Placement 8 and almost 10 yr old boy

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
djemommy

Placement 8 and almost 10 yr old boy

Post by djemommy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:07 pm

I am new to homeschooling so I have a billion and one questions but the top ones are hard to figure out. And I need some help. We are so excited we found HOD and are excited to experience it .
Our kiddos are currently 9,7 yr old boys and 5 and 1 yr old girls.
So my first question is my youngest boy will turn 8 in sept and my 9 year old will turn 10 in dec. my 7 yr old is highly motivated and loves working hard ( not so with my oldest) so I think we have landed on preparing guide but I am a bit nervous my 7 yr old isn't quite to that reading level yet. I am planning on trying to have him work on emerging reader set this summer but how do I know if he will be ok in preparing?
Also maybe this is a dumb question but with drawn into heart or reading do u buy 2 different book sets? Or how do I do that? I was assuming getting level 2 for younger and level 3 for older??
Thanks for any or all advice.

StephanieU

Re: Placement 8 and almost 10 yr old boy

Post by StephanieU » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:23 pm

Does the 7yo pace skill-wise in Preparing? I would be reluctant to use Preparing with a 7 yo. It is designed for 8-10yo, and most families find it best for older 8yos or 9yos. So, I would see if Bigger is a better option (meant for 7-9yo). As for DITHOR, it depends on how you structure your day. If you have them doing the DITHOR reading at different times, you can just use one book pack for both boys, assuming they are at the same reading level. But, if they are at different levels, then you would use different books. But, if you buy the package from HOD with the teacher and student workbook, you also get a book list. Many families find that the libraries have books on that list so they don't have to buy DITHOR reading books.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:18 pm

For DITHOR you would need one Teacher's Guide, two Student Workbooks, and then whichever books you plan to have them reading (sounds like you were thinking level 2 and level 3 books).

Preparing would be really difficult for a child just turned 8. If he is really sharp and ahead, and has a long attention span for his age, is used to listening to, comprehending, and narrating longer readings then it might be possible. There is also a lot of writing in Preparing, each guide has more writing requirements of the students. But I think you should really think hard about that, especially transitioning to a whole new way of thinking/learning. Going with something "easier" might be a good way to start, less frustrating for him and for you. You could still combine them and use the extension books with the older one, independent reading for him to do and deeper understanding of the material that way.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:12 pm

Did you look at Bigger with extensions for the older boy? How would that work skill-wise for both?
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Welcome to the HOD board! The ladies raised some good questions to ponder. As he's turning 8 yo in Sept., maybe you could see how he is doing with his reading at the end of the summer and reevaluate placement then? If his writing, math, grammar place in PHFHG, and it is just his reading that needs to improve slightly, then PHFHG may be fine. If he is more squarely fitting in BHFHG in all areas at that point, BHFHG would be a better fit for him, and you can always add the extensions if you would like for your older ds. But what do you think? :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

djemommy

Post by djemommy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:22 pm

You all have been so helpful for this newbie homeschool moma!
Yes I think he would do better in the bigger plan. I never even thought of that there would be an adjustment . That is so true. And I totally think you all are right, better to start out slow and steady instead of jumping in too deep!
Thank you so much for all your help!! Life saver!!
Tina