Science in Beyond

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mothermayi?

Science in Beyond

Post by mothermayi? » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:00 pm

How is the science in Beyond? Does it need to be supplemented for a science lover or is it just enough? What does a typical science lesson look like?

TIA
~Began HOD Oct. 28, 2013
DS13 (7th) HOD RTR, MUS, DITHR 6/7/8
DS11 (5th) HOD CTC, Singapore & LOF, DITHR 4/5
DD6.5 (1st) MFW 1, Miquon Math, LOF
DD4.5 (PreK4) MFW K

gardenmama28

Re: Science in Beyond

Post by gardenmama28 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:43 pm

I haven't taught Beyond yet, but from what I've seen the format is very similar to LHFHG, where science lessons happen twice a week and correlate with the history lesson.

My daughter will be in Beyond this fall, and while I see the value of tying the science to the history lesson, it felt a little too disjointed for me. I prefer a more systematic approach personally. I plan to use the science text from Beyond, still 2 days per week, but I am going to try reading straight through the book rather than skipping around. The text (God's Wonderful Works) is arranged to follow the days of creation as you study different areas of biology including weather patterns, animals, plants, etc. I like the way it is set up that way and feel like something is lost in the intent of the book if it is not followed sequentially. I also plan to supplement with some other science books I purchased second hand this spring - the Explore and Learn series by Southwestern Publishing (they have nice illustrations and some additional activities).

It seems to me from looking at the sample guides online that LHFHG and BLHFHG are the only guides that break up the science this way - in Bigger it looks like there is science every day, following the book straight through.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:20 pm

Yes, Beyond and LHFHG have similar science. It follows more of a CM philosophy of letting children explore and investigate their interests over book-type learning. I know some times we have pulled out other books we have for LHFHG or used the internet to find videos when my daughter was interested in certain topics. I also try to check out 1-2 science books from the library every three weeks on a variety of topics. This way we can casually study more science without it being true school work, which I think is age appropriate.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:48 pm

When my very Science oriented child was doing Beyond, we followed the book for the "official" part of school. However we added in a book about solar systems, simple experiments, and whatever else interested him at the time.
My child doing Beyond now is not that interested in Science, and what is scheduled is enough for him.
I certainly wouldn't plan another science curriculum, I would just let the child lead for whatever extra science is done. They would remember more that way, have more fun, and not be overwhelmed.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:39 pm

My son has enjoyed the science in Beyond. He loves all the hands-on experiments. We switched to Beyond in January and had already been using Apologia science so we have continued with it as well. It has been super easy to add on and only adds about 30 minutes to our day. All that to say, the science in Beyond is plenty, but if you want to add m more, it is doable as well.
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!