Question about Preparing with two children.....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Allison TX

Question about Preparing with two children.....

Post by Allison TX » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:47 am

Hi Everyone! It's been a while since I last posted, we recently moved and things are just beginning to get back to normal around here. :)

Anyway, I have been looking over the first week of Preparing plans (it looks wonderful! :D ) and I am wondering how to do the Independent sections with two kids. Would they work on the Science readings, experiments, and notebooking together? Or would you have one do the Ind. History reading while the other is working on Science, and then switch? I hope that's not too confusing. :oops: Thanks for your help! :D

Allison

Currently using Bigger with two ds ages 8 and 9
Getting ready to start Little Hearts with dd age 5

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:24 pm

Allison,

I'd probably have them do the experiments together but schedule the rest to be done separately. But, you could easily do it the other way as well. :D

My older son would often overshadow my younger son if they did their readings and assignments together. That may not be the case at your house. :wink:

It truly would work either way.

Blessings,
Carrie

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:00 am

Thank you Carrie! :)

I have another question for you.....
My older son does overshadow the younger one frequently. They are only a year apart in age but more like 2 years developmentally. I have often thought about having them in seperate programs, but can't decide if that would take too much time. Part of me would like to start Preparing in the fall with my 10 year old and continue with Bigger for my 8 year old(almost 9). But then I will also have a 5 year old in Little Hearts. How hard would it be to do three programs? Or do you have any other ideas? Thanks so much!

Allison

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:35 am

Allison,

In this situation, it really depends on how independent your older son is? My oldest is very independent and strong-willed and very much enjoys being in charge of his learning (with me in the helper role). :wink:

The more of his day he could take over on his own, the happier he was. So, if this is the case with your older son, you could use the first 9 weeks of the school year to "train him" to use the Preparing guide very independently. You could be doing "Bigger..." and "Little Hearts..." at half-speed during this "training period". After the training is over, bump "Bigger Hearts..." up to full-speed, still keeping "Little Hearts..." at half-speed. Once you hit your stride with "Preparing..." and "Bigger....", then bump up "Little Hearts..." to full-speed.

During the "training period", require a very high standard of work from your oldest. Set the timer and keep him on schedule. Schedule the places where he is to do his work when. Have him check off his items and hand them all in. Go over the directions in each box with him as you check his work to make sure he followed them all. This will teach him to read directions carefully.

In Preparing..., you would still be scheduling some time to do the questioning and discussions scheduled in the Reading About History box (but he could read the readings himself), be doing the Bible discussion of the Psalms scheduled on Days 1-2 (he'd be independent on Days 3-4), teaching the poetry lesson, and most likely doing the storytime read-alouds. But, the rest of the guide can really be done independently.

I do still teach the grammar lesson to my oldest also, and dictate his passages for spelling, and we do still do the DITHR discussions together too on alternating days as scheduled in DITHR.

Just some food for thought.

Blessings,
Carrie

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:14 pm

Thank you Carrie. You have given me lots to think about. I am wondering if doing this will make our school day run smoother, even if it is a bit longer. I'm going to write it down and see how it all fits into our day. Thanks for being so helpful! :)

Allison