Is it enough?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gyminey

Is it enough?

Post by Gyminey » Thu May 08, 2014 2:58 pm

As I am getting ready to order LHFHG, I have been doing lots of searching on blogs and such for anyone using HOD. I love to see it in action and get a taste of how it looks to actually be doing it! What I am finding, though, is that most people seem to add into the program. Can anyone speak to whether or not this curriculum in and of itself is "enough?" I had no intention of continuing shopping around for more "stuff," but now I am getting a little nervous! And I don't just mean for this guide, but for the curriculum as a whole. Do most of you add to the program?
Amanda
"I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth."
Have used LHTH - Rev to Rev

StillJulie

Re: Is it enough?

Post by StillJulie » Thu May 08, 2014 3:12 pm

It is enough.

When I add things that I think we need, we all go crazy. Don't add. It is sufficient.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu May 08, 2014 3:13 pm

I think people who are adding more have kids that are older and those kids probably should have done Beyond. Little hearts is perfect for Kindergarten as is and for First grade especially for a child who don't write much or well. You definitely don't need to add anything :-)

I also think a lot of first time homeschooling moms (AKA me when I first started) feel like we always need to do more. But thankfully, I realized earlier rather than later that volume of workload isn't want makes you smart and that younger kids should play! They learn SO much this way. So Little Hearts is perfectly balanced for this age group. I definitely don't you need anything :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu May 08, 2014 3:16 pm

I never added to Little Hearts for His Glory. Most cases you don't need to. It is perfect for k-2nd grade depending on the child. Mine used it for the last half of K & first half of 1st.
The only thing you could say was "added" was we did more of the Rod & Staff fine motor skills books because my child loved them so much. :D
A few add reading things and such just because their children ask for them or they are combining children in a guide.
We do add some to Beyond simply because my ds has asked me to & is ready for a bit more. My first we didn't add to.
Hope this helps some.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu May 08, 2014 5:07 pm

I think there are only three ways I would ever "add" to a guide. First, if my child is beyond the LA in the guide, I will "add" what is in the next guide. We just finished LHFHG today with my 1st grader. In January, we added the ER books because she was ready. A month or two ago we started copying verses instead of handwriting because she had completed all of that. And then about the same time, we started some grammar similar to what is in Beyond. Again, this was only because my daughter was ready and we were using LHFHG for 1st grade. Second, we sometimes add library books to add to science and history. LHFHG actually has some books listed in the appendix, but I have found it easiest to just use our library's catalog and search by topic. We also have other books in our house that we sometimes use. If I can't find a book or forget to, it isn't an issue. But, it is nice to have extra books on hand when my daughter wants to know more on a subject. Some times we don't even read the books we get because she isn't interested. And finally, there are the areas of interest to you or your child that you add as co-op classes, extra-curriculars, etc. For us, it is choir and AWANA or co-op and AWANA. Of course these many families use regardless of curriculum/schooling. So, I don't think this takes away from what HOD has.

So overall, I think HOD is complete. I love that I can add to it if my daughter wants to learn more. But I love that it isn't so loaded the material that we would be barely treading water. It definitely has all of the basics covered, while not overwhelming young kids.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu May 08, 2014 6:50 pm

I think everyone else hit it right on the head. Also I can tell you having gone through all the guides up to Preparing with my oldest, you do not need to add anything to any of them. They incrementally increase and build on their skills, and yet by Preparing I can see my daughter is in an academically challenging guide. CM philosophy has a slow, gentle approach to learning. This is very different from other approaches. That means, very little book work or writing in K/1st grade. Don't push that until the child is ready. For people who have kids who love writing and they want to let them do more of that, fine. I admit, I added in workbooks for my current Pre-K daughter because it kept her at the table and she was willing to do it. She is advanced and interested in writing and math.

