A year of pilgrims?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mothermayi?

A year of pilgrims?

Post by mothermayi? » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:08 pm

Is Beyond a year of pilgrims? How does your child handle talking about the same topic for so long? Is it hard for you as the teacher to teach about pilgrims for an extended period?
~Began HOD Oct. 28, 2013
DS13 (7th) HOD RTR, MUS, DITHR 6/7/8
DS11 (5th) HOD CTC, Singapore & LOF, DITHR 4/5
DD6.5 (1st) MFW 1, Miquon Math, LOF
DD4.5 (PreK4) MFW K

StephanieU

Re: A year of pilgrims?

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:17 pm

It is nor just pilgrims. It goes through 1865, so that is about 300 years of history cover.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:55 pm

I never thought of it as a year of pilgrims. :)

We loved Beyond. I learned so many new things that never were taught in school when I was young. My daughter loved so much about that year, especially the poetry. :)

Allison

alhempel

Post by alhempel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:22 pm

It is not all pilgrims. We are on unit 23 and beginning to get into the revolutionary war period. My two kids, 6 and 7, had no trouble with the amount of time we spent on the pilgrims. They loved it. We learned so much.
Alison

I-15- completed World History Guide
T-14- completed World Geography Guide
E -8 completed Bigger w/ emerging readers
M-6 In Beyond w/ Emerging Readers
G- 3 years and ready to start some school
C- 4 1/2 months

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm

My younger 2 also have LOVED the history portions. They never want me to stop reading LOL. We have thoroughly enjoyed all of it this year and had a blast with all of the hands on activities. They also love how it all tied together. I think a lot of times we as parents play an important role in how our kids react to school. I have adopted the philosophy that my kids will not complain and it isn't allowed in this house hold. And there are days we need to work on our attitude. But in general, they don't complain. They aren't allowed. Plus, I came from a very workbook driving curriculum style before to this because this is so much more fun and my kids remember so much more with a Charlotte Mason style of learning. So my kids (mainly my oldest) know that they love this so much more than what we did before. And there are some rough days but usually we get through the school day quickly and with a good attitude. And they genuinely enjoy what we are doing and learning. So we have been having a ton of fun and we have absolutely loved the Pilgrims.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:28 pm

My son had enjoyed Beyond so far. It doesn't seem like we are only talking about pilgrims even though that is as far as we've gotten. There are so many other things we talk about though, between Bible, storytime, science, DITHOR, etc that the Pilgrims in our history reading are only one part of it. We have thoroughly enjoyed our year so far and my son begs for more each day!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:58 am

I'd even venture to say it's not even half a year on pilgrims... You don't really talk about pilgrims (as pilgrims) until unit 8... before that it's about their experiences away from the US. So I suppose they are still pilgrims starting in unit 4 when they leave England, but it doesn't feel like it.

But then you move on to colonial times by unit 18... so you are really only discussing that time period for 10 units, and it covers SO MUCH STUFF and is so different with each different story (remember, the stories typically last more than one day) I've been through that part three (actually four because my oldest repeated Beyond) times and it always feels like we missed some stuff because it's gone so quickly, but we didn't!

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:23 pm

I also want to add that my daughter loved the history spines from Beyond so much, that two years later she went looking for them to read again. I had sold our Beyond set thinking that we weren't having more children (although the Lord had different plans :) ), and she was so disappointed. Anyway, just thought I would share again how much she enjoyed that year.

Allison

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:06 pm

We are on unit 19 of Beyond and my son LOVES the history! Loves! Everyday he asks "how about we do history first!" He is very fond of Squanto... we even made up a little game where I am Squanto and I traveled through time and he teaches me about the modern world and reminds me of things that happened to me in the history readings. LOL. The history readings are fantastic! We have learned so much. I say "we" because I do not think we covered any of this stuff in school when I was little... just dates and dry facts. DS really remembers it though! The stories are wonderful. It is better not to breeze through too quickly at this age. They like familiar characters that they can get attached to, I think. And the hands-on activities that go with the readings are memorable as well.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG