Algebra help: No-Nonsense + CTC Math online or Foerster

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tabitha

Algebra help: No-Nonsense + CTC Math online or Foerster

Post by Tabitha » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi all -

Just a quick question. I need to order the high school guide this weekend. My dd has had math woes so we've used a few things. After doing TT Pre-Alg. AND Math Essentials Pre-Alg last year, dd wanted to use Math Essentials No-Nonsense Algebra this year. We've been using it, and she is slowly noticing that Mr. Fisher doesn't quite cover all she needs or cover things as fully. So, we bought 2 years of the CTC Math program that covers all grades. Our plan was for her to fully go through their Algebra 1 as well alongside doing all the No-Nonsense one.

Question...has anyone else looked at the CTC Math program? Would the 2 Algebras together be sufficient to have everything covered nicely? Or, since dd is noticing that things could be done a little more in No-Nonsense, should I just go ahead and add in the Foerster's Algebra set? I don't want to spend another $160 right now IF what we have will be just fine.

I plan to show her some things online about Foerster's. See samples, and find a blog I once came across that shows the accompanying dvd. We'd be getting the full set of things if we bought this. I do think their step by step approach would be good for her. But again, saving money is nice if things are sufficient as is. I would prolly go with Foerster for Alg. 2 (they do have an Alg. 2, right?).

I am looking for thoughts and suggestions. As you can see, we do want math covered fully and when there is an issue we don't mind going through another program to ensure things are understood/mastered before moving on. In addition to the Pre-Alg. items, we also took a few weeks and went through the book Understanding Math from Counting to Calculus, stopping at the Alg. chapters just to help her work out any lower math kinks at that time.

Thanks for any advice anyone can chime in on this subject.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

Nealewill

Re: Algebra help: No-Nonsense + CTC Math online or Foerster

Post by Nealewill » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:44 pm

I personally don't quite have kids that old yet but have researched significantly pre-algebra programs as my oldest will start algebra in a year. If it were me, I don't think I would jump around. I don't know anything about the CTC algebra program that you are specifically talking about but I have looked at several. From what I have read about Foeresters, it seems very solid if you are preferring a book approach. One reason I picked HOD is because I always envisions using VideoText as my kids got older for both their algebra course and their geometry course. I loved that HOD recommends them. However, I have now reviewed Saxon, Derek Owens, and few others. My preference is that if you feel like one is lacking, then that program may not be the best fit. IMHO it is very difficult to combine programs. I have tried it for younger years but it just gets overwhelming. I don't mind pulling from here and there but by golly, no one is happy when I am dishing out the work. If you feel unhappy with your current program, I would probably just order in Foeresters. From what I read, everyone who has used it has given it a solid review. Those are just my two thoughts.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:14 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. I hear ya on the jumps.

I needed something to teach my dd. With youngers, I can't do it all. My dd has major complaints about voices, so finding a voice that doesn't irk her is hard. We only did 2 pre-alg because the approaches were slightly different, and if she didn't get it one way the other way she did.

CTC is a nice program. All online and NOT Common Core aligned. I will only use non-aligned materials. Plus, she LOVES the guys voice. That was a win-win. It has been stated here that the No-Nonsense Alg. is okay, but it could use more added to it to round it out. That is what we are doing with CTC alongside it.

I could give it more time, and order Foerster's later. However, if there was anyone familiar with CTC Math I wanted to get those opinions on our combo. If I order Foersters now, I'd get free shipping. :wink:

I plan for my others to go right through Teaching Textbooks, or up through Pre-Alg and then Foersters from then on. VideoText is not for us, so I don't need to worry about that.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:15 pm

Nealewill-your 9 yo will be in algebra in a year?? Wow!
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:11 pm

No one else with any high school math experience to chime in?

I am amazed too - a younger one going into Algebra! What a great mind for a child! My youngest seems to have more of a math mind, so time will tell what she does. My oldest one doesn't like it at all.

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:44 pm

This post was very helpful for me just today. Hope it helps you

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13789
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:39 pm

mskogen wrote:This post was very helpful for me just today. Hope it helps you

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13789
Thanks for that reminder. I haven't ordered yet, and still need to show my dd the Foerster dvd clips online and see how she feels about it compared to the lessons she's done so far with No-Nonsense. One comment about No-Nonsense so far is that they do not have a video for each lesson. There have also been 1-2 videos that were out of order as well.

I'll follow her lead. I think Foerster's would serve her well due to the step-by-step instruction. Having the others to fall back on is okay with me if that is what she feels we need to do.