don't want to make him feel like he wasted his year of Algebra. The reason I'm considering this is that I understand it would be a tough leap from Teaching Textbooks to Foerster's. We have been happy with TT, though, and maybe we should just stick to it for Algebra.
5. I could even just do TT Geometry this coming year, but I (and he) sort of felt like a change of pace.

I'm not sure anybody can even help me with this. Maybe it's just a decision I have to make on my own, but if anybody has any advice or insight, I would be happy to hear it.
Enjoying Heart of Dakota for our fifth year using:
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts
http://wonderfilleddays.com

StillJulie

Re: Math help-What after TT Algebra 1?

Post by StillJulie » Mon May 19, 2014 8:57 pm

We are following the Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry sequence; so that is always an option. Some math-pros recommend it. It wouldn't be an unreasonable option.

In that case you could do TT Algebra 2...
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

wonderfilled

Post by wonderfilled » Tue May 20, 2014 7:12 am

Thanks, StillJulie.

I guess I read that it's better to do Geometry first to give the student more time before he got into the harder concepts in Algebra 2, so I got a little scared of that route. But since he did great in Algebra 1 he probably would not have a problem.

And maybe because I loved Geometry so much during school I'm eager for him to get to it. :D But I know that's not a good reason.
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue May 20, 2014 7:38 am

I would say do Algebra 2 in your case. Then do the Geometry in the WH guide. Then I would see what Carrie has planned for Algebra 2 and advanced math. Also, you can see what career plans your son has. If it is anything that would require Calculus (business, anything science related, etc), then I would consider doing another year of algebra and calling it "advanced algebra" or something like that. The CC I teach at calls the class above College Algebra Advanced Algebra, and it is half of Pre-Calculus (other half is Trigonometry). So, it would be common name for something at that level. I would only do Trigonometry if your son is going into something that requires it - physics, engineering, math, and architecture are the only ones I can think of right now. Life sciences (medical fields) and business only require non-trig calculus normally. And then all other degrees normally don't require calculus at all.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

wonderfilled

Post by wonderfilled » Tue May 20, 2014 8:17 am

Thanks StefanieU!
Right now my son has no idea what he wants for the future. Maybe after we do TT Algebra 2 and Geometry we will have a clearer picture about the future and can make our decision from there concerning higher math.
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Tue May 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Will the geometry actually have a schedule in WH? The Algebra doesn't in WG. It is just a suggested text to use and there isn't any type of scheduling within the HOD guide just a box that says to do it.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

wonderfilled

Post by wonderfilled » Tue May 20, 2014 2:33 pm

You're probably right about the scheduling. I just assumed that there would be a schedule, but if there isn't one in the World Geography guide, then there probably isn't one in the World History guide. :)
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed May 21, 2014 6:20 pm

We did Alg. 1, Alg. 2, and then geometry. In your case, I might stick with the same publisher for Alg. 1 and 2. It would be no big deal to switch for geometry. However, you should know that we did use TT, so I could be biased. Carrie did not have the guides out when my older boys were in high school.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.