DIHTR dropped 1st? Wrong?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

DIHTR dropped 1st? Wrong?

Post by Gwenny » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:33 am

I keep trying to do DITHR, but when I am pressed for time (which tends to be almost everyday!ha) that is the first thing I drop. So, we barely ever do it. Both of my girls who are "doing" it really like it, but it's me. I'm having to spend about 5 1/2 to 6 hours a day teaching. I think I drop it first because I'm not convinced of the importance of literature analysis. I think I need to figure that one out. So, if it's important to fit it in, and it simply can't be done without dropping something else that day, what? I'm doing R&S 3 with my Preparing girl and we do it everyday. She has about 6 units to go in that and we are starting right up with CtC. Should I not do English on DITHR days? Is there something else?
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

MomtoJGJE

Re: DIHTR dropped 1st? Wrong?

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:07 am

I was doing the same thing... That extra 30 or so minutes really makes a difference doesn't it!

What I decided to do was to do DITHOR during our "breaks". So I'll do 6-8 units of the regular guides, then a DITHOR unit with math, English, dictation, and AWANA. We school year round, so it ends up being about the same. Because school takes about an hour on the days we do that, we can do it even when we have stuff going on, like VBS or something else.

In fact in a couple of weeks we will do one genre of DITHOR (when Grace finishes Bigger) and then we will do another genre about a month after that when Jayden finishes up CTC.

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:21 am

That's a great idea!
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:45 am

Hi, I noticed from another post that you dd doing Preparing is using the extensions. I would drop the extensions before DITHOR. Extensions are not really needed if the guide as written is already full enough for your child, even if they are a little older than the age range. HOD is made for short days so mom and child are happy :) DITHOR is really an integral part of the language arts in HOD. My two dds that used DITHOR benefited greatly from the many skills taught in DITHOR through the "slow digestion" of great books and activities that made them think.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:43 am

The problem with dropping extensions is that I really only have her read the books-I don't even do extra activities with her. (so I'm sorta having her do the extensions I guess) That won't help my day at all. :(
Nancy
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:38 pm

I know I have seen you on here before and with a similar struggle. You have an older child, and one with learning disabilities so I know your day is fuller than mine and getting all the work done would be a real challenge. Are you doing DITHOR with just the Preparing child or with the Preparing and CTC child? I would encourage you, just as we would never want to drop reading for our younger ones, DITHOR where they are reading AND analysing what they read carefully and understanding genres, story elements, how to break down and summarize something they've read, etc is critical to life-long learning. I am very weak in this area and as a result reading and understanding and retaining things is difficult for me. I love to read, and cannot comprehend well. When I was young, I learned to read early and enjoyed reading so my parents just let me read books on my own and didn't talk to me about what I was reading or help me in any skills related to reading books. I can read well, but my analysis skills are weak. I mean, I learned some in school about it, but I confess to not being a really serious student when something wasn't interesting to me.

I don't know if that influences your thoughts on DITHOR at all. I too would say have the child do DITHOR rather than reading extension books, if you had to drop one of those. If she likes the extension books and has time for them and it's not any trouble then keep them. You could make DITHOR relatively independent as long as it is going well. My guess is that you would have to spend a few weeks getting her used to what to do with it and that it WILL be done regularly (3 days a week) and not be dropped. So that would have to be more of a focus for a short while as you and she get into it. Then as it gets rolling (like with any guide you do) you can turn more of it over to her and just check over the worksheet(s) at the end. There are some days that are activity based, but there are also the "emergency options" at the end of the book if you just can't fit the day's activity in. Or if it happens a few times (not a bunch in a row) that she reads the pages but doesn't do the activity, or at least you try to talk to her about what the point of that activity is, do the best you can.

Most of us on here are busy moms with full workloads in one way or another. Things get dropped occasionally and it's okay. It's hard when it becomes a habit of dropping one certain thing and then you have to try to work it back in. One commitment I made to myself about a year ago was that rather than worry about getting through the "day" worth of work in a day, and then if I couldn't skipping over activities that I felt weren't as "necessary," that I would finish everything whether I got it done in one day or not. I feel like our schooling is much fuller that way. I have always liked the previous posters idea of doing DITHOR (I think she continues with Math and something else while having her DITHOR breaks) on its own, taking breaks from the guide to do that. I just have never tried to implement that myself. We are going ahead well with DITHOR as part of our school day and I hope it continues that way!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:42 pm

