placement help: Preparing or Bigger?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
logansfrog

placement help: Preparing or Bigger?

Post by logansfrog » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:34 am

Hi, I'm struggling to place my youngest in the right program, and I was hoping for some help. :-)
I have used HOD in the past, and moved onto other programs with my older children, but we plan to return to HOD this fall. I honestly don't know why we ever left, because there's so much that I love about these programs! Regardless, here's my situation: My daughter, who turned 8 this week and will be in 3rd grade this fall, places pretty firmly in Preparing. I used Preparing a few years ago with one of my boys for 4th grade, and he was on the older end of the guide age range, and we had a great year. He learned so much, especially his writing skills just blossomed that year. But I'm hesitating with my daughter because I don't want her to miss out, by covering the material too soon and not having the maturity to really appreciate it and absorb it all. I'm also worried that the jump to CTC would be too large next year, so that I might be better off placing her in Bigger. But then I think that if she places in Preparing, wouldn't it be boring for her to be in a lower guide? I don't want to push her, but I want her challenged, too. But of course, not so challenged that she gets overly frustrated.
As for details--she's a very fluent reader, she's already started cursive writing, she loves science, and she's already done most of R&S 2nd grade grammar. The biggest area where she would be at a deficit is in writing--I remember how much writing my son did in Preparing (the written narrations), and I'm wondering if that's too much for her to do.
So, I'm really struggling to find what might work best. I know how important placement is to success with HOD, and I'm just not sure where to put her. Do I go with Preparing, and not worry about how she'd handle CTC the next year? (sufficient unto the day...) Or should I put her in Bigger, and let her have a somewhat relaxed year?
Thanks so much for reading this--I really appreciate any help that can be offered.
Karen

lucsch

Re: placement help: Preparing or Bigger?

Post by lucsch » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:02 am

I used Bigger with extensions for my 3rd/4th grader. It was perfect for her. There is not much original writing required, but there was plenty of meaty work and learning. Just the introduction to notebooking, with the drawing, formal science sheets, and copywork, was quite the learning experience. I don't think you will regret it. My daughter has gotten so much from Preparing in 5th grade. We just finished it and started CTC. I agree with you that, although the guides can work at a younger age, there is so much more that can be accomplished at the higher end.
Lucinda
Wife to Gary for 31 years
Mom to ds26, ds21, ds19, and dd11
Grandma 4yo, 1yo, newborn
dd11: CTC
Finished BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing & DITHOR 3x

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:52 am

I would think, with what you've shared, that either Bigger full speed, OR Preparing and start out half speed until you find out if she can do the writing for each day. I think I'd personally do Bigger, but if she fits solidly in Preparing...

logansfrog

Post by logansfrog » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:59 am

thank you for the help, ladies. I think I'm leaning toward using Bigger, mostly because I would rather she be a bit older as she goes through the guides. I think she'll get more out of them that way.

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:55 am

I agree with you using Bigger. I like having mine on the older end of the guides. I think it's great when not everything is new and a struggle. You will enjoy Bigger. I'm getting ready to start it for the second time in June.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 02, 2014 9:30 am

Well, both of those guides are awesome! :D So, in deciding which to use, it is a good idea to look ahead somewhat, especially if you are between guides in placement. Here are a few threads that may help...

Amount of writing in Bigger vs. PHFHG:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3602

And looking ahead...
Comparing PHFHG to CTC in Skills:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12582&p=90658#p90658

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

logansfrog

Post by logansfrog » Mon May 05, 2014 5:18 pm

Thank you, Julie! You've given me more to think about!

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon May 05, 2014 6:33 pm

I also second Bigger as well. You could probably move to having your child do some of the reading for science and or history independently or add in the extensions if she loves to read. I am doing Preparing with my oldest as a 4th grader and the volume of writing at the end has increased quite a bit toward the end with the copywork. Bigger is a great step in getting them to write more things down but not overwhelm them. My son will be doing Bigger next year at 8 and I think it is a perfect fit for him. My son can read pretty well (he only reads the minimum required but he reads it quickly and well) so I am considering having him take on a little bit of the reading by about half way through the guide. I definitely think he will enjoy reading The Wright Brothers and Their Sister and Thomas Alva Edison. Both of those look like excellent books for him to read alone. And he may want to read some of the extension pack books. But he may not - I actually purchased the extension pack books because I plan to read those at night before bedtime. My kids LOVE being read to at night. I usually try to pick series of something very adventuresome or historical. This time I am welcoming something picked out for me rather than me choosing. But for me - I love how Bigger is structured to help with leading them to be more independent. This was actually my first year with HOD and I picked Preparing for my oldest who is in 4th grade. Look at how much she has learned, she definitely had a bit of a learning curve with the independence but she could write a ton already this year and could read decently. So it was a good fit. But I am really liking Preparing for my kids as they go into 4th grade. Some of the things we have read I think are very suited to the maturity of a 4th grader. Even for my youngest, she is gifted and very advanced and I won't let her complete Preparing until she is in 4th grade as well.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM