Beyond and English/Grammar

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
klynn

Beyond and English/Grammar

Post by klynn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:38 pm

My first grader is in LHFHG this year and I'm looking at Beyond for him for next year. I don't see where English instruction is included in Beyond? I know Bigger includes Rod and Staff 2. I'm thinking about starting him in Rod and Staff 1 in the fall. (or Shurley because that's what I used for my older child and I already own the curriculum) Has anyone else included R&S for a second grader in Beyond?

agstefko

Re: Beyond and English/Grammar

Post by agstefko » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:43 pm

The grammar portion is written into the Beyond manual. It's one day a week on day five. Some do use R&S 2 along with it, but it's not a must :)
Amy married 12 great years to Tony and mom to
Noah 10, Kayla 8 BHFHG, Brie TRL, SM, Tony Jr 3, Nicholas 9 months

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:06 pm

Rod and Staff doesn't have a 1st grade grammar/English program. The first year of grammar is level 2, which is why HOD starts with that in Bigger.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

klynn

Post by klynn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:12 pm

Thanks Amy, I didn't see that on day 5.

Stephanie, thanks for pointing that out about R&S! I just assumed there would be a 1, so guess that's not an option :)

Kendra

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:34 am

If you get started on Beyond and your child needs more grammar you could always do the day 5 grammar several times a week. It would mean working ahead in the guide for that box.
I am doing Beyond for the second time- one child the guide was enough, one we've had to add the grammar in daily. I like to keep one day a week for review and "fun" with grammar.
Every child will be different. Just an idea if they need more without having to add a full subject along with it.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:50 am

We recently did like the PP.... My first two kids didn't need more grammar than what was written, but my third did. So we did the day 5 grammar every day that we did school. Basically from where we were in the guide when we started this it took about 5-6 weeks to finish out the grammar, then I started with R&S2. Honestly, it feels like R&S2 is review of the stuff from the Beyond guide, so I probably could have started her in that instead of finishing out the guide.... but I think that is where every child will be different.