New to HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kidsforHim

New to HOD

Post by kidsforHim » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:55 pm

I have enjoyed reading the posts for several months, just trying to get a 'feel' for HOD. I've felt drawn to it for quite some time but have been apprehensive that I, myself, could handle it and that if it would be a good fit for my children. I tire easily, so the constant interaction with each child at his/her own level in the areas required is totally overwhelming to me. Read alouds I just don't do as it wears me out. I have tried it for a time but had to stop. The children are very good readers however and so don't mind reading the books. I admire all you moms/dads who can do it!

At the beginning of this school year I actually tried Bigger for my 9 yr old DS and 7yr DD. The 7yr DD was enjoying it but the writing was getting too much. 9yr DS could handle the reading and did well with the writing but just was getting bogged down with the whole thing and didn't 'feel like he was doing science' his words! I'm really wondering if it just wasn't his learning style.? I also tried separating the two and that did seem to help but we ended up quiting it altogether. I was working it by having him do it mostly independent for reasons I've already mentioned-my own physical problems. Was hoping it would work to be done independently, with me overseeing and helping as needed. Was I wrong in that? We were just doing the history and science parts. I try to get as many subjects as I can that can be worked independent as soon as possible. Again all that constant interaction just wears me out. Should we look else where? Was really considering Beyond for 7 yr DD for the next year when she will be 8 as she really places best there. Was thinking just the left side and possibly the spelling. She is doing CLE for math and learning to read/language arts, ACE science(not what I'd really like but it makes it doable for me.SHE liked the science in bigger)

Another question is could a 9th grader who has never used HOD go into the WG guide? He is currently doing the 5th year of my MFW and doing very well. They have had to do written narrations, write from an outline, and loves to read. We would do just the left side.

Thanks for any ideas or help. I hope I didn't make it confusing. I love the HOD way but not sure it's for us. Again, any thoughts is much appreciated.

MelInKansas

Re: New to HOD

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:27 pm

I think the interaction with the kids is really a key part of what HOD is designed for. I did push my DD into more independence in Bigger Hearts, but it did not pay off because she got lazy, and sloppy with some things, and trying to get back on track was a struggle. Maybe you are better at checking over things and asking for excellence than I was.

Beyond is a great program and definitely sounds like where your 7YO needs to be. My question is, why not start her in it now? I think if you wait until she is 8 to start it it will be way too easy for her by the time she is finishing it. There really is a big difference between those levels. My DD did Bigger Hearts when she was 8 turning 9 and it was too much writing for her that year, we slowed it down for her so she could grow into it a little bit.

If your 9th grader is ready for it (there is a placement chart for WG also) then they should be able to work into the WG guide. All of the guides have more interaction from the parent at the beginning and I would think this would happen with WG as you started, you would need to spend more time with that child working through what is needed and expected for each activity. This may take 2-3 weeks to work through. It's really a good idea not to start more than one new guide at a time, or to stagger start them.

Is there a way to have your husband do some of the read-alouds, or maybe to have your oldest do some with the younger ones?
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 pm

I find that HOD is an excellent fit for us and I don't have all day for school. I work from home and work a lot. So I try to get school finished in about 4 hours a day. I will say, I notice that you use other resources for LA and Math. If you are switching to HOD, one of the wonderful things about HOD is that it is all laid out and very balanced. I know for myself, I have switched my kids over to pretty much everything except spelling (I have a dyslexic child and need a different spelling). But other than that, I find it very doable as long as I use what they say. Next year I will hopefully be doing Little, Bigger and CTC. I am hoping to still get my day finished in 4-5 hours. I am working on my schedule now actually.

As for you 9th grader, as long as he places that skill wise in the WG guide, he should be fine. But you would have to assess that yourself and see whether or not he can meet the requirements.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

kidsforHim

Post by kidsforHim » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:53 pm

If my husband were to do the storytime, then how do you do the storytime box? I can't see him getting out the guide and working through that box. Reading, possibly, but not talking through what is to be taught from that box. Having him read was a good idea, but I'm not sure it would get done. He works 9hrs a day, gets home at 6 or later.

As for starting beyond now, well, I'm really counting the weeks til school is DONE! Plan to finish the end of May. I'm really feeling the need for the break. She had a rough start with school, math especially, so we've taken 2yrs to do first grade. Next year she would be considered a 2nd grader. I was thinking beyond could be used for a second grader.

I had considered also using the recommended math etc. and just going with all HOD but cle clicked in her brain so feel it best to stick with what is working.

I see the beauty of all the interaction that happens using HOD, always thinking how nice it would be to do it. I have tried, honestly, to 'do school that way' but I've always burned out before Christmas. Was hoping there might be a way to make HOD work. I've been praying for direction in this and I believe I'm willing to let it go. I have 2 boys doing MFW & they have done very well on their own. My children seem to like being independent in their school work. As long as they have a schedule and they know what to do next, they get it done, well...most of the time.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:58 pm

It sounds to me like you are at an impass here. HOD is set up for the students to do alone as they get older but not so much as they are younger. For your older child, the WG would be great. That is very much written to the child and can be done independently. You do meet with them once day to make sure they are on target, look over their work, help them with any questions they have. That guide is very independent. I would say that the guide CTC and up are very independent.

The younger guides definitely do require more parental interaction. For me, we are okay with that. There 2 different elements to the read alouds. One is that children are gaining a large vocabulary. Whether your husband uses the guide or not for that purpose, your kids would get a stronger vocabulary and understand how to write better just by listening to books being read out loud to them. HOD also adds in the study of the literature. That is what they would miss if your husband did not want to follow the guide.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM