CtC for 2

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

CtC for 2

Post by Gwenny » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:57 pm

I order a second guide and a second set of the consumables for CtC. I will have one daughter in unit 16 and one just starting. I was just thinking about logistics. Do you all think I should get any extra books? Will sharing be hard for some of the books? Experience? I'm into ease of use and convenience over saving some money right now. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Gwenny

Re: CtC for 2

Post by Gwenny » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:00 pm

Just thought of this--she will be in unit 20ish when my next daughter starts.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:41 pm

You are going to be very close to your older child being finished with the books that they use in the beginning of CTC. The Genesis book and Geography books are things they will both be using the whole year but those are books you are teaching so I wouldn't think you would need or want extras. You would probably want them to each have their own grammar book possibly. You many also want them to each have their own CDs to listen to for when they are ready to listen them. Also, they may each want their own draw and write through history books. But two guides would be perfect as well for them.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

mothermayi?

Post by mothermayi? » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:12 am

I have 2 in CTC and they just do different assignments at different times, rather than me purchasing double of everything. For instance, one might do bible quiet time while the other does reading about history. They continue to alternate and it has worked well. The only thing I wish I had two copies of is the R&S student book.
~Began HOD Oct. 28, 2013
DS13 (7th) HOD RTR, MUS, DITHR 6/7/8
DS11 (5th) HOD CTC, Singapore & LOF, DITHR 4/5
DD6.5 (1st) MFW 1, Miquon Math, LOF
DD4.5 (PreK4) MFW K

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:55 am

My dc are finishing up CTC and we have needed double or nothing but the notebooking pages. They share the manual. I will say my dc get along very well, so maybe that is why it works. :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:42 am

I agree with the previous posters. Don't buy two of anything. I tell my sharers that if they want what the other has, they have to wait patiently or begin something else. It causes arguments sometimes, but it's such a petty thing to argue about that it doesn't matter to me. I just tell them that they don't always get what they want and the workplace/college will be no different.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:05 am

Great! Sounds good. :) Mine definitely won't argue, we are just so pressed for time I don't want any excuses-or any "she was using it when I needed it and then I forgot". :) I'll think they will be far enough apart in units that books won't be an issue. I got a second guide and I know that's the key. One does her work downstairs in my room at a desk and the other in her room upstairs. That works well, I don't want to change that.
Nancy
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 02, 2014 10:21 am

Definitely having 2 guides is so worth it, as well as Jashub's Journal, WWTB, and CTC Notebooking pages - also an extra pupil text for grammar if they'll be doing it at the same time would be nice. The only other things I'd want doubles of would be the Bible Quiet Time resources (DK Bible and Phil. CD), but that is because I have all our dc (in CTC on up) do their HOD Bible Quiet Time first thing in their bedrooms in the morning, and they are in separate bedrooms. I just have that personal goal of creating a habit of a Bible Quiet Time for them first thing in the morning. I'd also probably get another What in the World CD for this same reason - they often do it in their bedrooms in the morning. But those are just personal reasons and may not necessarily be reasons for you to get those things! HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Fri May 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Good idea for them doing the bible quiet time in room in the morning. I was just going to have her use her Bible, should I get the DK one?
As far as the memory CD and the what in the world, we just put them on iPods. :). That way they can both have a copy.
Nancy
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 02, 2014 4:40 pm

Oh! Good idea to use the IPods! :D Both of our sons did love the DK Bible. The pictures and historical information and artifacts were fascinating! They helped them picture the time period better.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Tbasil

Post by Tbasil » Tue May 27, 2014 7:25 pm

Gwenny wrote:I order a second guide and a second set of the consumables for CtC. I will have one daughter in unit 16 and one just starting. I was just thinking about logistics. Do you all think I should get any extra books? Will sharing be hard for some of the books? Experience? I'm into ease of use and convenience over saving some money right now. :)
Exploring and praying about using CTC (after MFW ECC this year), so am still figuring out things with HOD!

Can someone tell me what the consumables (mentioned above) would be, specifically? (Besides math, I'm guessing…..)

THANK YOU!
Tricia Basil

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Tbasil wrote:
Gwenny wrote:I order a second guide and a second set of the consumables for CtC. I will have one daughter in unit 16 and one just starting. I was just thinking about logistics. Do you all think I should get any extra books? Will sharing be hard for some of the books? Experience? I'm into ease of use and convenience over saving some money right now. :)
Exploring and praying about using CTC (after MFW ECC this year), so am still figuring out things with HOD!

Can someone tell me what the consumables (mentioned above) would be, specifically? (Besides math, I'm guessing…..)

THANK YOU!
Tricia Basil
Hi Tricia! We have gone through CTC twice now, last year and then many years back, and we loved it both times! :D The consumables are...
CTC Notebooking pages
Jashub's Journal
Drawn into the Heart of Reading (one workbook needed for each student)
Write with the Best Volume 1
Math Workbooks

HTH! You can check out my posts on the HOD weekly check-in about our time spent in CTC. I tried to take pictures and share our journey each week. I think you'd love it as much as we did! Just be sure to check out the placement chart and make certain that is the proper placement skill wise for your child. :wink: Placement is important with HOD, as the skills are taught are so important an incrementally taught from year to year. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie