Need advice

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Sloan.sherri

Need advice

Post by Sloan.sherri » Sun May 04, 2014 8:59 pm

I have a speech delayed 5 year old and also a 7 and 9 year old. Placement looks like I need to use 3 seperate manuals.
Is this doable?

Sherri

StephanieU

Re: Need advice

Post by StephanieU » Sun May 04, 2014 9:58 pm

Three guides is doable. Where do the each place?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sun May 04, 2014 10:08 pm

3 guides is definitely do-able, and in fact can sometimes be easier than combining if your children are varied in their skill level, attention span, and interests. There are good ways to approach it though, for example if you were going to start 3 new guides we would suggest not starting them all full-speed at once. Stagger start, give one child 3 weeks (maybe the oldest as they will probably have some independent work to take over, but at first you may need to be able to sit down with them and do some to get them started) and then start the next one for 3 weeks before you start the last one. Create a schedule to your day, whether that just ends up being a routine that tells you what order you do things in, or a schedule with times so you keep on track. With the schedule, if you have a longer block (say at least 30 minutes at a time) with one child that will give you some flex to catch up if one subject goes long, generally other subjects end up shorter. Plan the younger children's day very carefully so they are well cared for, they get some of your attention during the morning or school time (unless you choose to do some while they are napping), and so they have varied activities to do while you are schooling the others (not sure if you have anyone younger than your 5YO, if not this may not apply as much though that one will need things to do while you are working with the other 2).

Let us know their placement if you want to discuss it, or any other questions you may have.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Sloan.sherri

Post by Sloan.sherri » Mon May 05, 2014 7:40 am

They placed in lhth , blh and for my just turned 9 yr old I'm not sure where to place her. She's had a little introduction to cursive and knows a little about grammar and her reading level advanced.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon May 05, 2014 7:57 am

How is the 9yo at writing? Can she copy things? Is she ready to write some "summaries" of readings? If so, she would be ready for Preparing. You can see the first week on the Preparing page The key things are those related to history, Bible, and science (if you will be using HOD science). You can customize the math and language arts if necessary without any real issues.
Mom to

Sloan.sherri

Post by Sloan.sherri » Mon May 05, 2014 8:08 am

Yes, she can copy, but is not experienced in writing summaries, ect.
How many hours a day typically do you think 3 manuals would take?

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon May 05, 2014 8:17 am

LHTH is 30 minutes. Beyond is 1.5-2 hours, most of it with you there (although some of the copying, etc can be done without you being 100% attending to that child). Preparing takes about 4 hours, but not all of that you have to be there for. Here is a post with the times per boxes for the guides:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2093&p=74537&hilit= ... ond#p74537
You can also find a few schedules in the Let's Share Our Schedules of families using both Beyond and Preparing together. I say a few that had a relaxed day that started at 8am and were completely done by 2pm (that was with two in Preparing I think, so it would be the same or less than you are doing).
Mom to

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon May 05, 2014 8:29 am

If reading level is the only place she is "advanced" you wouldn't place her just based on that. Some of the specific differences between Bigger and Preparing:

Bigger is all copywork and drawing, Preparing has them writing narrations of readings they have done (though there is a slow ramp-up of this skill).
Preparing assumes mastery of cursive, Bigger is the year they learn and practice cursive and none of the copywork in Bigger is supposed to be done in cursive. Cursive could be caught up if your child liked it and wanted to work at it.
Bigger is about 2.5-3 hours of work each day, Preparing is 3.5-4 (quite honestly usually 4 for my 9YO).
Bigger is all work you would do with the child or at least be present and available if they need you. Preparing starts independent work, the child should be responsible for their own work, reading the directions and completing it, you should just be available for them to tell you a narration, or to check over the work when they are done. Now, you can work into this skill and the guides always take longer when you first start as you and child get used to what needs to be done each day.
Preparing includes research and higher level thinking about what they are learning. We have really had great discussions.
Bigger hearts Bible is a study of Proverbs and character traits, the memory selections are longer (plus you have 5 days to memorize a verse whereas Preparing is 4 days and the Bible memory selections are quite a bit longer along with what they are expected to do and get from the Bible study).