I think they are just filling time, or adding in things their child is interested in doing. I do not think it is really necessary. Also if the LHFHG child is the oldest child, it may just add a nicer schedule to the day with less unstructured play time. But Charlotte Mason would say that children should have lots of time for play and imagination. I think these guides give them that. There is absolutely no need for a child under the age of 10 or 11 to spend 6 hours a day doing book/school work. 1-1.5 hours a day is perfect for the K/1st child.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Thu May 08, 2014 7:12 pm

We have used HOD from LHTH to starting CTC next month and I can say it is very complete. If you use the guide as is, doing everything in the boxes the way it says to do it, it is a very complete program. There are so many skills chucked in the guide, and some of them are almost hidden and not appreciated until you start thinking about it (or read one of Carrie's explanations of why she does a certain thing). If you child is correctly placed you are fine.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu May 08, 2014 10:27 pm

We've never added a thing to HOD. My oldest is ready for high school in the fall, and I feel like my kids are doing great in academics. It's important to our family. :D You're good with it as is!

Now I have to tell you that if I had been homeschooling my oldest in K, I would have wondered the same thing. (We started when he was in 2nd grade. ) But I have no doubts after seeing where the guides are headed!
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Fri May 09, 2014 5:52 am

My youngest (now 9) has used HOD since PreK. She is now in Preparing. It starts very gently but really ramps up by late elementary into the middle school years. We have not added anything academically to HOD. We go to the library once or twice a month and check out many books. I don't really see this as adding since school parents might very well do the same. We have used all of the recommendations (Rod and Staff, Singapore math, Dictation, etc.) and have never strayed from that. In summer I typically do extra spelling work and math facts review. Again, I think school-parents probably do the same.

Each family will tweak and adjust any homeschool program to better fit their child's bent or weakness. But I'm wondering if what you are seeing is adjustments in electives. Some will add Scouts, Foreign Language, Music lessons, extra Science or Art Classes but that isn't really adjusting the curriculum, it's just doing for each child what they enjoy. Not every homeschool SHOULD look the same! That would be boring. :wink:
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

Gyminey

Post by Gyminey » Fri May 09, 2014 9:57 am

This is super helpful! Thank you! A lot of what I am seeing are things such as Apologia science books (and comments that the science is too light), geography studies, and math work (making me wonder if Singapore is sufficient "as is"). Honestly, one of the BIG reasons I chose HOD is because it is done for me already!! I want to just trust that Carrie knows way more than me and will get my kids where they need to be by graduation :) I think I'm going to need to be careful to not look around too much and compare. But as a newbie, I have found it hard to know when to STOP looking.
Amanda
"I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth."
Have used LHTH - Rev to Rev

The2youngs

Post by The2youngs » Fri May 09, 2014 1:07 pm

To ease your mind, Singapore is most definitely NOT too easy or too light! It's actually one of the more advanced programs - typically about a grade ahead of most other programs. We've found it completely sufficient for both my gifted and typical learners. As a math major, I've found this program to be light years ahead in terms of how they teach math. Asian math is certainly a different way to approach concepts but we've been very happy with it. Likewise, many comment that the science is too light but if you spend any time reading Charlotte Mason's philosophies on teaching, you'll find that she was a huge proponent of learning through living books and exposure through play, especially in the early years. There are plenty of years to hit the heavy topics so enjoy your little ones now! Similar statements could be said about geography work.

I agree, though, that there are always programs and extras that look flashy or just draw our eyes and it's hard not to want to just incorporate more and more into our days! We've really enjoyed our time with HOD thus far, though!
Heather
Wife to Brandon for 19 years, Mommy, and Missionary in PNG

In 2023-2024:
DS 16 in US1 with a couple DE classes,
DS 14 in WG,
DD 13 in MTMM,
DD 11 in Res to Ref

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri May 09, 2014 1:53 pm

I've used HOD as is from LHTH through the end of CTC. My kids are all above their grade level and the older two are on the later ends of the guides. Meaning last year (the last time we tested, we haven't tested this year yet) Jayden did preparing for 4th grade and Grace did Beyond for 2nd grade. So if you are doing LHFHG for either K or 1st they will be ahead of the game.

We do go at their pace in math and grammar whether that's slowing down or speeding up, but it is perfect as written.

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Fri May 09, 2014 7:41 pm

I would NOT try to add in the apologia science. A few of the books ARE scheduled in later guides. Just a headsup.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade