WG - how do you track narrations, teacher involved lessons?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tabitha

WG - how do you track narrations, teacher involved lessons?

Post by Tabitha » Wed May 14, 2014 4:50 pm

I am trying to figure out the best way to track everything I need to do in the World Geo guide. Right now I printed out an undated calendar, and I wrote in all the subjects for each day that require my participation. I have 5 units written out so far. It is nice to see it written out this way looking at several weeks at once. I thought about doing a weekly sheet, and will turn to that if I need more space to write. I am just using forms from Donna Young's website for the time being. I could not find a decent planner in the store.

I have also considered buying a second guide manual and highlighting in all the teacher participation portions. I worry if I highlight them in the manual my dd uses that it will bug her. Sitting here thinking about it, maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing. It would alert her to things I need to do verses having her gloss over that and just moving onto the next lesson, which she is inclined to do. She is the "I'll come back later and do that" mentality, and all it does is make it easy to get behind. I am trying to get her to wait for the subjects with a "T" or "S" and do them when I am available for her (not including math in this as that is done online).

Anyway, I have one child in Bigger whom I do everything with and another in CTC that needs me for some work. I am just trying to make sure I get everything in the WG set before me so nothing is overlooked as I juggle myself between all three of them.

Any tips are appreciated! I am sure as we get further into the guide we will find our pace and things will sail more smoothly. We have family of special diets here and frequent dr appointments. My middle dd also has a sleep disorder. Trying to stay on top of it all can be a bit crazy at times, and any way I can make things better/easier on myself is always a plus.

ETA:
I was talking things over with dh tonight about trying to make sure nothing is overlooked. I think I am going to make myself a big spreadsheet where I can see big chunks of assignments at a time, and check them off as they are done. I'll make a second copy which can be used as a grade sheet. Those are my thoughts anyway.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

sahervey

Re: WG - how do you track narrations, teacher involved lesso

Post by sahervey » Thu May 15, 2014 5:42 am

Tabitha, if you email me at sahervey at hotmail, I'll email you my weekly spreadsheet. I have it for Res to Ref and Rev to Rev, but it may help you to get an idea of what you could do. I know that HoD has it all laid out for me in the manual, but I'm a box checker and I like my manuals to be clean. I also am using 3 different guides, so it's helpful to me to see what each child has completed at a glance.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Thu May 15, 2014 6:19 am

Thank you!
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 15, 2014 2:53 pm

We just finished the WG guide, and you have an awesome year ahead of you! :D I just used the introduction's assessments to track. I also had ds use the guide as his student planner, initialing the corner of each box as he completed it. Then, when we met for our midpoint meeting time, I had him begin with his oral narration(s) that were assigned. He knew then to prepare for this. Next, I had him show me the work for each initialed box, we edited/discussed/followed up/corrected whatever needed to be right then. Next, I did my teacher portions - generally dictation (though it dropped out halfway through as he completed Level 8 ), grammar, math, and anything else marked "T" or "S" that needed guidance. He finished out the rest of the plans and left his end of the day work open on the counter for me to correct - I called him back to fix things as needed. This worked well and was easy on me! I use the guide as my 'planner' and so does he. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Thu May 15, 2014 8:48 pm

Thank you, Julie. I am going to try using what you did and have a meeting point. I generally have to keep on top of her as she isn't a self starter. I am anxious to see if this helps her with being more disciplined/accountable.

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Thu May 15, 2014 11:41 pm

Thanks, Julie for sharing how you used the guide for this! ;)

And a big CONGRATULATIONS on finishing the first high school guide!!! :D
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 16, 2014 9:57 am

Thank you!!! :D :D :D It is a wonderful feeling finishing our first year of high school together! We did it!!! :D :D :D Thanks for celebrating with Wyatt and me! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie