Singapore math or Horizon for K?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof3kids

Singapore math or Horizon for K?

Post by momof3kids » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi all,
Just thinking ahead for next yer for me second born son. He is 5 and will start LHFHG probably in July after we take a short break. He has some visual issues, but is very bright and doing well with LHTH. My oldest is doing 1A/1B with Beyond and doing pretty well with it, but I have not used any other levels....I did not teach him K, he was in ps.....so, if anyone has used either of these for K, I would love some input. Are there activities in the LHFHG like there are in Beyond?
How is Horizon math? Seem a lot use this, it looks bright and interesting.....but is it distracting especially with vision issues?? Like I said this is our first K year, so figuring it all out.....thanks ladies :D
Married almost 13yr..dh and great father
5 blessings from God, 1 in heaven
9 yo ds- Preparing DITHOR
8 yo ds- Bigger
5 yo dd- Jut starting Little Hearts half speed
Baby boy born September 2014, now 2yo

agstefko

Re: Singapore math or Horizon for K?

Post by agstefko » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:39 pm

I have used both programs for K and really prefer Singapore mainly because there is so much writing in Horizons and it can be overwhelming, brought my ds to tears our first year. They are both good programs, but truthfully Singapore with the activities that are in the guides are really great :)
Amy married 12 great years to Tony and mom to
Noah 10, Kayla 8 BHFHG, Brie TRL, SM, Tony Jr 3, Nicholas 9 months

StephanieU

Re: Singapore math or Horizon for K?

Post by StephanieU » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:53 pm

If you like how Singapore is done in 1A and 1B, I would stick with Singapore. We are using Horizons (finishing 1B tomorrow), and I considered moving to Singapore. But, I realized they are slightly different in scope and sequence, so it might frustrate my daughter having to do things again. And she likes the spiral approach. Singapore is mastery, which works great for some kids too. I think they are both great programs - my top picks for spiral and mastery approaches.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)