Placement question. Reading delayed child

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my12kiddos

Placement question. Reading delayed child

Post by my12kiddos » Thu May 08, 2014 9:24 am

I have a DD who is 13( Hannah) (She has not hit puberity yet). I'm having trouble placing her. My DD who will be 13,Oct 31st placed in Rev2Rev. But Hannah, I'm not sure. Reading is hard. I am having her read a loud to her younger siblings every day. She is reading Charlotte's Web right now. She struggles with reading comprehension. I have always just read stuff aloud for her. I have a feeling she has some dyslexia. She shows some signs and I have younger children with it. We are doing R&S English 4 this summer to get "Caught Up" in grammar. What should I do?

StephanieU

Re: Placement question. Reading delayed child

Post by StephanieU » Thu May 08, 2014 9:55 am

If you ignore the reading issues, where does she place? There are ways to help her with the reading if that is the only struggle. Some moms will do some of the reading. Others find audio versions of the books. Of course the goal is to eventually get them to be able to do all of the reading, you can work towards that part if it is the ONLY thing holding her back from a guide.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Re: Placement question. Reading delayed child

Post by my3sons » Thu May 15, 2014 2:24 pm

HI! :D When looking at the placement chart, could you please share where she seems to fall in regard to the first page of it? For reading, writing, grammar, and math...
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Also, what is she currently doing for school? How much is she used to reading/writing each day? Is she doing all of the subjects or just some and focusing more on reading? Your answers will be so helpful! Thank you in advance!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie