What do you do when you get behind in your daily schedule?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gods servant

What do you do when you get behind in your daily schedule?

Post by Gods servant » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:21 am

I've been spending hours pouring over the different schedules on the schedule thread and finally put something together similar to Carrie and Julie's schedules. In the past I have tried to do things like this, but then would get "off" by 15 mins., or so and then scurrying to know what to do now. Eventually, I would get so "behind" that I'd have to give up. So, I'm asking the question here before we start this again, to see if there are any answers. Worded a different way, what if my schedule is this?

10:30 Read about Hist. & rotating box
11:00 Dictation (Preparing)
11:05 Poetry, Grammar (Preparing)
11:20 Spelling or Grammar (Beyond)
11:35 Math
12:00 Writing
12:30 Dictation and Grammar (RTR)
12:55 Spelling (other Beyond child)
1:05 Lunch

What if our Hist. discussion time is great and it goes a bit later. Then I've missed dictation. I'm 5 mins. behind - Dictation at 11:05 now? Say my little one needs some redirected during Dictation, so it takes me 10 mins. Now it is 11:15 and I'm starting Poetry and Grammar. Sometimes my kids will have extra "brainstorming" on Poetry Titles and then my son does not understand the Grammar lesson, so I have to slow way down and try to teach it a different way. Let's say it takes 25 mins. for these two subjects this day. So now I'm starting Spelling/Grammar at 11:40. At this point, I'm really messed up. Do I just skip the Spelling/Grammar slot and do it later in the afternoon sometime? Do I try to "cram" everything into less time? Do I try to keep going as is and then break for Lunch at 1:25 p.m.? Those of you that are successful using a schedule like this, can you please tell me what you do? Thanks.
20 dd (Homeschool Graduate at San Diego Christian College Psych.)
17 ds (Jr. in high school)
14 dd (MTMM)
12 ds (RTR)
8 dd (MFW Adv in US History)
Married for 24 years to wonderful dh
Used: LHTH, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, WG

Nealewill

Re: What do you do when you get behind in your daily schedul

Post by Nealewill » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:43 pm

Basically if I get behind I assess my schedule and see why I got behind. Sometimes I have to shift things and push things out to get done on a weekend day. Other times, I just keep lunch at a specific time and we break at that time and pick up where we left off after lunch. I try to actually build slack into my schedule. I work from home so sometimes I do have to abandon the schedule all together .... AACCKKKKKK ... but we survive. I don't add anything in with HOD so I find my kids just get more breaks earlier rather than later. And if we have to do school when dad comes home, oh well. My husband will help if I need him to help also but we haven't needed it lately. The one thing thought I do prefer my husband to do is the Bible box. So my husband does my oldest bible box with her and it is hit or miss lately with the youngers if he does it. But if we get behind, I will do my best to stay calm and keep working.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:24 pm

I know that cramming things in does not work for us because it causes so much stress on everyone. Don't know how your kids respond to rushing, but for us, it does not work.

So, after several years of struggling with this, I finally settled in to a loose time schedule. I leave extra time and after about six weeks in to the guide, I reevaluate. If we are regularly going over or finishing early in one area, then I need to make adjustments to our schedule. I wait about six weeks before evaluating because in the beginning of a guide EVERYTHING takes us longer. I try to keep everything in the order planned and in the time, but some days, we just get really interesting discussions. OH, and LUNCH is always the same time because hungry kids make grumpy kids in my house. :D

Nealewill wrote:But if we get behind, I will do my best to stay calm and keep working.
Great advice!! :D Truly wish someone had given that to me when I started this homeschooling journey...especially the calm part.
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

quiverfull

Post by quiverfull » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:51 pm

4Hispraise wrote:I know that cramming things in does not work for us because it causes so much stress on everyone. Don't know how your kids respond to rushing, but for us, it does not work.

I heartily agree! :D I just spent 2 days working out a new schedule (it looks wonderful on paper :wink: ) It is hard for me to make it all work with so many children still at home, schooling. The only place I can do it successfully is on paper :wink: I usually do not get everything done that I planned and sometimes get discouraged, but then I remind myself (multiple times, every-single-day) to just keep moving forward. Even if things don't go as planned, they always go better if I have a plan. Sometimes I feel like Dori in "Finding Nemo." "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming." :D Hang in there! You are not alone.
Last edited by quiverfull on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Married for 30 years….Mom to 9~
Five graduated, four still in school. 28, 26, 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 12, 10

Used/Using
WH
WG
MTMM
Rev2Rev
CtC
Preparing
LHFHG

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:53 pm

It seems like we get "behind" almost every day. One thing I do now is I have longer blocks to work with a specific child. For good or bad, my Preparing child has almost all of her T and S boxes that she needs help with in one block first thing in the day. Very short and unrelated things like dictation I squeeze in whenever, right before or after lunch or something, but in general it is one long block with each child. Now, that won't always solve it if you do get delayed with someone, or have a discipline issue, or another child needing some interaction unexpectedly or whatever. You just can't always plan for those types of things. When I had a by-the-minute schedule I had at least 10-15 minutes of flex time through each 3-4 hours or so. There was a break and if for some reason we over-ran our time on something that would just eat up the break. Another thing I had to do at one point was motivate my oldest for her independent time was give her a reward she really wanted if she got it done quickly AND well. She would get 15 minutes of computer time while she was waiting on me to finish with her sister if she got done first. Or she would love free reading time too, because she doesn't get that until school is done usually.

My philosophy was to go ahead and break for lunch when it was scheduled and then try to make up for whatever might have gotten missed after lunch. Again eating into free time or time for other things that the child may have/need if possible.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:25 am

I make a schedule (and would be lost without it), but I don't schedule in times for that very reason. I have side-by-side blocks listing what each child is doing in each block. If my one-on-one time goes a little long with child A, child B just has a longer recess or, in the case of the older child, might actually get a recess because he is usually doing independent work. We start early (around 8 - 8:30am) so I am usually good just going with lunch when we are done, whatever time that happens to be. I try to have a quick snack ready in case someone gets hungry. If lunch were an issue, we would just continue after lunch (which would be a real incentive not to dawdle in our house because my boys are used to being done with school and free after lunch). For us, this method is stress free because A) we are on a schedule and our schooltime is not chaotic and disorganized
B) we are under no time constraint to get done in 5 minutes

I would also add that I have followed Carrie's advice over the years and just do what the guide says without any extra or prolonging. Now, if my child has questions that is fine, I will answer them, but I don't drag it out at all.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:36 pm

I would take your schedule and do things in that order, but break for lunch at a certain time and either pick up the list at that point to finish or start with those items the next day (so the same things aren't getting skipped every day).

I do this. I make a schedule of the order of events and the time for lunch. We do our best, but with 7 children still at home and a business we own, life is not always predictable. If you are calm and peaceful and work hard during the time God blesses you with, what more can you ask? (No, I do not always attain this! But, it is my goal to grow toward.) The Bible promises us that the sweetness of lips increases learning. It is hard to be sweet if we are plowing through school.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:13 pm

We make a schedule allowing extra time, then follow it more like a routine. As we get farther along we get a little faster thereby taking less time. Mid-year I reevaluate and make any changes needed. Always adding more time into schedule/routine than expected.
It just gives them an extra break or two, or allows them to start on another subject sooner. Depends on what we need to get done besides school.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)