Combining in Preparing, then what later?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TXmommy

Combining in Preparing, then what later?

Post by TXmommy » Mon May 19, 2014 1:53 pm

I will be doing HOD this next year with my three kiddos. My two oldest will be 8 and 9 (almost 10), I'll be combining them in Preparing. I've got a question about much later down the road ;) if I combine them now, my youngest will finish the last guide a year early. Like I said, I know this is a ways off, but I want to get started on the right foot. What do you do for the younger child their last year or two, when they've finished the guides with the older child? (I'm not wanting my younger one to graduate early.) They will be one year apart in math, language arts, and reading. I hope this makes sense and thank you for your help!

MelInKansas

Re: Combining in Preparing, then what later?

Post by MelInKansas » Mon May 19, 2014 2:17 pm

If by God's grace you end up with a child who has finished the last HS guide a year early what I would do is have that child enroll in college courses and get credit as a high schooler. In most areas this is cheaper than taking the classes as a college student. However, reality of my life is I know I need that flex year in there somewhere as sometimes we don't finish everything in a year's time.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Mon May 19, 2014 5:11 pm

It would be a real blessing to have an extra year to work with.
For one, "life" sometimes gets in the way. If it doesn't you have a year to focus on LA, Math, and a really good elective or two. A lot of students have a light year for 12th grade. That's the way we planned mine - (I was homeschooled)- since I had to work.

Given time I think you will find it works itself out.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

TXmommy

Post by TXmommy » Mon May 19, 2014 5:31 pm

Thank you, I'm sure it will work out...
I was kinda curious how others deal with this, so your input is appreciated!
Mommy to three precious little ones... and one on the way!
Excited to be using HOD for the first time our next school year :)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue May 27, 2014 12:49 pm

We also have had extra time built in... with my oldest it has almost disappeared :shock: Like others have said... life seems to happen.

But our plans, if we ever have any finish early is for them to work/apprentice/intern or take college classes.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 27, 2014 8:04 pm

My oldest - Lord willing - will graduate a year early. I am so thankful as we have just been through so much with my Dad's final battle with pancreatic cancer, and I can see that having a year to work with, when looking ahead to my Mom's possible health needs, would be an incredible blessing! That being said, if Wyatt does finish a year early, we plan to enroll him in College Plus. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie