Singapore math help please

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
schultzjen13

Singapore math help please

Post by schultzjen13 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:50 am

My two oldest are in Singapore Math 4b. We've struggled through Singapore off and on. I did recently get the HIG, and that does seem to help me in teaching them new concepts. However, they are currently going through some review pages, and having troubles. They don't seem to be remembering a lot of what they've already learned! We even spent extra time with fractions, and they are still forgetting some basic concepts. Does anyone else find this to be a struggle with Singapore? I don't like how it rarely reviews what they've learned, and I think it hinders their retention. Do any of you supplement Singapore to build in some review?

I feel like switching right now, and would love some guidance!
DD11 - Creation to Christ
DS11 - Creation to Christ
DD7 - Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory
DS5 - Little Hearts for His Glory
DD3 - Having fun!

StephanieU

Re: Singapore math help please

Post by StephanieU » Mon May 19, 2014 11:56 am

Everyone is different when it comes to math. That is why there are so many options. Some students need the constant review and others don't. Part of post removed by board moderator per board rules.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon May 19, 2014 2:12 pm

I don't find that my daughter needs supplementing, however my husband does practice with her at dinner time so that is some review. It seems the concepts are covered over again in the next book, though if your children can't do the review pages very well that does indicate maybe they need more practice. Are you doing all the of the textbook and workbook problems? Seems like 3A/3B had a lot of problems compared to the others before it.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Mon May 19, 2014 5:21 pm

The only supplementing we have done has been through math games- handheld, board kind, computer, online etc.
We will spend extra time during school if need be. I also have binder with math cheat sheets my children can study at some other time.

My oldest is the only one that has tried other math programs & no matter how they teach it he still had the same problems. So, personally I wouldn't jump into changing programs. Do some extra review games, maybe give a sample or two of another program without totally switching over. Given time you will see if that is what needs to be done.
StephanieU is correct that not everyone is the same, but I would try other methods first before switching so there are no gaps.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 22, 2014 10:18 am

Here is a recent facebook post of mine that I think really pertains to your situation:

One thing that I am reminded of as I visit with many moms at convention is that Singapore math is one of those programs that takes awhile to wrap your head around philosophy-wise. It is a program that is designed with a terrific ebb and flow, yet often as parents we get in the way of this ebb and flow by stepping in and adding more and more practice. It helps to keep in mind that your students are not intended to master every new math concept that you show them. Some concepts are only introduced. Others are practiced more extensively, and still others are meant to be mastered. If, as the parent, we treat every concept like it must be mastered, we can truly frustrate our children. So, resist the urge (when you think your child may not have fully grasped a concept) to jump in and search for more worksheets on the internet or in another source to add to your math lesson. Instead, just partner with your child helping him/her through the lesson to be successful. Then, the next day, move on to the next lesson. Be confident that those tough math concepts will come around again the next year in the next level, and by then your child will be a year older and better equipped to deal with those harder concepts. Age helps so much! Just continue on each day steadily moving through your math lessons and you will experience less frustration in your kiddos and more enjoyment in the design of the program.

Blessings,
Carrie

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:03 pm

Super helpful, Carrie! Thank you. I think that should be printed in the guides for us mamas who get frazzled! That has been my biggest question: whether to move on to the next lesson or stay put and master the concept. We have been moving on and I have been seeing the fruit. Today we hit a snag again with subtraction and I was very flustered with how to help him understand the concept. I am learning to trust the guide, and the workbook and just keep going... :)
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14