I just noticed that you are doing CTC, Preparing, Beyond Little Hearts and LHFHG all together! Whew! You are one busy Mama. That probably explains why DITHOR doesn't get done right now. How much longer will you be in those guides, are your children all on the same year schedule (so they would switch to new guides at the same time)? I think once you are able to move those kids up with more independence you will find it easier to fit DITHOR in.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks for talking it through with me. I am having the CtC and Preparing girls doing it. (haha, if you can call it that!) I do have them read the book to me still. A couple of thoughts on that--especially with the Preparing girl, I know that she doesn't need to read it to me, but I know that she likes to for some reason. I also think that learning to read out loud is a good skill. Problem: it's time. :) The older girl (one with LD) LOVES any time that she has me one on one and likes to read it to me out loud. She also could use the help making sure she pronounces things well. She's reading Concord Cunningham Scripture Sleuth to me right now. She's doing excellent with it and could probably do a higher level, but I think she likes feeling successful. Again: time :) I think I need to just buck up and do it. :) I probably need to put it first in our working together time to make sure it gets done. I think I've just been digging my heels in. :)

Something that might help understanding my thinking about literature study--with my older set of kiddos we did massive amounts of reading, we just devoured book after book. Me reading out loud and them reading to myself. I believe in the CM way of savoring, but I think old habits die hard. :)

Thanks!
Nancy
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Well, if you have been reading books together anyway, that's great. I am on the fence with my 9YO about having her read to me or having her read on her own. Generally I find that if she reads on her own she rushes and does not do well with the answers/activity afterwards. Also her fluency in reading aloud is sometimes better than others. She still struggles to sound out unfamiliar words, especially long ones. So I feel like I want her to read aloud to me, but I think I am going to start (as we move up to 4/5 level here in the next few weeks) having her read the first half to me and finish on her own. Just to save time. Thankfully she has grown in being able to do the assignments on her own, though I usually do talk over it with her first.

But if they are reading it ALL to you, then that is certainly why it is taking longer and feeling like it is bogging down your day. For example, do you realize how much faster you read silently than aloud? It is probably amplified with the kids (the difference between reading to yourself and reading aloud). I don't know what level of books your kids read for DITHOR and how much they have to read per day, but even the Level 3 book pack has some that have pretty long readings. Could you have them read part to you and part to themselves? Or on some days have them read it to themselves? Or if reading time is already a big part of your day and your time together could you try doing it in the evening, right before bed, or even with their Dad? Just some ideas.

Your dear oldest daughter. :D Of course she treasures the time reading with you. I know Carrie or Julie could explain even better than I did why DITHOR is important and why Lit study needs to happen one way or the other. Maybe you could even take DITHOR 1/2 speed, one day just read, the next day read (maybe have shorter sections to read on the days you do the activity) and do the day's DITHOR activity for 2 days worth of reading? Again I am kind of just firing out things that come to mind here, I may be totally off base so take what seems useful to you and leave the rest.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:32 pm

Okay...I just teared up when I read your line... "your dear oldest daughter". Yes, she is a dear and I'm grateful for her and I need to treasure the time instead of wishing it didn't have to be so hard. :)

Great ideas. I think I need to do the reading with her and have the other one just read a portion to me if at all. I know that she will continue to improve without me-she has no learning issues. The evening is a great idea. Thanks!! You are so right, the lit study is so important for her. She has a very hard time taking info and using it and relaying it to others. She can get off of the phone with someone who called and not really be able to tell you the message.

I knew I needed to ask this question of you all! Thanks again!

Blessings!
Nancy
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:29 pm

I love Carrie's ideas here...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11159&p=81165

Also, I'd do it first thing in the day for awhile - it gets done for sure then. :D Focus on getting 3-4 genres done a year at first, and you can always do 1 in the summer, on a break, or anytime just for fun. :D Once your dc get in the routine of it, it becomes second nature and they will take over much of it themselves. For example, I have my dc in fifth grade on up choose the kickoffs and final projects themselves (this is after we've done DITHOR a few years). They love to be in the driver's seat to choose, and I love that they are excited to do it! :D This year, due to my father's poor health, I only got through 3 genres with Riley. I am going to do another few genres this summer on our break after Emmett finishes his Emerging Reader's Set, as this will be great fun to do in the summer, and the 2 can do it up big together. :D Then, next official school year, I'll just do the remainder of the genes. Once you allow some flexibility like this with DITHOR, yet shoot for 4-5 genres a year somehow, it becomes great fun and like a book club feeling activity to look forward to. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie