So excited - Just got Bigger in the mail!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Samuel'sMommy

So excited - Just got Bigger in the mail!

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Wed May 14, 2014 7:24 pm

We still have a couple weeks of Beyond left - our last day of school isn't till June 6th. But then we have a week of VBS and then 2 weeks of vacations and then we start back mid-July so I wanted to go ahead and get everything ordered and ready before things get crazy. I ordered Bigger with Extensions and am having so much fun looking through the guide and all the books. I'm also excited because for the first time we are going with all HOD except for our math (we've always used Saxon and I'm worried about gaps if we switch now) and adding Spanish which we've done since Kindergarten so we are both used to it. It will be such a huge burden off me to just rely on the HOD guide as written and not worry about adding a ton of extras. I can't wait to start!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

momtofive

Re: So excited - Just got Bigger in the mail!

Post by momtofive » Wed May 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Congratulations!!!! :D

It's so fun to get the next guide isn't it? ;) I'll be doing Bigger Hearts next year with my little 3rd grader. It'll be my third time through it (her first ;)), and we're so excited. Feel free to share how your year is going once you start! ;)

Blessings on your year to come!
Last edited by momtofive on Wed May 14, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

mothermayi?

Post by mothermayi? » Wed May 14, 2014 9:16 pm

That is great! Don't you just love the new book smell?! :D

Did you receive a tracking number? I ordered almost 3 days ago and still no tracking number. I'm hoping it is in the mail :D.
~Began HOD Oct. 28, 2013
DS13 (7th) HOD RTR, MUS, DITHR 6/7/8
DS11 (5th) HOD CTC, Singapore & LOF, DITHR 4/5
DD6.5 (1st) MFW 1, Miquon Math, LOF
DD4.5 (PreK4) MFW K

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu May 15, 2014 12:01 am

We are doing the same thing, taking the month of June off and starting back up in July. I am sure you will love Bigger! My 2nd is going to be starting it in the fall and I am excited to do it again with her.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu May 15, 2014 5:23 am

Us too - we take off for the month of June usually. But this year we are going to go half speed the month of June and July. We will see what happens. This accomplishes 4 weeks of work :-) So my younger 2 kids will start their guides in June and then my oldest will start her guide in August. She is doing CTC so she may go half speed in August also just to get her used to the workload.

And my middle child is doing Bigger too! So EXCITED!!!! My youngest is going to Little and oldest to CTC. All books are on the shelf and ready to go!
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Thu May 15, 2014 3:39 pm

Yay! So excited to see that so many of us will be starting Bigger in July!
Stephanie
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption

mothermayi?

Post by mothermayi? » Thu May 15, 2014 4:22 pm

Samuel'sMommy wrote:Yay! So excited to see that so many of us will be starting Bigger in July!
How long before you received your tracking number and/or package?
~Began HOD Oct. 28, 2013
DS13 (7th) HOD RTR, MUS, DITHR 6/7/8
DS11 (5th) HOD CTC, Singapore & LOF, DITHR 4/5
DD6.5 (1st) MFW 1, Miquon Math, LOF
DD4.5 (PreK4) MFW K

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Thu May 15, 2014 7:00 pm

mothermayi? wrote:
Samuel'sMommy wrote:Yay! So excited to see that so many of us will be starting Bigger in July!
How long before you received your tracking number and/or package?
Sorry I forgot to respond earlier. I ordered on May 6th, got a tracking number the next day, and the package was delivered on May 12. So yours should be coming any time. It may depend on what you ordered and where you live. I have always had fast shipping from HOD. It's one of the reasons I love them so much!
Stephanie

Gyminey

Post by Gyminey » Thu May 15, 2014 8:17 pm

Just curious, what have you used for Spanish? We'd like to start a language while our kids are young but I have no idea what to use.
Amanda
"I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth."
Have used LHTH - Rev to Rev

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Fri May 16, 2014 8:09 am

Gyminey wrote:Just curious, what have you used for Spanish? We'd like to start a language while our kids are young but I have no idea what to use.
We've used a mix of things. I took Spanish in high school and in college so know a little bit of it. We started with some workbooks I found at our school supply store here in town. I think they are called Teach Them Spanish. They go from K through 5th grade I think. They introduced basic vocabulary like colors, numbers, clothing, etc. I don't know if they would have worked without some knowledge of Spanish but they were good for us. We just did a page per day, made flash cards of any new vocabulary, and then reviewed our flashcards periodically. We also used Song School Spanish at one point and it was OK. My son liked it but it wasn't my favorite. He also just enjoys getting books from the library with Spanish words and watching some of his favorite movies and TV shows in Spanish. If they are on DVD you can choose that option in the menu. Since they are shows he is familiar with he can usually follow what is going on and pick up a few words and phrases. At this point he has a lot of vocabulary knowledge but not much in the way of conversational skills so we got Rosetta Stone to try this year. We'll see how it goes. My husband has been wanting to learn also and I need to brush up on my skills to stay ahead of my son so I'm hoping that this will help all of us. I also looked into La Clase Divertida and really liked it but I think he already knows a lot of what it in that.
Stephanie