experiments & notebooking-Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

experiments & notebooking-Bigger

Post by Gwenny » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:20 pm

I did Bigger a couple of years ago. We used a sketchpad for the notebooking and science experiments. I'm not sure I want to do it this way again. What do you all use for these things?
There is an experiment sheet to copy in the back of Preparing. That seems like it would be well suited to Bigger. Less writing for the younger ones. I wonder if Carrie didn't think of it when she wrote Bigger?

Just looking for ideas of what worked and didn't work in Bigger as I plan what I want to use for what subjects. My guy is a slow writer and still writes pretty big. Doing 4-6 lines of the poem in Beyond is plenty of writing for him in a day. I do need to say that it is quite an improvement from the beginning of the guide when 1 good sentence was a huge feat. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

MomtoJGJE

Re: experiments & notebooking-Bigger

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:35 am

We use the science experiment pages from other guides :) As far as notebooking we just use copy paper that I 3-hole punch to go in the binder.

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:24 am

We used a notebook with blank pages the first time around. I think I will use the science pages from Preparing the next time. I like how the space is delineated to make it a little easier I think for them to make the science page look neat. And lines to write on.

My oldest was not a great hand-writer when we started Bigger. I helped her a lot, by writing things for her, but as we got midway into the guide I figured she needed to start doing it on her own or she wouldn't be ready for the next guide when we got there.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:14 am

We used copy paper & a binder for the Notebooking pages. For the experiments I used the Preparing lab sheet as an example- then made my own. That way we wouldn't get tired of the same sheet over 2 years. Having a sheet made up like that does make it easier. Although if they need to learn to do it own their own then I suppose that defeats the purpose. ?
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:52 pm

This is my third time around using Bigger. We are using the lab sheets from Preparing as well. This is the first time that I am using the PDF files on the HOD yahoo group where gals have come up with some lovely history and science sheets. We don't use all of them, but we do use quite a bit. While it saves time, when I compare all my girls notebooks side by side I miss the 'homemade' feel that the first two have. But, with homeschooling three now when the first time in Bigger I had just one or two...time savers are appreciated.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:20 am

When we did Bigger, we, too used the files that someone had created for History and Science. If you email me at sahervey at hotmail, I'll be happy to forward those on to you.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger