Need to enrich science for DS6...how?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hs.mama07

Need to enrich science for DS6...how?

Post by hs.mama07 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:05 am

Hi. I'm about to start Beyond with my gifted DS6 and need some advice. He's advanced in science and Beyond science is too easy for him. I think we'll probably do some of it anyway b/c it just looks like fun, but he would really benefit from and enjoy something more challenging (and he really wants to do science every day). LHFHG science was too easy for him too so I did a lot of my own enrichment, but it'd be SO great to just have a higher-grade level curriculum to follow.

I've looked at some science curricula that would be great for him, but all the topics are covered in later HOD guides...and some of the same curricula I've found is used later too. Not sure what the best course would be, so before I get started with anything I wanted to see if anyone has any advice. Thanks so much!

StephanieU

Re: Need to enrich science for DS6...how?

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:29 am

How about looking for a science curriculum meant for K-2 that is a full year's worth of material? I know there are some out there other than Apologia, etc that you see HOD using later. These would be age-appropriate while still having something to do most days of the week.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

hs.mama07

Post by hs.mama07 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Thanks Stephanie! :-). I'm thinking he may need something older than K-2, but if I do that it makes me wonder what we'll do later.

For example, he's really into astronomy and I like the look of God's Design for Astronomy. But then later, HOD does Apologia Astronomy. So it'd be sort of a repeat. Not sure if that's a wise idea...

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:15 pm

I did a search (using Cathy Duffy reviews, etc), and there are some other options for K-4 out there. Real Science for Kids, Elemental Science, Real Science Odyssey, Nancy Larson, Noeo Science, etc. I think any of these might work. I personally wouldn't do Apologia because HOD will use it later.
Mom to

hs.mama07

Post by hs.mama07 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:28 pm

Thanks, I'll take a look at those. I guess if there's some overlap later it's not the end of the world. :-)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:32 pm

I would think covering astronomy twice wouldn't be an issue at all. I just personally wouldn't want to use the same book twice for the same subject. Answers in Genesis has some too. HOD uses one as an option in RtR (God's Design: Our Weather and Water), but I don't think they use any of the others.
Mom to

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:54 pm

You could just do the extra unassigned experiments in "God's Wonderful Works." Or, take the science topic covered in Beyond, and have ds research more about it via books from the library or online resources. Of course at 6 yo, he'll probably need you to read it for him and do the experiments with him, so that may depend on how much time and effort you are wanting to invest in it. We enjoyed simply keeping a nature journal together at that age, which is something Charlotte Mason recommended. We went on daily walks in all kinds of weather, and sketched any and every kind of plant, animal, cloud, insect, and/or vegetation we happened upon! We then picked up local bird books, plant identification guides, etc., and drew our findings in nature journals that were 5 x 7 bound sketchbooks. Charlotte Mason was a huge advocate of getting out in the fresh air in all kinds of weather and environments! She even bought boots and umbrellas for those rainy days. Of course, a grown-up nature journal is scheduled in MTMM, so if that is not something you'd enjoy, than that is coming later too!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:20 pm

We have also embraced the library and nature studies for the past 3 years. This has been a great fit for us. I found that having so much formal learning and schooling was not enjoyable. So we just spent time outside and we explore, explore, explore! My kids love to figure things out and to do various scientific activities. But they love it so much more if it is what they love learning about rather than me giving them more to learn about.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Have you checked your local libraries for science clubs and the like? My boys went to one this year called beaker kids. It was fun and neat and they were around other kids and then we could pick up suggested books right in the library. I would check for things like that to get science enrichment. :)
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:18 pm

If you found a curriculum that works I would say go with it, and don't worry about topics being repeated later. As someone else said, I wouldn't want to repeat the same BOOK later but doing the same concepts in a different way would be really beneficial. There are many repeated topics in science anyway, and as they get older we just discuss them more in depth than before and understand more of how and why things happen the way they do.

Though doing nature walks and studying the things around you are always a good idea too. Keep it easy and fun.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

hs.mama07

Post by hs.mama07 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:38 am

Wow! Thanks everyone! We do lots of library/internet to study the topics deeper but haven't done any nature study. That sounds like fun! And I think I will also add a formal curriculum on off-days/easy-days just to give me a bit of a break--but we're going to do it very laid-back, just for fun to satisfy his curiosity.
We do a sci club once a month...I think that's all that's offered in our area but it's been a while since I checked so that'd be good to do too.
Thanks again! I really appreciate your comments and feel more confident going forward now! :-D

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:33 am

We are going to get a zoo membership soon (next week actually), and we are going to use that for extra science with Beyond. Our zoo isn't huge, but there are definitely enough animals and plants to fill more than a year if we go every week or two. And then we will do some nature studies (we are part of a CM homeschool group that does nature walks twice a month). And then we just add in extra books as desired/wanted. But, I think having something that is meant for 1st-4th on hand to use when desired wouldn't be a bad idea. You could spend a couple of years doing that.
Mom to

hs.mama07

Post by hs.mama07 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:38 pm

Yeah, that was my thought too--something easy to have on hand that I can pull out for non-science days (or just when he's wanting something sciencey to do). I like the God's Design series b/c it is for grades 1-8 so there is a wide range of skill levels to choose from. He's such a fun little guy with so much energy and so smart...it's just nice to have the freedom to teach to his level. Another reason to love homeschooling :-D

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:45 pm

Have you seen the Magic School bus science experiment kits that are a monthly mail subscription? I have seen them on zulily, educents and other discount websites. They are basically kits mailed out monthly for a year.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

hs.mama07

Post by hs.mama07 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Thanks! That sounds really fun--I'll check it out :-)