Also if this is your first year in HOD or your first year in CM style learning you may want to place her lower just to give you and her some flex in adjusting to the new style. Now she is right in the middle of the age range for Preparing so if you think she fits there in most areas, that's where I would go. Again, Cursive is somewhere you can always catch up. Let us know your thoughts on this.

As far as how long does each of those take, I am doing Preparing, Beyond Little Hearts, and LHTH right now. I would say my total time teaching is about 3 1/2-4 hours. My Beyond and LHTH are done by 11:30 each day (we start around 9). My Preparing daughter, I start with her so she can get a few of her Teacher directed things out of the way, spend about 30-45 minutes with her, then she goes off to do some independent work (typically math, independent history, history project) while I do Beyond and LHTH with the younger two. So this is multitasking time as long as the Preparing child stays on task (this does require training). Then I fix lunch while checking in on the Preparing child and listening to narration, checking math, or whatever is needed to finish up the things she has done on her own. Then we have lunch and usually my Preparing child has an hour or so of work to do after lunch to finish up. We have been doing her grammar orally which makes it take a lot less time. Do you know if your 9 YO would be ready for R&S 2 or R&S 3?

Even though Bigger Hearts isn't supposed to have independent work for the child, you often can have them finishing math, copywork, grammar, cursive on their own and then check it at the end. I think the difference is that in Bigger you are still the one directing the task. You read the instructions, talk to the child about what they need to do, help them find/get their supplies and get started. Often they can then go on their own but you are there to make sure it is being done right. In Preparing they are starting to become more responsible for their own work. Also in Bigger once you are a ways into it the child will often know what they are supposed to do.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Mon May 05, 2014 11:09 am

I'm assuming that you are saying they are placing in Little Hearts and Beyond Little Hearts and not sure about the 9 yo?

It would be good to hear about them a little more. Possibly you could combine two of them. Either the 7 and 9 in Bigger or the 5 and 7 in Little Hearts? If you tell us a little more it might help. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon May 05, 2014 11:18 am

Gwenny wrote:I'm assuming that you are saying they are placing in Little Hearts and Beyond Little Hearts and not sure about the 9 yo?

It would be good to hear about them a little more. Possibly you could combine two of them. Either the 7 and 9 in Bigger or the 5 and 7 in Little Hearts? If you tell us a little more it might help. :)
She was going ot put the 5yo in LHTH because of delays (which I think is a great idea). Then put the 7yo in Beyond, which sounds like a good fit for most 7 yo. It is the 9yo that is uncertain between Bigger and Preparing...
Mom to

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Mon May 05, 2014 11:45 am

Here is my advice based on what has been written. I think a lot has been left unsaid in this thread about where they place and individual life circumstances. Have you printed off the placement chart or taken one of your catalogs and took a different colored pen for each child and seen where they place individually? I would do this first. I wouldn't just mark in the column where I think they fit but mark it up good. Like the 7 year old mark each guide that they fit in the age range and do the same for the 9 year old. If I had a 4 year old with delays, I would lean towards trying to combine the 7 and 9 year old in Bigger if possible which would leave room to drop the 7 back to Beyond after this year and move the 9 year old up to Preparing. There would be wiggle room in the future if you started with Bigger this year combined. The 4 year old would get a lot of my focus and I would not want to start with 3 guides with a child with delays. I would want to really focus on getting them a good start and not overwhelm myself. I do have a child that struggles in school and we only just moved to doing 4 guides between the kids. If I would have started off with them each in their own guide, I would have burned out a long time ago. A child with delays or struggles can really take up a lot of your time and energy. Having your other 2 combined might be the best answer for the first year at least.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue May 06, 2014 9:49 am

If I were in your shoes I would put the 9yo in Bigger, the 7yo in LHFHG and do lhth 2-3 days per week with the little one. I would add in the preschool R&S workbooks (the K level from HOD if that looks doable or the younger ones if not.