helping verbs "help"

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

helping verbs "help"

Post by Gwenny » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:44 am

My daughter is doing R&S 3 and we just finished Lesson 88.

She consistently misses the helping verbs when asked to find the verb in the sentence and in diagramming. We have gone over and over it and gone back to the lessons on them. Does anyone have any hints for me to help her recognize them? When diagramming I also have her ask herself first, "what is the verb" and "who or what did the verb", etc. Is there a question I could have her ask herself to see if there is a verb phrase? Since we've been doing adverbs, her last diagramming she put all of the helping verbs on a slanted line under the verb.

Thanks!
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Daisy

Re: helping verbs "help"

Post by Daisy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:36 am

Memorize them. You can google Youtube for a song with all 23 of them sung to Jingle Bells. It really "helps". LOL.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:24 pm

I agree with memorizing them. We have made some cheat sheets at my house where I wrote the pronouns and helping verbs down on a sheet of paper and my dd keeps it with her. I also wrote down quick notes about adjectives. That cheat sheet seems to really clear up a lot with her. We are on lesson 83 in R&S 3 so we are very close to where you in the book.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:30 pm

My ds is in R & S English 4 and is JUST remembering these. :wink: I just wanted to share that, as I have found that it is in R & S English 5 and especially 6 that it seems everything clicks. :D I did write the helping verbs on an index card in the groupings they were taught in, and visually seeing this helped my visual learner. If you have an auditory learner, as my 2nd ds is, saying them out loud as we look at the card helps (or of course the song Daisy mentioned! :D ). Also, doing the oral review questions every single day from the Teacher's Guide helped. If my dc miss a question or just don't know the answer, I have them 'study' the answer in the teacher's guide, and then say it out loud several times to me without looking. This seems to work well for both my visual and my auditory learner. :D HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie