Covers came off guides

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
swansonacad

Covers came off guides

Post by swansonacad » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:06 pm

I have had the covers fall off 2 guides, Preparing and Beyond. I was hoping someone here has had experience with this and knows of a glue product that can be ordered somewhere to fix it. I want to keep my guides in the original binding and do not want to take them apart... just need to find something that will hold them together. Thanks!
Debra

ednerisa

Re: Covers came off guides

Post by ednerisa » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:35 pm

My LHFHG tm's cover fell off right where the binding is at the beginning of the school year. I used Aleene's tacky glue generously and it has held up pretty well. That book has withstood a lot of use since then. Hth! :)

Christine

mothermayi?

Post by mothermayi? » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:27 am

Following. My CTC cover is coming off. Is this common among HOD guides?
~Began HOD Oct. 28, 2013
DS13 (7th) HOD RTR, MUS, DITHR 6/7/8
DS11 (5th) HOD CTC, Singapore & LOF, DITHR 4/5
DD6.5 (1st) MFW 1, Miquon Math, LOF
DD4.5 (PreK4) MFW K

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:20 am

I would try gorilla glue sold at lowes and Home Depot.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:39 am

I have quite a few and I haven't had any trouble.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:43 am

I haven't either. I have LHTH up to RES. To REF. It may have been a bad batch or something. My cover for RES. To REF looks rough because my son has been very rough with it. I noticed all the ones I had control of the guide look nearly new. Even when I used it 2 times.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

gardenmama28

Post by gardenmama28 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:21 am

I have only used LHFHG - and taken good care of it - and my cover started coming off halfway through the school year. I am considering having it spiral-bound rather than glueing it together. I have heard that office supply stores like Staples does this for a reasonable price.

Mamamindy

Post by Mamamindy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:23 pm

I had mine spiral bound at Office Depot. Costs about $4. I LOVE it! Makes it much easier to use in my opinion. You could also laminate the covers before binding to add extra durability. I will do this with all future guides. :D
Mindy ~ Christ follower, wife, mom to 5, homesteader
DD (18) Graduated! Off to Bible College
DD (17) Eclectic curriculum
DS (12) Ressurection to Reformation
DS (10) Preparing Hearts
DS (9) Preparing Hearts

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:14 pm

I saw one that was 3-hole punched and sadly the holes were tearing and so I didn't think that one would last long.... not long enough for my 4 kids for sure. But spiral bound, that sounds like a good way to do it! I will have to look into that.

The guides I've gotten new have all been really good so far. My Preparing guide is the roughest, and my DD does use it to read her independent stuff out of. We spilled something on the first few pages! Argh!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

mothermayi?

Post by mothermayi? » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:40 pm

I've taken good care of our guide as well but the cover is still coming off. I bought it new in Oct. Maybe I got a bad batch because the guide already had a deep bend on the corner that went through many of the pages. I will try the glue if we don't have it spiral bound :D .
~Began HOD Oct. 28, 2013
DS13 (7th) HOD RTR, MUS, DITHR 6/7/8
DS11 (5th) HOD CTC, Singapore & LOF, DITHR 4/5
DD6.5 (1st) MFW 1, Miquon Math, LOF
DD4.5 (PreK4) MFW K

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:30 pm

I have all but the HS guide. Mine have all lasted really well. I would just glue it if it were me. I have spiral bound several things, but I really like my HOD guides just the way they are. I think I like spiral, but then I just have to keep rewinding them as the pages start to come out of the spiral.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:05 am

I also have my spines cut off and put in a binder. Then I add tabs for the different sections and reorder them. So I put the current week in the front always. Then I put the poetry after it. Then I put any of the book list materials, math, spelling and such. Then the rest is in order as I got it. I used to use a planner before I started with HOD and I don't do that anymore. For me, seeing what is coming in the week ahead right in one small spot has been great all year. I also do this for my oldest dd with Preparing. And she likes having everything right in the front. I have already purchased my curriculum for next year and did this for those guides as well (Bigger and CTC).
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

swansonacad

Post by swansonacad » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:52 pm

I have many guides and treat them all well. Both of these covers (Beyond and Preparing) fell off shortly after/before our year began. I just want to glue them back together--no cutting apart. Dealing with a bulky binder or huge spiral binding would drive me crazy! I have some of that tacky glue, and since someone has had good results with it I'll try that. Exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thanks, Christine!
Debra

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:12 pm

I've only bought one new and it came with the cover almost coming off. I was so disappointed! I love my spiral bound Res to Ref. I have to check it and make sure it's not coming loose every now and then, but it's worth it to me.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

Prairiegirl40

Post by Prairiegirl40 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:02 am

I like to cover them with clear contact paper. It helps them withstand a lot more handling. :D